share rss forum feed

steve1a
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA

8 recommendations

[POLL] Preferred Image Viewer(s)

As defined by Wikipedia:

An Image Viewer or image browser is a computer program that displays a stored graphical image; it can often handle various graphics file formats.

Such software usually renders the image according to properties of the display such as color depth and
display resolution.

Some people use full-featured bitmap graphics editors as image viewers.
A person with, for example, Adobe Photoshop may have no need for a separate image viewer.

Others may find that full-featured bitmap graphics editors load too slowly and keep a separate viewer for simply displaying images.

Many image viewers feature:

•Basic viewing operations such as zooming and rotation.
•Slide shows
•Printing
•Cataloguing

Multiple Choice Poll
>What is Your Preferred Image Viewer(s)?

AcdSee

Adobe Photoshop Album SE (free)

Cam2PC

CompuPic

Corel Photo Album

FastStone ImageViewer (free)

Firehand Ember

FlipAlbum

The Gimp (free)

Imagstik (free)

iPhoto

IrfanView (free)

Microsoft Paint (included with the OS)

Microsoft Office Picture Manager (included in the Office Suite)

Microsoft Picture Viewer (included with the OS)

Picasa (free)

Pixels (free)

Studioline Photo Basic

ThumbsPlus

Ulead Photo Explorer

Ulead Photo Impact

Ultimate Paint

VuePrint

Xequte MegaView

XnView (free)

None

Other

Participants:399

This year's list is hopefully pretty comprehensive but if your preferred choice still isn't listed and you choose "other" please provide us with a link to your preferred application.

Note: Some entries from last year's poll have been absorbed by other companies and rebranded.

Many others have had updates:
If you prefer an Older Version please post any reasons for this preference.

Also this year's poll allows for multiple choice(s) ...

Only one vote per person but you can tick off more than one "choice".

thanks for participating in our 2006 Member Choice FAQ !
--
Got a VAIO? Visit the Village:»www.vaiovillage.com

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Great compilation, Steve!

Multiple choice, I voted Infranview & Paint (simple needs here)

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to steve1a
Irfanview -- does everything I want and the plug-ins available provide some additional capabilities.
--
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-31
Raleigh, NC

1 edit
reply to steve1a
Along with ACDSee, my "other" is PolyView. I discovered this viewer/editor on a CD that came in one of the computer magazines I picked up at a news stand many years ago.

It is shareware, but at $25 it's well worth it.

Although over 10 years old, the author is still updating and improving this application regularly. I've even worked with him some and he has incorporated some of my ideas into the program.
--
I used to know all this stuff!

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to steve1a
Irfanview here for most functions.
But I have tweaked windows so that folders do not show thumbnails of pictures. basically for speed/resources when I go to those folders.
So I also wanted a separate image viewer to view images in various folders, and FastStone Image viewer fits the bill perfectly.
--
To be on a pedestal is to be in a corner

steve1a
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA
reply to steve1a
Kudos to MSeng See Profile for giving me such a great foundation from last year's Poll/FAQ to build on.

I'm definitely a multiple choicer... one of my systems has 11 of the above on it

On a actual preferred use basis I find myself relying on ACDSee mostly because of the right click menu preview with the included PicaView and also FastStone has quickly become a personal favorite for a lot of the everyday ease of use features it has.
--
Got a VAIO? Visit the Village:»www.vaiovillage.com

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
reply to steve1a
I picked Irfanview and The GIMP. Like The GIMP for animations and Irfanview for general stuff.
--
We Run Folding@Home!

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA
reply to steve1a

... I use XnView and, very rarely, MS Paint ... I keep threatening to check out Gimp, but haven't so far ...

... good job on the poll, steve1a ...

--

... "that good old-fashioned Medicated Goo" ...

Jrb2
Premium
join:2001-08-31
kudos:3
reply to steve1a
I use (and voted for) CompuPic.
I'm using CompuPic Pro for years (on Win98SE).
(It has been a long time ago since a new version was released).

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Troutdale, OR
reply to Santa Fe
said by Santa Fe:

I picked Irfanview and The GIMP. Like The GIMP for animations and Irfanview for general stuff.
What he said ..
--
Opera 8.53 ..You don't see many globe-humping-foxes in Opera either.

chanur
Premium
join:2001-02-26
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to steve1a
Microsoft Picture Viewer.

