uniqs
share rss forum feed

psicop
More human than human
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Australia

Free avatar maker

I am looking for an application that allows you to make your own avatar (if that exists at all). Free if possible.

Thx in advance.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Try this on »avatarmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml
--
M-O-O-N, that spells assimilation...Tom Cullen of Borg.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to psicop
The Gimp does much more then avatars, it's a full graphic program but is nice once you learn it.
»www.gimp.org/

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
Thx for your replies.

I'll have a go at the Gimp. Please dandelion, enlighten me a bit in here. Do I need to download the basic Gimp first and then the animation Gimp tool, right?

Thx.

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
reply to psicop
downloadalchemist.zip 4,094 bytes
(alchemist.html)
Does the Gimp allow you to make this kind of avatar?

Thx.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Probably, I've never used it but there are a few gimp users here. Maybe someone will chime in.

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
reply to psicop
I meant this avatar.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to psicop
You can certainly do that with the Gimp, there are a couple of artists that use it here and hope they will post for you. In the meantime, have resized for dslr if interested, but you can also do that with the Gimp. (sounds like you would need to download both)

marcelle19
cross
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-02
Phelan, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to psicop
I have heard from someone whom I respect and know as one of the best PhotoShop users on this site, that the GIMP is just as powerful a graphics creator/editor as PhotoShop or PaintShopPro.

One of the users is cybrog - you might try sending them an IM.

Also, once you go to the GIMP page and download it, I think it mentions tutorials, and there are a lot of tutorials on the web; if you google for them you'll find them.
--
Some people think they gain through dishonest means, never realizing that in lying, cheating, and other dishonesty, they are losing pieces of themselves, which they can never recover. SPECIAL

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
reply to psicop
Nice job Dandelion. Thx for that.

Cheers M.

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
reply to psicop
One more thing about using Gimp animation:

"Please note that gimp-gap 2.2.1 requires gimp 2.2 and glib 2.8 or higher."

Well I did a search for "Glib" and it is related to C programming. I am a bit confused, do I need to program in C to use it? I am just a n00b.

Thx.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
reply to psicop
Glad you liked, lettering doesn't show well, but you can improve if work with the Gimp. I may be mistaken, but I believe they have a forum on site for questions? Maybe someone will come along here though that knows.

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
D., I need to be a premium to appreciate that avatar. As a member it too tiny. Ain't worth it. So I changed it to another one (not much better though ).

I think I will pop-in the Gimp forums for help.

Thx.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to psicop
Good idea, in the meantime made another if interested

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
Thx. But I like the old one too much. Not nice without the glittering stars.

cybrog6
Premium
join:2004-05-30
Westbrook, CT

2 recommendations

reply to psicop
You will not need to install the gimp animation package to create animated avatars.
GAP is a collection of plug-ins to extend the GIMP with capabilities to edit and create animations and movies as sequences of single frames. It adds a Video menu to image windows in the GIMP.
When I have more time, I will post a tutorial on creating animated avatars with the GIMP.

cybrog6
Premium
Westbrook, CT

1 edit

7 recommendations

reply to psicop
I threw this together quickly hence the not so great quality of the final image. I attempted to create a similar avatar to the one posted above by psicop See Profile. I may have left out a step or two, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Now, on with the tutorial.

From the GIMP toolbox window, File> New. I used 50x50, foreground color as the default foreground color is black.

Duplicated the layer twice for a total of 3 layers.

Selected brush and set color to white and painted stars in different positions on the 3 layers and pasted a cropped and resized transparent image from my photos on each of the layers.

Then looked at the playback from the animation menu.

From the File menu, save as gif.

Final image without optimizing.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN

3 recommendations

Thanks cybrog, added to our useful links
»Useful Links Part 2

psicop
More human than human
Premium
Australia
reply to psicop
Very nice Cybrog.

Thx for putting all that effort.

BTW, what is the animaton package used for if The Gimp allows one to animate avatars?

cybrog6
Premium
Westbrook, CT
reply to psicop
GIMP-GAP allows the user to import video as frames for editing. After editing, the end result can be exported back to a video file (.mpeg, .avi, etc.).