how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KarolPL

join:2001-03-10
Astoria, NY

Road Runner Mailbox -still 10MBs?? Caveman had higher quota

Does anyone have more then 10MBs quota per mailbox from Road Runner?

Everyone else offers 100MBs, 1GB even 2GBs so how come RR is a fraction of that? I had RR for maybe 4-5 years and still no change.

I e-mailed RR Help a while ago about this... they responded "we don't have any plans to expand our e-mail service"

Does anyone know any tricks how to get more quota so my mailbox won't blow whenever someone sends few pictures over?

Thanx

KarolPL

Swindle
Shattered Dreams

join:2006-07-24
Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Not Sure If You Can Have Your Quota Raised ... Try E-Mail And Calling RoadRunner To Have The Cap Raised.

I Think It Would Be Easier On You To Create A Yahoo Or Hotmail E-Mail Account. RoadRunner Hasn't Raised Their Cap Yet, Kind Of Suprising. I Think They Are The Lowest Quoto Around, Or Close To It By Todays' Standards.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to KarolPL
said by KarolPL:

Does anyone know any tricks how to get more quota so my mailbox won't blow whenever someone sends few pictures over?
Register your own domain and host it somewhere. $9.95 a month gets me:

- 5 Gb of diskspace online (also for e-mail).
- 100 pop accounts. (everyone in the family can have one)
- 200 Gb a month transfer traffic for website hosting.
- Antispam, Antivirus on the mailboxes.
- 3 types of webmail (one is almost textmode, handy for mobile phones)
- the 5 Gb can also be used as FTP server, and is attached to 100 Mbps or more backbone. Handy for very large files.
- You can use their SMTP server which will work anywhere on the road. (Port 25 and 26 in case 25 is blocked where you are)
- And of course.... a big fat load in websitehosting options such as MySQL, ASP, PhP, CGI, SSH, etc, etc.....

But the best part:

- The e-mail address is YOURS, and no move, no provider change, no name change, no comcast/adelphia/timewarner deal is going to change your e-mail address.

I moved 4 times, with 3 different providers, inclusing one international move and never had to change my e-mail address. As a matter of fact, I only use my roadrunner address when I suspect I may be getting spam on it, I use it as other would use their yahoo accounts
--
The Republican Party is a party of BAD ideas. The Democratic Party is a party of NO ideas. Every now and then a Republican stands up in congress and says: "I got a really BAD idea!", to which a Democrat reponds with: "And I can make it shittier!"

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
Basically you get what you pay for

LatinTek

join:2004-06-03
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 edit
reply to maartena
said by maartena:

said by KarolPL:

Register your own domain and host it somewhere. $9.95 a month gets me:

- 5 Gb of diskspace online (also for e-mail).
- 100 pop accounts. (everyone in the family can have one)
- 200 Gb a month transfer traffic for website hosting.
- Antispam, Antivirus on the mailboxes.
- 3 types of webmail (one is almost textmode, handy for mobile phones)
- the 5 Gb can also be used as FTP server, and is attached to 100 Mbps or more backbone. Handy for very large files.
- You can use their SMTP server which will work anywhere on the road. (Port 25 and 26 in case 25 is blocked where you are)
- And of course.... a big fat load in websitehosting options such as MySQL, ASP, PhP, CGI, SSH, etc, etc.....

But the best part:

- The e-mail address is YOURS, and no move, no provider change, no name change, no comcast/adelphia/timewarner deal is going to change your e-mail address.

I moved 4 times, with 3 different providers, inclusing one international move and never had to change my e-mail address. As a matter of fact, I only use my roadrunner address when I suspect I may be getting spam on it, I use it as other would use their yahoo accounts
Hey maartena, who do you use please!??

Oh.. and to the OP... I've been harping on RR for the lack of any mailbox upgrades. People on here all told me to shut up and get hotmail, yahoo.. etc.. whatever. Funny cause i'm sure most of them want more upload though. LOL HEY.. if we want a bigger mailbox there is nothing wrong with it. Got nothing nice to say... please don't. Thank you and come again.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
said by LatinTek:

I use HostGo - »www.hostgo.com.

