Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

4 edits

3 recommendations

EliteData

Premium Member

[video] Vehicle fire on the L.I.E. in N.Y. - 4/30/06

At the 106/107 exit 41, on the shoulder of the Long Island Expressway.
It happened on Sunday, April 30.
Video was shot by my friend, using a Canon XL-1 Camera.
My friend was driving directly behind the vehicle and started to see smoke then flames.
The driver (female) immediately pulled to the shoulder and vacated the vehicle with her toddler.
Video is encoded with MPEG4.
Audio is encoded with MP3.

EDIT--Video attachment below this post.
[attachment=2]
EliteData

EliteData

Premium Member

4-30-06.zip
23,047,720 bytes
(4-30-06.avi)
Encoding this video to an acceptable file size from 4GB to 23MB and trying to keep some of the quality, has been challenging.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman

Premium Member

Geat footage. Sell it to the news.

BodyBumper
join:2004-06-21
Beverly Hills, CA

BodyBumper to EliteData

to EliteData
Which brand camera did you use and how much does it cost?
Expand your moderator at work

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to BodyBumper

Premium Member

to BodyBumper

Re: [video] Vehicle fire on the L.I.E. in N.Y. - 4/30/06

Canon XL1 About $2,400 retail.
I plan on purchasing the Canon XL H1 (HD version).
EliteData

EliteData to Rifleman

Premium Member

to Rifleman
said by Rifleman:

Geat footage. Sell it to the news.
The local news (News 12) here on Long Island, didnt want it.

Kaotic
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
South Beloit, IL

Kaotic to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData
I am always amazed at how intensely vehicles burn. If any firefighters see this thread could you explain why this is ? Is it becuase they hit the flash ove point much quicker, or is just the amount of oxygen that makes them so intense ?

BTW, cool video although its sucks for the vehicles owner. Glad to know they got out safely.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Kaotic:

I am always amazed at how intensely vehicles burn. If any firefighters see this thread could you explain why this is ? Is it becuase they hit the flash ove point much quicker, or is just the amount of oxygen that makes them so intense ?

BTW, cool video although its sucks for the vehicles owner. Glad to know they got out safely.
I'm not a fireman, but maybe because there are so many flammable materials on the inside of the vehicle. The seating material lights up VERY easily.

chia
join:2003-12-20
Fort Lauderdale, FL

chia to EliteData

to EliteData
Is a burning car something you really want to drive by? The flames got pretty intense before they closed off the passing traffic.

Cool vid, thanks.

Dont Buy this car
@comcast.net

Dont Buy this car to EliteData

Anon

to EliteData
Don't sell it to the news, sell it to the car manufactor! Do you want to pull your baby out of THAT! I have seen a couple of car fires, but this one was way too intense unless there was a meth lab inside of the car.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

Irun Man to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

Whoa

That's a late model Honda Odyssey, I hope that wasn't the result of a defect. Minivans usually grow quite a few.

Probably the last oil change went bad and oil somehow got to a hot exhaust manifold.

rspsas
Trust No One
join:2001-08-12
Piscataway, NJ

rspsas to chia

to chia

Re: [video] Vehicle fire on the L.I.E. in N.Y. - 4/30/06

said by chia:

Is a burning car something you really want to drive by? The flames got pretty intense before they closed off the passing traffic.

Cool vid, thanks.
agreed - i can see why the news didn't want the video. the police did nothing to block traffic until the fire department arrived. what if there was an explosion?

BodyBumper
join:2004-06-21
Beverly Hills, CA

BodyBumper

said by rspsas:
said by chia:

Cool vid, thanks.
agreed - i can see why the news didn't want the video. the police did nothing to block traffic until the fire department arrived. what if there was an explosion?
Nothing much unless it was packed with oxygen tanks or explosives but if there is a class action suit I'm sure he could sell the video to CNN or to a law firm that may want to use it in a commercial.
pilotsr
join:2002-08-08
Twentynine Palms, CA

pilotsr to EliteData

to EliteData
Amazing footage! Thanks for keeping it going throughout the duration, don't get to see it like that very often, especially while driving down the highway and having to pass by and just get a quick glimpse.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData
That Van was burning as any car would. All that plastic, oil,foam etc makes one nasty fire when it gets going. I used to drive in demolition derbies. I was welding the back fender of a 78 Cadillac----I turned around to put the torch away and next thing I knew it was on fire. It took 3 extinguishers, and finally a pumper to put it out. It was a bigger attraction than the derby.

