kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits

9 recommendations

[POLL] Preferred CD Burning Software - 2006

As defined by Wikipedia:

Optical disc authoring software is computer software for authoring optical discs including CD-ROMs and DVDs. They are also known by synonyms such as CD burning application or DVD authoring software. Such software is required to use a optical disc recorder.

Creating an optical disc usually involves first creating a disk image with a full file system designed for the optical disc, and then actually burning the image to the disc. Disk file systems include ISO-9660 (often known simply as "ISO") and Universal Disk Format (UDF). ISO is most common for CDs and UDF is most common for DVDs.

Multiple Choice Poll
What CD Burning software do you use?

Alcohol 120%(Paid)

Ashampoo Burning Studio (Shareware)

AVS Disc Creator FREE (Free)

CD Burner XP Pro(free)

Burn At Once(free)

NTI CD & DVD-Maker(paid)

Ahead Nero Burning Rom / Express(paid)

Roxio Easy CD Creator(paid)

SlySoft:CloneCD / DVD(paid)

Sonic Record Now(paid)

UltraISO(Shareware)

None

Other: Not on list - Post Below

Participants:224

This poll is multiple choice; if you use multiple programs to burn discs feel free to select them.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

Re: [POLL]Preferred CD Burning Software - 2006

Nice job on the [POLL], AMDUSER See Profile

I have used Nero & CD Burner XP both with success
I lean towards Nero as I find it easiest.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

2 recommendations

reply to AMDUSER
Great Poll AMDUSER!

Alcohol
Nero
SlySoft
UltraISO
Sony Click to DVD
Drag'n Drop CD+DVD - »www.ddcd.jp/ (came pre-installed)
Simply dragging files to the optical drive works too(XP)

Others that escape me at the moment...
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to AMDUSER
I have used A120%, Nero, Roxio and CloneCd and on occasion XP native ability too

Cudni

howie1
Premium
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to AMDUSER
Nice poll!

I use the following:
Nero 6.6 (can't stand 7) for general CD/DVD Audio/Video/Data burning tasks.
Alcohol 120% for ISO image dumping/burning.
UltraISO for ISO editing.
--
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." - Michael Corleone

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
reply to AMDUSER
I use Nero Burning Rom 6.6, UltraISO, and Roxio.

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29
reply to AMDUSER
Other: Not on list - Post Below:
» [Info] PlexTools Professional Updated
--
non nova, sed nove

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to AMDUSER
Thanks for the Poll AMDUSER...nice job.

Amazingly, I don't do a whole lot of 'burning' these days (except when I'm mowing the lawn in the sun), but when I do, I have several programs on different machines some of which are:

Nero 6.6
XP's built in software (actually does a lot of basic stuff well IMO)
NTI CD-Maker
SlySoft stuff! (CloneCD/DVD etc.)
B's Recorder Gold
And a tiny little program called BurnCDCC for some very basic ISO burning. (So small and simple I really like it...well, just cuz.

I've used some others in the Poll too, but that covers most of my current programs.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to AMDUSER

Re: [POLL] Preferred CD Burning Software - 2006

I use Nero Burning Rom 7 and sometimes Windows XP.

pleekmo
Triptoe Through The Tulips
Premium
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT
reply to AMDUSER
I almost always use Roxio Easy Media Creator version 7 here. I do have Nero installed here as well, but usually only use if for certain specialized projects.

About the only authoring I do is archiving the lossless audio shows I've downloaded and then burning some of them to audio CDs. Lately I've begun to download some video of GD and other jamband performers, as I've found that the Roxio suite can also make them into DVDs pretty easily.
--
HCN: Because you deserve a rest!

Free Omelas!

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
reply to AMDUSER
I use Nero 6 (with the updates) Memorex Suite...came with my Memorex 52MAXX 325AJ1
--
Lonnie

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ
reply to AMDUSER
I use Sonic for creating custom CDs.
I use BurnCDCC for ISO/image files.
I use SonicStage for transfering MD music to CDs.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to AMDUSER
Voted Nero but still using ver. 6.6.0.18. No need to upgrade.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I am also using an old version of Nero but now I have ideas on some free software so I can my mom a OEM writer and use free software (or at least a small donation) instead of the full price Nero...

