Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dano 00TA1

join:2002-01-06
Gary, IN
reply to CMCSAnews

Re: [News] PowerBoost

It's working in NW Indiana. I just downloaded the new google earth 13+meg file in 10 seconds. Here's the log:

URL »dl.google.com/earth/GE4/GoogleEarthWin.exe
Comment
Referer »earth.google.com/tour/thanks-win4.html
Resume Yes
Local File C:\Downloads\GoogleEarthWin.exe
File Date 06/13/06 01:20:03
File Size 13676808
Completed 13676808
Total Time 00:00:10
Average Speed 1335.63 KB/s
Create Time 06/13/06 14:53:15
Complete Time 06/13/06 14:53:28

KPunk3

join:2004-09-10
Moorestown, NJ
reply to CMCSAnews

i really wish jersey would get the upgrades ;\

raccettura0

join:2002-09-28
USA
reply to CMCSAnews

I downloaded the google earth update... 130k... go figure.

NJ seems to always be a little behind.

dan1rulz

join:2002-04-13
Crystal Lake, IL

1 recommendation

reply to CMCSAnews

Dekalb, IL. After the internet and TV went down for serval hours speed tests show this after it came back up.

Download Speed: 30112 kbps (3764 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 353 kbps (44.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

tekman7d0
Premium
join:2006-06-07
Clinton, MA
reply to CMCSAnews

Has anyone else heard of packet loss and connect drop problems in the last few weeks that are being attributed to the PowerBoost rollout?

YeOldeStonecat

join:2001-03-19
Groton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to jasqid

said by jasqid:

This "powerboost" is a joke. I've reset my modem a couple times and downloaded the Vista Beta, Office Beta, and some illegal music/videos and never saw anything above my normal 1.0KB/Sec speeds (Speed Tier 8800/768)
Not a joke for me in CT...when it first hit I was benchmarking at over 25,000 down...this past week it's gone up to 65,000 down. I've downloaded files at over 6 megs/s transfer speeds. Here's a benchmark I took this morning.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

Holy cow!

The "Boost" gods must love you!

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to YeOldeStonecat

Uhhh... I'll have some of what you're having!

DAMN! Wonder what it would be if you were on Gold...
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

RBP36

join:2006-03-12
Woodridge, IL
reply to CMCSAnews

Had lots of problems since last network upgrade (November).

Turns out some of their old equipment (Motorola WebStar cable modem in my case)did not do well with the upgrade.

My performance degraded to 700Kbps before they would come out.

Finally got the tech there. Real problem getting him to test with my network in place - (2 wireless and 3 wired subnets) forced to plug my PC straight in to do testing. WebStar failed during this reconfiguration. Tech installed new Motorola Surfboard modem..

WOW! Now clocking at a consistent 6-18 Mbps to my local sites. I use Speakeasy testing in Chicago and clocked numerous 16 - 21 mbps tests.

Most of the main BBR tests run 4 - 6.5 Mbps to the coasts

Have seen downloads clock as high as at 2.3MBps

YES that is MB not Mb. I am finally a Comcast fan again....

P.S. Was running a Sonicwall 2 which capped performance at 3.5 Mbps -MAX - replaced it with a PIX 501 with 6.3 code. BIG difference. Also: Have a wireless G system from Netgear - seem to only be able to get about 900K though it - even to local machines (-51 db signal at 48 Mbps - autodetect).

Moral of the story - Use good quality - up to date firewall hardware and firmware. Wireless will always cut the rate.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by RBP36:

Wireless will always cut the rate.
Uh, not really...
--

YeOldeStonecat

Groton, CT
reply to RBP36

said by RBP36:

Moral of the story - Use good quality - up to date firewall hardware and firmware. Wireless will always cut the rate.
I agree...most "home grade" broadband routers that are over a year or so old...will start running out of steam around 10-15-20 megs throughput or so. Older ones even less..under 8-10 megs. So they'll be your bottleneck.

The above bursts above 65,000 that I posted a screenie of below...I obtain those from both my RV082, and my IPCop box (separately..not using at same time)

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
reply to CMCSAnews

I seen it on TV just tonight. It was a new commercial.

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to YeOldeStonecat

I tried out IPcop this weekend and did notice my bursts went from 16mb/s with my Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT, up to 30mb/s with IPCop. I saw this not on a speed test, but downloading an ISO from Sourceforge. For the first several seconds it was bursting to around 3.65MB/s before dropping to 1MB/s.

