uniqs
SocalSlacker
join:2006-05-29
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker to Bill

to Bill

Re: news.dslextreme.com: not accepting my login password

Thanks. Here's what i got,

"502 no permission (no match for xxxxx@DSLEXTREME.COM)
Connection terminated"

dslx_tech
Premium Member
join:2005-10-03
Salt Lake City, UT

dslx_tech

Premium Member

Can you send me an IM with your DSL phone number and the username and password that you are using.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to SocalSlacker

MVM

to SocalSlacker
said by SocalSlacker:

Thanks. Here's what i got,

"502 no permission (no match for xxxxx@DSLEXTREME.COM)
Connection terminated"
It is case sensitive. If the password was wrong, you would have gotten something like "502 rejected by RADIUS: (no message)"

Are you putting in:

youremail@dslextreme.com

or

YOUREMAIL@DSLEXTREME.COM

You should use lowercase for @dslextreme.com and use the proper case that matches your username with DSLX.
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker

It, Telnet, will not take lower case; I get a syntax error "500 command not recognized"

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

The commands to the server are upper case, your login name should be lower case.

e.g.:

AUTHINFO USER blah@dslextreme.com

not:

authinfo user blah@dslextreme.com

and not:

AUTHINFO USER BLAH@DSLEXTREME.COM

Hope that makes more sense...
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker

Yes, I understand, but it's not taking it either/any way you type it... upper, lower, combo of both... no go.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

The error message is important. What error message do you get when you use upper case commands and lower case email? If your email address has upper case letters, you'd need that.

Let's say your email address is:

FooBar@dslextreme.com

You'd want to make sure F and B are capitalized, but the @dslextreme.com should all be lowercase as far as I know. Once you get that right, post the exact error message it's giving you (again, that is important info).
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

1 edit

SocalSlacker

I don't know if there are different versions of Telnet, but mine will not accept a lower case login, which is how my login (username & password) is actually setup. So if I type it exactly as you're telling me to,

AUTHINFO USER (all lower case)@dslextreme.com
this is the response I get
500 command not recognized

Now, if I redo it like this:
AUTHINFO USER (all UPPER case)@DSLEXTREME.COM
I get this response:
381 PASS required

If I type my password in lower case, which is what it is, I get the command not recognized error message.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

That's weird, it works fine for me in XP's telnet client.

Are there funky characters in your DSLX username/account name?

dslx_tech
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

dslx_tech to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
I am going to have Netops take a look at this, so far however everything looks good. Also please make sure that you are not logged in twice already.
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker to pflog

to pflog
I was using a downloaded Telnet program... don't know if tha had anything to do with it.

Anyway, re-tried it in XP now that I have the syntax down:

281 authentication succeeded

Ok, now what

dslx_tech
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

dslx_tech

Premium Member

I am going to have netops take a look into this. I will keep you up to date once I have more info.
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker

Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but my news reader is working now... don't know for how long.
SocalSlacker

1 edit

SocalSlacker

I knew it was too good to be true. I logged off, exited Opera, re-opened Opera and tried to download a few headers it's asking for my password again, and will not accept it when I submit it.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

It sounds like your news reader isn't properly terminating the connection when you are closing the program. Since that is the case the server is likely still seeing you are logged on. When you try to log on again it won't allow you to since it thinks you are already logged on.

As opposed to simply closing the program is there a way to log off first or terminate the connection?
SocalSlacker
San Pedro, CA

SocalSlacker

There is no logging -on/off, per se. It's all done seamlessly in background the same way your regular email accounts work. Like I said previously, I've been testing the News function in two different News readers, both the same results/problem.

Btw, never had anything close to this problem with my GigaNews account, or my SBC account... that's what is so frustrating.

To the person who asked about the Telnet error message I got last night after closing Opera, re-opening and typing the same correct password (no backspacing): Rejected by Radius

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Next time you get denied, look at netstat and see if you can find existing connections. Type "netstat" in a maximized command prompt window and look for :119 and if there are two there already, that is your problem as dslx_gm See Profile mentioned.