uniqs
MADx
join:2005-05-25
Richmond, IN

1 edit

MADx

AOL offers free virus protection

»www.activevirusshield.co ··· dex.adp?

AOL is offering free antivirus using the Kaspersky engine.

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks

Premium Member

Re: AOL offers virus protection?

Well spotted !

See in here too - »Security Product Vendors -Also F-Secure FREE as well.

Spanner

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

Babar to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx

Re: AOL offers free virus protection

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who gives this a try.

Any catches? AOL crapware installed along with it? Differences between this and the real KAV?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Beyond Babar's Q's, is this AOL users only?

MikeStammer
No prison can hold me
Premium Member
join:2002-12-26
Fortville, IN

1 recommendation

MikeStammer to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
the site says you dont need anything aol.

just put in foo@bar.com for the email and it will let you download it. see what happens from there =)

HA Nut
Premium Member
USA

HA Nut

Premium Member

Duh! Sorry! Read the info in waaaay to big of a hurry!

Don Pelotas
join:2004-12-10

1 recommendation

Don Pelotas to Babar

to Babar
The diffrences from "the real" Kaspersky 6.0 are: No web anti-virus, no proactive defense and no trustedzone = exclusions.

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

Babar

Premium Member

TY

MikeStammer
No prison can hold me
Premium Member
join:2002-12-26
Fortville, IN

1 edit

3 recommendations

MikeStammer to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Click for full size
Click for full size

Click for full size
Click for full size
OK so i downloaded it and installed it. here are a boatload of screen shots.

looks like you need a valid email to get activation key. other than that, it looks like a stripped down version of KAV 6
MikeStammer

1 edit

MikeStammer to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
looks like you get 1 year of protection. i used a throw away email and its showing expiring on

08/06/2007

the security toolbar is aol branded as well. Blech. The toolbar doesnt look like anything worthwhile

HA Nut
Premium Member
USA

HA Nut to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Mike: Thanks for the screenies!!!
acr458
join:2006-08-07
Memphis, TN

acr458 to MADx

to MADx
Is this AV program good enough for me to dump AVG Free and avast? Just how good is it?
Goldengamego
Premium Member
join:2004-02-22
Okemos, MI

4 edits

Goldengamego

Premium Member

said by acr458:

Is this AV program good enough for me to dump AVG Free and avast? Just how good is it?
Have a look here

»www.av-comparatives.org
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to acr458

Premium Member

to acr458
"Just how good is it?"

»My quick thoughts

I thought the only security products AOL offered were McAfee based. Interesting to see they are expanding there offerings. I still feel that you always have to compromise when using most free security tools. While something is better than nothing. How long can AOL keep handing out free product and stay in business? Someone is going to have to pay for something at sometime.

If AOL hasn't been allowed to screw with the Kaspersky engine in any way. This is definitely a big move for Kaspersky. It also is raising the bar of protection given compared to the previous offerings.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Wow. AOL did something good.
It probably won't run on my computer, seeing as most free security apps refuse to run on 2000 Server. Off to find out now!

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2 to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
I read the EULA and personally I wouldn't install it. This is an adware program. And the EULA prohibits ad blocking. There are other free AVs that are not ad supported. Also in the EULA this objectionable item:

2. CHANGES TO THE SOFTWARE. We may change or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, functions and features of the Software at any time and in our sole discretion.

Which means they can disable features (protection) at any time at their sole discretion.
bilbusb
join:2003-04-10
Tucker, GA

bilbusb

aol is a virus, how do they protect their prodect from itself?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Super Cool!!! I just put it on one snapshot on my virtual machine (I have McAfee Enterprise 8.5i beta on another snapshot and F-Prot 4 beta on yet a third snapshot).

It's KAV 2006 stripped down. The only thing it needs is the ability to exclude. Otherwise, it's just fine. It's the KAV engine and signatures. I got it set up to update every 5 minutes. I don't have the email scanner running.

I am happy. I need an AV for my 98SE box where Bit Defender free is not working. This will be perfect. To put it on another computer, I just have to provide an email address...I guess a different from the one I gave this time? I'll try the same one.

I can't believe Kaspersky is giving this away! Granted it doesn't have ProActive Defense...but that is ok. This is just great.
If there are ads with this, I have no idea where as it has the KAV 2006 GUI and no place there for ads. I think it is supported by email from AOL business partners.

HA Nut
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

HA Nut to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
I'm demoing the new AOL/KAV on my ancient 98SE laptop and it seems to be fine (and that's saying something as the laptop is barely limping along with a bad vent fan.)

I too do not see where ads would come via the KAV installation. It looks nearly identical to the regular version. As for the email marketing stuff, that's easily dealt with.

If things continue as they have initially, this would be an easy recommendation over the other 3 freebies we all ususally recommend...