Practically no load time, I can step through images quickly, or just step through those Ive selected.

If I need to edit, has an icon for that which then pops it open in PSP 10 (or whatever your default image editor is set to).

Speed is the primary reason... Load time on most of the ones on the list... irritate.

bouchecl

join:2004-09-13
Quebec, QC

1 recommendation

reply to steve1a
Click for full size
A screen capture of gThumb
I voted for gThumb, a GNOME utility (linux-only) with much the same functionality as ACDSee. It's fast, it does all the viewing features described by the OP and of course it's free!

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to steve1a
Microsoft Office Picture Manager, it works fine.

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7
reply to steve1a
I've always been a fan of Irfanview

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to steve1a
I use Irfanview practically every day, for all my simple resize/resample/crop operations.
Great little program.
--
~Help find a cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
kudos:1
reply to steve1a
Voted for IrfanView and FastStone ImageViewer.

Been a long time user of IrfanView.

Been using FastStone ImageViewer because of its support for Olympus (digicam) ORF file, imaging, screen capture and annotation features.

For photos still using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 along with The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements

Lucky
I am...outta here
Premium
join:2006-05-11
South Bay
reply to steve1a
Irfanview here. (sometimes Paint...simple needs here too).

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
I voted for Microsoft Picture Viewer. It displays my pics fast. I have no need for third party programs just to display my images.
--
Never living, always surviving.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to steve1a
Irfanview mainly.
I have Adobe Elements as well, but it takes too long to open for general viewing/simple editing.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Chizep
Premium
join:2002-04-07
Concord, NC
reply to steve1a
I use Windows Picture & Fax Viewer for viewing 95% of pictures on my PC. Anything that isn't associated with that gets opened in Paint Shop Pro.

I also use it to quickly rotate photos and to invoke the Windows XP Photo Printing Wizard.

thephantom

join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA
reply to MSeng
I'm with Sir Raleigh. I've been using Polyview for years. It is the only shareware program I found worth paying for. It has a very large feature set and makes it really simple to browse through your photos. The author keeps updating the program and I've seen him take suggestions from people and incorporate them into the next dot release with amazing speed. It may not do the intensive editing of others, but for my needs it is pretty much It!

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
reply to steve1a
Voted for Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. It loads without delay and is all I've really needed (for viewing only). I use Microsoft Picture It! Photo Premium for editing and printing.

mers2
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-20
USA
kudos:8
reply to steve1a
I use 2 programs primarily: Photofiltre »www.photofiltre.com/ which has a lot of plug-ins and is an excellent freeware program and an old commercial version of Graphic Workshop Professional »www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwspro.html. Between the 2 programs I can do pretty much everything I need.
--
Team Discovery

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to steve1a
Great job steve1a See Profile !

And the multiple choice Polls this year are a very nice change....especially since I voted for several programs in this category.

For general viewing, I find that I use the Microsoft Picture viewer a lot...It's just quick and easy.

Of course (like many here I'm sure), I still love and use Irfanview.
It's like an old friend I've used it for so long. (Even if I stopped using it, I think it would bug me not seeing it in my start menu somewhere)

A new addition for me this year is Picasa.
I really love the interface and the customizations for organizing and viewing photos. (Pretty cool program for another freebie!)

I also voted for AcdSee.
I don't use it much anymore, but have had it for quite a while and it's a decent program, so figured it deserved a vote.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
reply to steve1a
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to take a quick look at something, IrfanView for quick edits, and PhotoShop Elements 4 to view and organize pictures from my digital camera. It's about the only way to see the 13,000+ pictures from my cameras in one place.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 edit
reply to steve1a
I voted other since i don't see Paint.Net on the list.

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium
join:2002-04-12
reply to steve1a
ACDSee 3.1 SR-1. I have tried every version since then up to 7.0 but it seems ACDSee has gone down hill since then as far as its file management features go.

I also have Irfanview but seldom use it.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to steve1a
Paint. It does its job, so I don't need anything else just to display an image.

jrobcet

join:2003-02-16
Moscow, ID
reply to steve1a
My vote goes to iPhoto. I just recently switched to Mac, and have moved my entire photo collection to iPhoto. Having the ability to create smart albums has made handling a large collection of photos much easier.

johnny_t
Premium
join:2004-03-21
Palo Alto, CA
PShop CS2