I wasn't gonna name it to prevent being accused of spamming, but since you asked for it....

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to MysticGogeta
said by MysticGogeta:

True. I wish though that they would offer an "IP only" connection, which gives you nothing more then access to the internet. No e-mail, no usenet, no webspace, no eztrust antivirus, no nothing..... just a barebones connection, just an IP address, and you bring your own services.

Of course, for a discount on the regular price
--
The Republican Party is a party of BAD ideas. The Democratic Party is a party of NO ideas. Every now and then a Republican stands up in congress and says: "I got a really BAD idea!", to which a Democrat reponds with: "And I can make it shittier!"

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX
Id take more upload with zero services my self that would be great.

stevech1

join:2005-01-08
reply to KarolPL
said by KarolPL:

I wrote a letter to Corporate TWC listing all their competitors' mailbox quotas.

I was impressed that TWC wrote back, some weeks later.

They said, in polite terms: We don't have to care, so we don't.

The complaints need to go to the PUC and local ELECTED government fools, cc TWC.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX
Technically there right they don't have to offer this service at all its a courtesy service. Get a Gmail account or pay a monthly fee for space like some others do.

KarolPL

join:2001-03-10
Astoria, NY
reply to stevech1
Well, thanx for your replies. I see I'm not the only one going crazy wondering why my mailbox blows up every day.

It's not "what you pay for" since 10MB was standard few years ago but not any more. I setup account for my folks on Verizon DSL (much cheaper) and to my surprise they have 2GB!

And yes, I do have hotmail, yahoo, gmail and all of the above... except these have no POP3 support and I don't feel like changing my primary e-mail address anyway.

I guess I'll hang around RR little bit longer...

K

kHz1450

join:2001-12-05
Dayton, OH
reply to KarolPL
The 10MB quota was a major reason that I left for DSL and a 2GB inbox.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to KarolPL
You can pay extra for POP3 support via Yahoo.

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY

1 edit
I just don't get it. The reason you got an ISP in the old days was cause of inet access and email and user groups. Sooooo.. in that time of BBS and Mosaic.. why can't RR hook us up with at least 250MB - 500MB of mailbox space for EACH mailbox.

Oh yeah... almost forgot. Thanks for the info maartena.

said by maartena:

said by LatinTek:

I use HostGo - »www.hostgo.com.

I wasn't gonna name it to prevent being accused of spamming, but since you asked for it....

compugeek
Premium
join:2002-07-30
reply to KarolPL
GMAIL has free pop3 support, I use it everyday.

»mail.google.com/support/bin/answ···er=13273

Geek
--
»www.itsnewtoyou.biz

CJ777

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA
reply to KarolPL
Doesn't TWC give you the option of using EarthLink as your ISP? They offer a lot more storage space.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to compugeek
also free pop3 support if you own your own domain as well i use both free and domain.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to CJ777
yep they sure do. In some areas you get more than just RR and Earthlink for an ISP. But why use an ISP's webmail if you're not happy----use someone else such as GMail like everyone else said that why you don't have to change email addresses if you change ISPs. Makes more sense.

stevech1

reply to MysticGogeta
said by MysticGogeta:

how do you figure? RR cable modem for me is the highest charge you can find for residential.

stevech1

reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

But why use an ISP's webmail if you're not happy----use someone else ...Makes more sense.
How so? You pay for full ISP service, and the only reason TW does a poor job is that they have a monopoly and greedy executives.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to LatinTek
said by LatinTek:

I've been harping on RR for the lack of any mailbox upgrades. People on here all told me to shut up and get hotmail, yahoo.. etc.. whatever.
It's a shame they were all right....

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to stevech1
said by stevech1:

The complaints need to go to the PUC and local ELECTED government fools, cc TWC.
What complaints ?? About the amount of disk space TWC provides for e-mail ?? Neither the PUC nor any gov't agency regulates cable internet service, let alone add-on services to cable internet. They only get involved when there's no options for a consumer, i.e. electric, natural gas, cable tv, etc. You most likely do have options and if you choose to remain with TWC, that's your decision. Don't like what they offer ?? Switch to someone else.

