spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aconnell
join:2002-06-04
Saint Johns, FL

aconnell

[Wired] Setup of BEFSX41 for PPPoE

I'm on my second BEFSX41 in two days after returning my first that Linksys online chat support said was defective, but I'm having the exact same problem I had yesterday.

When I try to change the connection type to "PPPoE" from the default "Obtain an IP automatically", the page refreshes but the selection goes back to the default "obtain an IP..." and no username/password boxes are provided as displayed in the help to enter my credentials for my ISP (Bellsouth FastAccess DSL).

I've tried updating the firmware to the latest, but everytime I try that, I get an error: "upgrade action is not finish!! upgrade file pattern error."

I have read the negative posts about the OOTB firmware I have being a POS. However, I suspect that the problem is not related to my firmware. I've performed numerous hard resets.

Is this router simply DOA and should I look to another brand while I still have my receipt?

BEFSX41 -v2 -firmware 1.50.18

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Have you tried flashing to one of the stable firmwares:? »[wired] Recap: BEFSX41 Stable Firmware

Use IE to flash with if you will be using the built in Web page flashing procedure. Use the TFTP tool, if you flash with a Mozilla-based browser. Long reset before flashing and again after the flash is completed.

YeOldeStonecat
join:2001-03-19
Groton, CT

YeOldeStonecat to aconnell

to aconnell
Also what kind of modem do you have sitting in front of it?

I've deployed just probably over 300 of the sx41 routers...it's my favorite "under 100 dollar" router. I also still backflash new units to 1.45.7.

smokes14
join:2003-02-09
Madison, VA

smokes14 to aconnell

to aconnell
I too have this model and I use this firmware as I have found it stable and the others not so stable.

Firmware: 1.45.7, Dec 30 2003
Current Time: May 17 2006 Wed. 7:31:59
Login: PPPoE
aconnell
Saint Johns, FL

aconnell

I was able to update the firmware to 1.51 using the web interface. It looks like the firmware I WAS trying use in my initial update was for v1 (although their website lists it as a download for v2). So I'm not running 1.51.

However I'm still having a problem where I can't get my PPPoE selection to "stick". ideas?

Flogator
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Cantley, QC

Flogator

Premium Member

FYI, BEFSX41 firmware is common for both v1 and v2. Therefore, all BEFSX41 firmware you have seen, heard or used are compatible with both v1 and v2.
Antischism
join:2006-02-22

Antischism to aconnell

to aconnell
try to delete temp files on your computer

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to aconnell

Premium Member

to aconnell
V1.50.ANYTHING SUCKS for DSL... I hear Cable guys like it, but I couldn't get it to work...

Try V1.52.9 or V1.52.10
aconnell
Saint Johns, FL

aconnell

I've tried deleting all my temp files, my cookie, clearing my cache, disabling popup blocker, disabling antivirus... still nothing.

Any other ideas? Two seconds short of returning this.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to aconnell

MVM

to aconnell
What browser are you using when the setting doesn't stick? Do you have another one to try to set PPPoE?

I have seen instances of other settings (but not the one you are having trouble with) not sticking for me. To fix my setting problem, I would have to enter and apply only that particular setting change twice with a closing and reopening of the browser in between the setting change.
aconnell
Saint Johns, FL

aconnell

I'm using IE6, but I also tried FireFox... unfortunately the page refresh is triggered by a postback (triggered the second the selected item in the connection type drop down list changes). What's odd is I can change some of my DHCP settings lower on that page, click APPLY, and they stick.

I can't believe how poor Linksys support has been. Tried two online chat sessions and all they say is "return the router". Well, I've already done that once. Then their email support simply says "update the the latest firmware", even after I said in my post that I was using the latest version of the firmware.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to aconnell

MVM

to aconnell
You might try flashing to 1.45.7. It does seem to be the best firmware for DSL users or at least most DSL users prefer that version; however, your problem seems to be unique. I can't remember anyone ever reporting anything exactly like it.
aconnell
Saint Johns, FL

aconnell

Yeah, that's my fear... this isn't a firmware issue. I should add that I've tried a few different machines to try to configure it (my laptop, my wife's laptop, and our desktop).

Finally had enough of Linksys tech support and posted a bad review:
»andrewconnell.com/blog/a ··· 118.aspx

YeOldeStonecat
join:2001-03-19
Groton, CT

YeOldeStonecat

said by aconnell:

Finally had enough of Linksys tech support and posted a bad review:
Yet to be unanswered..as may still be the cause of your problems until at least it's a known....no matter what brand router you end up with. "What make/model modem do you have in front of it?"

Reason I'm asking...your modem may current be doing the PPPoE already, and maybe even NAT...so it's a gateway appliance. If that's the case..putting another NAT router behind it..and attempting to have that do PPPoE...you'll chase your tail in circles. Resulting in an unfair bashing of the product.

Again, I've deployed over 300 of these little sx units...I love them over any other brand and model for under 100 dollar units. I can resell any brand I like...so it's not like I'm "stuck" using this brand. As for their support...it's good for resellers..great actually. Their first level support for consumers is about like any other. How many other "brands" have you seeked tech support for? I've had to deal with a few others...wait til you try Nutgears support. LOL.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to aconnell

Premium Member

to aconnell
said by aconnell:

I've tried deleting all my temp files, my cookie, clearing my cache, disabling popup blocker, disabling antivirus... still nothing.

Any other ideas? Two seconds short of returning this.
YES... V1.50.ANYTHING is NG for DSL!!!

see my post above!!!