-Mike

Dano 00TA1

join:2002-01-06
Gary, IN
reply to CMCSAnews

Now I know I've gotten the upgrade in NW Indiana! I thought it was fast before and I tried to bypass my router and WOW!

Last Result:
Download Speed: 27021 kbps (3377.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 359 kbps (44.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

madrhino

join:2004-07-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CMCSAnews

I've been hearing radio ads about Powerboost all day.This just started this week in the DC area.
There is a lot of FIOS in the area so if they are advertising Powerboost it probaly means they aren't even going to try to compete with FIOS.
I was really hoping to see a speed increase but I guess it's not going to happen.This is still way better than DSL.

YeOldeStonecat

Groton, CT
reply to RBP36

said by RBP36:

P.S. Was running a Sonicwall 2 which capped performance at 3.5 Mbps -MAX - replaced it with a PIX 501 with 6.3 code. BIG difference.
That old PIX 501 is still a bottleneck for ya.

extreme100
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

1 recommendation

reply to CMCSAnews

Checking in here in rural SW Michigan, way beyond the reach of the mighty T's wimpy DSL product yet here I am surfing along at 16Mb on Comcast HSI. Absolutely Comcastic!
--
Meet Bill and Karolyn at www.theslowskys.com

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Hey now! Don't fry their test! LMAO!

LarryE

join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to CMCSAnews

I have a question about this powerboost. How long is the "boost" supposed to last in a download? I went to this download site »chic-cdn01.area4.il.chicago.comc···zard.exe and the 26MB's downloaded so fast I didn't even get a chance to do a screen shot. I just clicked on Run and by the time I looked at the speed, it had finished downloading. LOL I thought the burst was only for the first few seconds?

el gringo

guessing

@comcast.net

Download a larger file or multiple files at same time.

My guess is after 20 Megabytes pulled from the bucket the speed will drop to normal rates.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit

This powerboost is a load of b.s. I've seen commercials on TV but I still test the standard speed. I know theres not node congestion as I had the 8MB tier (nov 05' through may 06') and constantly used to test in the neighborhood of 8175 kbps down by 711 kbps up.

Im testing at speakeasy.net since that is notorious for showing obvious bursting.

NYC
Download Speed: 6221 kbps (777.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 354 kbps (44.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Chicago
Download Speed: 6187 kbps (773.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate)

Washington DC
Download Speed: 6187 kbps (773.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Atlanta
Download Speed: 6185 kbps (773.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Average Download : 6195 kbps
Average Upload : 352.5 kbps

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

What about other people in your Zip. Are they getting Boost or not?

LarryE

Chicago, IL
reply to guessing

said by guessing :

Download a larger file or multiple files at same time.

My guess is after 20 Megabytes pulled from the bucket the speed will drop to normal rates.
Where do I find a larger file to download?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Microsoft, Adobe... they're usually pretty fast, although routing to Chicago may slow things down.
--

LarryE

Chicago, IL

said by dadkins:

Microsoft, Adobe... they're usually pretty fast, although routing to Chicago may slow things down.
Strange, I went to Microsoft and tried downloading a 588MB file but there was no bursting at all. It actually started out slow and just built up speed. Didn't try anything from Adobe yet.

el gringo

jasqid
Fiber In Your Diet?

join:2002-04-02
East Palestine, OH
reply to CMCSAnews

Powerboost in Pittsburgh

I just got home from vacation and plugged everything back in. Got a new IP address (first time in 2 years) and now have the powerboost. But I think it maybe effecting my normal speeds. I just downloaded Office SP2 and a bunch of windows updates and it was only downloading ~500kb/s. Normal is(was) ~950kb/s or even better.

lil Connor xxx

@comcast.net

This is my greatest concern. I am not interested in short term bursts like this powerboof. I can only hope that after my area is implemented that speeds do not drop from the consistant 6MB I enjoy now, which I am happy with as this is what I am paying for.

tivoking

join:2005-02-03
reply to CMCSAnews

Re: [News] PowerBoost

No powerboost in Southeastern MI, yet. Just the same 8.2Mbps I have been getting for a year.

tivoking

join:2005-02-03
reply to CMCSAnews

Sounds like some are getting a nice boost for 5 seconds, but on large files it drops down 1 or 2 Mbps a second.

dburkland
Student

join:2004-03-05
Minneapolis, MN

Asked a Comcast employee in Minneapolis, Minnesota about Powerboost and he wasn't sure what it is. Probaly won't be here for a year or so