WickedWinter
join:2003-08-02
USA

WickedWinter to BodyBumper

to BodyBumper
Notice the headlights were on until 36 seconds in to the video. Guess the source was not under the hood.

bobny1
join:2004-09-10
Bronx, NY

bobny1

After watching that video I won't be able to sleep at night. I own one of those Honda Ody minivans and can not imagine my wife and kids in that situation. I hope is not a Manufacturing defect. Very sad indeed.

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData
You just happened to have an XL-1 lying around in the car?

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

from the way the flames spread really fast under the vehicle, id have to say there was gasoline, alot of it, under the vehicle.
in the video, you can see and hear the airbags exploding as well as the windows and the left front tire.
you can also see the headlamps go out and hear the horn go off shortly after as the contact switch in the steering column and many other wires short out.
the vehicle was running during the fire, but not known when it finally stalled out.
there was also speculation that there were flammable materials in the vehicle, not exactly known what though.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

stevek1949

Premium Member

Found this. May not be the issue, but it could be a suspect:

2003 HONDA ODYSSEY FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Recall Date: 01/16/2003

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, SOME FUEL TANKS HAVE SURFACE IMPERFECTIONS THAT COULD ALLOW FUEL TO LEAK FROM THE TANK.

Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANK FOR SURFACE IMPERFECTIONS. IF ANY IMPERFECTIONS ARE FOUND, THE FUEL TANK WILL BE REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JANUARY 16, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Potential Units Affected: 8857

Notes: HONDA ODYSSEY

sega626
@tds.net

sega626 to EliteData

Anon

to EliteData
If someone ever finds out the cause, please let us know. I too own an Odyssey like that.
I am surprised the mom and child didn't look very shaken up, as I would have expected.
sega626

sega626 to stevek1949

Anon

to stevek1949
Oh, and the recall affects 2003 Odyssey, that one was a '05 or '06. No such recall on that.....yet.

eXodus5
Premium Member
join:2005-08-04
Rockaway, NJ

eXodus5 to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData
Why did you just happen to have an XL-1 in the car??

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by eXodus5:

Why did you just happen to have an XL-1 in the car??
my friend was taking it back home from a photo shoot.
thats why the picture isnt as good as it should be - no time to mess with the settings.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData
That fire was a lot more intense than other vehicle fires I've seen. I think that's because doors were open on both sides, allowing plenty of oxygen inside.

I agree that it was a fuel-related fire. There was a lot of burning material under the vehicle and the engine compartment was not involved.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

yeah.
had she closed the doors, it wouldnt have been so intense.
but from what my friend tells me, she "jumped" out the drivers side door, ran to the passenger sliding door, grabbed her child and ran away.
she took nothing else with her.
the cellphone she was using towards the end of the video was a passerbys.

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul

Premium Member

I dont blame her. Just glad everyone was safe
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to chia

Premium Member

to chia
said by chia:

Cool vid, thanks.
Yeah really...from the moment the vid started that cop sat behind the car and just let traffic continue to drive right by the burning car..it could have blew across all the lanes...idiot!

It wasn't until the fireman started putting the fire out that he finally stops and diverts traffic....

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by sailor:
said by chia:

Cool vid, thanks.
Yeah really...from the moment the vid started that cop sat behind the car and just let traffic continue to drive right by the burning car..it could have blew across all the lanes...idiot!

It wasn't until the fireman started putting the fire out that he finally stops and diverts traffic....
well i wouldnt want to be stuck in the LIE parking lot either, i would take my chances and drive by it.
from the video, you can see alot of drivers turning into the middle/fast lane to try and get away from it and some drivers nearly stopping, too scared to pass.