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by LatinTek:

I've been harping on RR for the lack of any mailbox upgrades. People on here all told me to shut up and get hotmail, yahoo.. etc.. whatever.
It's a shame they were all right....
Dang.. I hate when I'm made to feel like I can't gripe. If you don't have anything nice to say then...

stevech1

reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by stevech1:

What complaints ?? Neither the PUC nor any gov't agency regulates cable internet service, let alone add-on services to cable internet.
I understand that the city/county councils award "rights" to cable companies for sole use of the easements on the poles and in the streets. The company does not own this property. Hence, the local government could, if they had any kahonees, or scruples, recompete the francise.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to stevech1
TWC does not have a monopoly on HSI- they offer Earthlink and AOL High Speed and in some areas another ISP for HSI. But why would you continue to use your ISP's email if you're unhappy? The more reasonable thing would be to use something else if they won't increase webmail space. So how is that a monopoly of HSI? And as far as TV there is always Dish or DirecTV for TV.

stevech1

3 edits
reply to KarolPL
By monopoly, I mean the offering of all services via cable. Unlike POTS and LD telephone and DSL we have no competitor for TV on cable, nor Internet connectivity (independent of email). I used to live in Ventura County, CA where there were two cable providers and two cable plants. But this was because at that time the county was one of two or three experiments by GTE.

If I'm not mistaken, TWC offers Earthlink, RR and AOL as ISPs only because it was a condition of the AOL acquisition, imposed by the SEC or DoJ. I think I read that the mandatory period for this is expiring.

Since TWC charges so bloody much, it irks me to think about paying some other service provider for email services and cease using RR email. I do have free gmail, but it goes down frequently due to its "beta" status. I don't want anything to do with spam-laden yahoo or msn free mail.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to KarolPL
said by KarolPL:

And yes, I do have hotmail, yahoo, gmail and all of the above... except these have no POP3 support and I don't feel like changing my primary e-mail address anyway.
GMail has free POP3 support. Well, POP3S, but most mail clients can handle it.

Yahoo! Mail Plus has POP3 support for $19.99 per year.

MSN Hotmail Plus has HTTPMail support (MS Outlook, and MS Outlook Express, only; presumably their Windows Live Mail, as well) for $19.99 per year.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 edits
reply to Hall
I have no options but Road Runner or Earthlink on TW cable which is worse because TW drags their feet when you have problems and you have Earthlink.

Here you complain to the Hawaii State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs which regulates Time Warner Cable including internet. The complaint goes to the Hawaii Office of Consumer Protection.

I would never get GMail because I value my privacy. It pisses me off that Road Runner doesn't offer higher limits. I was unaware until I read this thread that other ISPs have higher limits. I thought almost all ISPs had low limits like RR. Now that I know better, I'm really irritated especially since I have no other choice except Earthlink on TW cable and I will never get Earthlink.

--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

LatinTek

Fresh Meadows, NY
said by Mele20:

I have no options but Road Runner or Earthlink on TW cable which is worse because TW drags their feet when you have problems and you have Earthlink.

Here you complain to the Hawaii State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs which regulates Time Warner Cable including internet. The complaint goes to the Hawaii Office of Consumer Protection.

I would never get GMail because I value my privacy. It pisses me off that Road Runner doesn't offer higher limits. I was unaware until I read this thread that other ISPs have higher limits. I thought almost all ISPs had low limits like RR. Now that I know better, I'm really irritated especially since I have no other choice except Earthlink on TW cable and I will never get Earthlink.

I agree. Lucky you get Earthlink as an option. For some reason in NYC you can only use Time Warner (No Earthlink)or Verizon. I think even Verizon increased mailbox sizes. ISP's should include email. Why not? 10MB is way to small. Even if they increased it to like 100 megs that might be nice but then they need to increase the send and receive limit.

stevech1

1 edit
reply to KarolPL
when I wrote TWC corporate saying that a few family photos fill up 10MB, esp. if they arrive while you are away and not downloading. The response was arrogant and indifferent, hence my ire at TWC's monopoly.