For anyone else out there that have used some of the free burning software mentioned in the poll: What software was the easiest to use? My mom is not a PC novice but she is a burning novice and she is running Windows 98.
--
Brian

jstack

join:2001-12-09
San Francisco, CA
reply to AMDUSER
I had to upgrade to Nero 7 because 6.6 doesn't support my NEC ND-6650A dvd burner. If anyone has gotten this drive to work with an older version of Nero, please let me know.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to AMDUSER
Nero 6 is the only way to go.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AMDUSER

... Nero (v6 still) and ImgBurn (not listed) ... a looong time ago I used some goofy program that came with my first cd burner (a slow Philips) but I can't remember the name, and it's probably extinct by now (or should be) ...

... good job on the poll, AMDUSER, thanks ...

--

... "that good old-fashioned Medicated Goo" ...

HMS1

join:2006-01-14
Austin, TX
reply to AMDUSER
Thanks for the poll AMDUSER. (I prefer AMD too ) I hope this will be helpful to anyone looking for wisdom on burning software.

Nero as of the time of this writing is winning by a big margin. And it is my choice too. It has always performed perfectly for me, and is self-explanatory and easy to use.

I especially like that it's very configurable. Newbies are fine with the defaults (and there's an "Express" version for the "one button" type of people). Then as you learn more you can tweak various things for better results.

Roxio used to be notorious for gnarly bugs including interfering with the rest of the system. I suppose they've fixed all that now (?).

It should be noted that some of these, particularly Alcohol and Clone CD/DVD, are in a slightly different category because they are designed for the additional benefit of overcoming certain technologies that are intended to interfere with copying - for example if you want to make a backup copy of your legally purchased DVD or play a game without having the original CD in the drive. There are others too which are especially devoted to that purpose rather than being general burning programs, it's just that these overlap the two categories.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to AMDUSER
Toast 7

Very simple.

I think I made a coaster a few years ago.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
reply to AMDUSER
While I picked several Win apps that I use once in a while, I am also using k3b in my Kubuntu OS.

Haven't had a coaster with k3b yet!

ditka_b
Premium
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL
reply to AMDUSER
What's a CD? I burn alot of DVD's but rarely waste time on CD's anymore. Neros very good tho I'm more used to and prefer Alcohol 120. Easy Cd Creater is great for newbies but i've always disliked it. Had NTI on an acer lapper and it was kinda nice as well. All in all I think it's just what ya get used too..

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to AMDUSER
I use Nero 6 and love it. I also like and have used Alcohol 120. I only burn CDs because, although I have a new computer, I do not have a DVD burner.
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium,MVM
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK
reply to AMDUSER
Roxio 8. It burns CDs & DVDs. It's easy and it works.

brydry
...it's meat-cake

join:2004-12-05
Safety Harbor, FL
reply to AMDUSER
K3b - oops!
This is a windows forum, isn't it? Sorry LOL. When I'm in widows I just use what xp already has.

Airwolf
Premium
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON
reply to AMDUSER
Easy CD Creator 5 Basic.

It came with the drive.

diver196

join:2003-12-09
reply to AMDUSER
My favorite is Padus Discjuggler. Too bad it does not run under Windows x64. Gear puts out a really nice burning program at various price levels and features. I used Prassi Ones for a while, but it started to give me coasters with the latest batch of DVD's.

Nero may be very popular, but at over 100 MB for a burning program, it meets my definition of bloatware, even in this age of giant hard drives. Besides, all I want is a program to burn with, not an entire multimedia suite.
--
Only those defenses are good, certain and durable, which depend on yourself alone and your own ability. -The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli.

MikegotOOL

join:2001-01-21
East Setauket, NY
reply to AMDUSER
Nero 6.6 FTW

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to AMDUSER
Voted for SlySoft: CloneCD/DVD & Ahead Nero Burning Rom/Express.

Darek
Premium
join:2000-12-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:3
reply to AMDUSER
Nero 6, Roxio, and Sonic.
Simply way to get what I want...

fegul
Premium
join:2004-08-23
united state