Premium Member
join:2003-03-08
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

addp009

Premium Member

Soft Raid 5 to stand alone disk

Hi,

i have a win 2003 raid 5 volume that i want to replace with a standalone disk.

How should i go about transferring all the data and keeping the ntfs permissions?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Re: Soft Raid 5 to stand along disk

You don't want much, do you?

XCOPY *.* /S /H /K /O

I've never used it and would test it first. You can type XCOPY /? at the command prompt to see if you want to use any of the other switches such as /G to copy encrypted files to an unencrypted destination or /X to copy the auditing information.

addp009
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

addp009

Premium Member

to elaborate on the situation, I have a domain controller suffering major hardware problems. The powersupply seems to be failing prematurely, which in turn causes bad blocks on all 2 of the 3 hard drives (raid 5) - the 3rd hard drive does not have have any problem yet - i hope - as it was just replaced a week ago.

The raid volume is still accessible thanks to error correction, but i feel that it's on its final hours before all hell break lose.

I have 2 replacement parts coming in tomorrow: a new power supply and a new 320Gb seagate hard drive.

My plan was to replace the PS and HDD, transfer all the data over, and be done with it.

Now that i've been thinking about the whole situation, maybe it's a sign to rebuild the network of 5 clients. I wanted to retire the host disk as they are still on the ultra 160 standard.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to addp009

Premium Member

to addp009
If you have bad block problems on 2 of 3 drives on a raid 5 system, I'm surprised it is reporting healthy!

addp009
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

addp009

Premium Member

it's not. It's saying redundancy failure.

EDIT: but remain accessible as of now.