Search similar:

uniqs

AgentGOD
join:2004-05-14

2 edits

AgentGOD to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem

Re: [Speed] Comcast "PowerBoost" proven unuseful

Well guess what... I did all of that testing last night, around 2 AM... How was the network "clogged"

Quote: markofmayhem
"...It is solely limited to HTTP files ONLY. Think videos on web pages, songs downloaded legally from pay sites, patches that come from web servers and not FTP servers, web movies, etc...."

Well guess what, you're wrong. I just downloaded Nero from a fast HTTP server, and the speed started at around 1.89 MB/sec, and started dropping around 20 - 30 MB, and by the end, it dropped the whole way...

So "PowerBoost" is NOT limited to the HTTP application layer, as you thought.
Base your answers on facts and analysis, not by what you think it is.

Ol Gravy Leg
@comcast.net

Ol Gravy Leg to AgentGOD

Anon

to AgentGOD
Not to be a weenie or anything but it is well known that this powerboof only kicks in for a short while. Where have you been? Did you think this was a true speed upgrade? Silly goose, you should have read before getting your hopes up. It is well documented that this is just a marketing ploy to make people think comcast is willing to offer a product equal to fios. You fell for it. Tee-Hee, Tee-Hee...

AgentGOD
join:2004-05-14

1 edit

AgentGOD

Exactly. And I've made a mistake. But at the same time, these people are not willing to accept the fact.

Ol Gravy Leg
@comcast.net

Ol Gravy Leg to AgentGOD

Anon

to AgentGOD

Heck, don't worry about them. If they are too stupid or stubborn to listen then they can wait until they get powerboof and see how useless it is for large files.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

markofmayhem

Premium Member

So it is not just HTTP protocol, that's a good thing, I was wrong. It is also not a "speed upgrade" by any means, it is an increase in your allocated bucket if, and only if, the network can perform above your allocation. If it can not, then you receive a "boost" of 0.

I have seen the powerboost "buff" kick in. Windows Vista Beta2 had a total transfer rate of 1,128.7 kB/s, I'm only provisioned at 750. That file is over 3 gigs large. Had I sat and stared at the download, I may have only seen short bursts over the 750. But my total time to download was drastically reduced. As was my download of IPCop, Kubuntu, and some other freeware... well, not as drastic as the Vista download, but still a slight increase in over all transfer speed. All with a total transfer rate much higher than my provisioned speed.

The OP did nothing more than prove Comcast's claims:

"Comcast, the nation's leading provider of cable, entertainment and communications products and services, today announced the PowerBoost™ speed enhancer – patent-pending Comcast network technology that increases customers’ broadband performance, for no additional charge.

PowerBoost technology utilizes additional capacity already built into Comcast’s advanced fiber network to provide customers with extra bursts of download speed"

Speed enhancer, not an upgrade. Bursts of download speed, not a constant increase in speed. Look at the OP's screen shots: 122MB file downloaded in 2 mins and 42 seconds. That's a total transfer rate of 771 kB/s or 6169.28 kb/s. Which, according to here:

»Does my cable connection need tweaking more?

the OP is provisioned at 6000. 6169.28 is a higher number, so boost was present.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

LeftOfSanity to AgentGOD

to AgentGOD

Re: marketing gimmick

""""""So, if you people like to download half-way or quarter way, or so, and the speed be taken away, and end up as if no boost happened... then be my guest, and trust PowerBoost, otherwise, switch to FiOS (if that was your original plan, and that it is available in your area).""""""

Huh?? They aren't losing anything. they get an extra boost then go back to normal.

Looks like you got some FioS on your nose there buddy.
Xyc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-08
Sewell, NJ

Xyc to AgentGOD

Premium Member

to AgentGOD

As others have said, this is not a speed boost for users downloading large files. This is a feature that makes web browsing and casual/smaller-file downloading faster. This improves the experience for the majority of Comcast's customers. For the minority doing huge downloads, there isn't a change in performance.

Unfortunately, this site by its nature is populated more heavily with that minority.

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

2 edits

2 recommendations

MadMANN3 to AgentGOD

Premium Member

to AgentGOD

Re: marketing gimmick

said by AgentGOD:

So, if you people like to download half-way or quarter way, or so, and the speed be taken away, and end up as if no boost happened... then be my guest, and trust PowerBoost, otherwise, switch to FiOS (if that was your original plan, and that it is available in your area).
Did I just read a commercial?
BarneyBadAss
Badasses Fight For Freedom
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07

1 recommendation

BarneyBadAss

Premium Member

more like an un-info-mercial

haamster
Premium Member
join:2002-12-02
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

haamster to AgentGOD

Premium Member

to AgentGOD
said by AgentGOD:

As for what Comcast says:
"...Downloading a 686MB game takes only 12 minutes on Comcast’s 8Meg connection with PowerBoost..."
Source: »www.Comcast.com/powerboost/
Umm, have you done the math? A 686MB download takes 12 minutes without PowerBoost. It certainly doesn't say that a big download is faster than it was before PowerBoost, just faster than DSL.
So, if you people like to download half-way or quarter way, or so, and the speed be taken away, and end up as if no boost happened... then be my guest, and trust PowerBoost, otherwise, switch to FiOS (if that was your original plan, and that it is available in your area).
I don't think anybody is planning on holding off on Fios because of PowerBoost, and nowhere do I see Comcast claiming that it is in any way a Fios equalizer.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to AgentGOD

MVM

to AgentGOD

You downloaded Nero... Nero is notorious for having majorly screwed servers! Ask anyone in the Software forum!

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to AgentGOD

Premium Member

to AgentGOD
I'm going to skip right through every post.. but I dont see where the claims are wrong..

(686 megabyte) / (8 (megabits / sec)) = 11.4333333 minutes

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 edit

Cjaiceman to AgentGOD

MVM

to AgentGOD
quote:
So if you were thinking of going to FiOS, don't stop, go to FiOS!
Trust me, if I had the option I would. I would probably be one of the first in the building to get it.

Sadly though, FiOS won't be available in Denver for some time (if ever), and I'm not holding my breath for Qwest to get off their @$$ and do anything about FTTH. Comcast is about the best Denver has right now, which is pretty pathetic.

BTW, Here is my "powerboost"

SpeakEasy.net San Francisco server:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 12477 kbps (1559.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 696 kbps (87 KB/sec transfer rate)

Morty7
Premium Member
join:2004-09-18

2 recommendations

Morty7

Premium Member

12 477 Kbps = ~ 12.2 Mbps

That's still a huge boost, this feature is not meant to compete with FiOS. However, when the next speed increase comes along and you are then using 16Mbps with powerboost to 20's Mbps it's a lot more effective. I find it amazing how Comcast provides a benefit to customers free of charge, and people complain.

Would you rather have it or not?

I would put a bet that most people in this thread would say "I wish I had a speed increase instead". Well that's all nice, however not possible at this time. So instead of keeping you at 8Mbps for the next few months, they've given you a small boost in the mean time.

What ever happened to the idiom "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" ?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to AgentGOD

to AgentGOD
We have a PowerBoost thread here ----> »[News] PowerBoost