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to bilbusb

Premium Member

to bilbusb
said by bilbusb:

aol is a virus, how do they protect their prodect from itself?
Took the words tight out of my mouth!!

Wonder how many corrupted files of AOHELL's that version of Kaspersky finds? Probably designed not to scan any AOHELL files!

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

Buddel to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
I'm also in two minds about this AV. It does look very promising, but there are some companies I don't trust/like - AOL is one such company.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
I can't install it on my 98SE box. It gets to the point where it asks for the key which I have copied from the email. I paste the key in and then it contacts the servers and then rejects the key as the incorrect key. I used the same email address for the XP download and the 98SE but I know which email goes with which download. It is is the right key.

I am so disappointed. Who do I contact about this? AOL or Kaspersky or both?

As for the ridiculous remarks about KAV not scanning AOL files, etc. you guys...grow up...AOL is not the devil and never has been. I had AOL for two years when I got my first computer in 99. I simply minimized AOL as soon as I connected and then used IE stand alone to surf. AOL was the best dialup provider I tried. The others couldn't connect me above 14.4kbps and when I tried Earthlink I got the first and ONLY viruses I have EVER gotten in email immediately. AOL mail was great.

Anyhow, AOL is now a portal and you don't need to get AOL as an ISP or use their browser, etc. to use KAV lite. If I get some marketing emails, that is ok and the EULA said I can decline any further emails after the first. What more could you ask for? (Only that my problem with installing gets fixed)!

HA Nut
Premium Member
USA

HA Nut

Premium Member

Mele20: We sort of had opposite issues. You can't get your key to run. When I first clicked and tried to download AOL/KAV, I learned I needed NoScript temporarily whitelisted for the site. After the page reloaded, I clicked again and got the download. Then when I went to retrieve my key, I found I had 2 of them, both different. Since my download was the second click, I ended up using the second key.

Based on my experience, you might try downloading again???
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I have a weird issue on that machine. It is networked and used to get the same speed as the XP machine. But now it only downloads at 14kbps! UGH. Speed tests show very low speed yet the speed when surfing ...even in a thread that is heavy on graphics, it is fine...not slow like it is on my XP box if I use my backup dial up connection. It is just that it cannot download a file fast...this odd thing has happened gradually over the last six months. I don't think it is a bad NIC since surfing speed is ok...I don't know what it is but I don't want to have to download again. It could be a router issue but with no software firewall on that box and it now being networked, I can't remove it from the router and connect directly without a resident AV in place. It got Opaserve in less than 5 minutes shortly after I networked it several years ago and connected via dialup. Thank goodness, I had NOD32 on it then as NOD caught the virus.

I posted in the KAV forum. I don't know if AOL has a place to post about it or not. Heck, I really want this for the 98SE box.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Mele20 See Profile, did you read the EULA. I found it every bit as objectionable as the Netscape one. They can disable features any time at their discretion, they collect personally identifiable information and may share it with 3rd party vendors. It also specifically referred to banner and pop up ads and forbade the use of ad blocking software, so I'd gather at some point they will institute advertising in the software.

AOL's track record, including the release of 650,000 members' search records, isn't one I find comforting.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

I did read the EULA. Maybe I didn't read closely enough as I did not see the part about forbidding the use of ad blocking software. I saw they would share aggregate information. I didn't notice the part about sharing identifiable information which of course I don't like. I did see that they could disable features but that doesn't bother me. I don't think they can stop Proxo. I never got ads in AOL or had ads in AIM when I used it, etc. I used Netscape radio from AOL for a long time and never saw an ad because Proxo filtered them and AOL didn't kill Netscape radio because I filtered their ads. (I couldn't filter voice ads though).

I will read the EULA again. I can't see where they can put ads in the KAV GUI. I guess they will attach an ad to bottom of the GUI or something?

edit: I should have run the EULA through Eulalyzer.
eburger68
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28

1 edit

2 recommendations

eburger68 to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
Hi All:

For those wondering about the EULA for this offer, here the relevant parts that some folks may be concerned about:

»www.activevirusshield.co ··· ices.adp
quote:
3. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (...) (vii) block, disable, or otherwise effect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services, or other features that constitute an integral part of the Software; (viii) use the Software in any way that violates this Agreement or any law;

(...)

5. INFORMATION PRACTICES. When you register with us and use the Software, you provide us with certain personally identifiable information (your "APS Product information"). The following privacy provisions explain the information practices that apply to you as a user of the Software and its related features. Your use of our or our affiliates' other products, or third party offerings, is governed by their own privacy policies.

a. Information Collection: Your APS Product information consists of personally identifiable information collected or received about you when you interact with the Software and its related features. Your APS Product information may include registration-related information (such as your e-mail addresses); information about how you use the Software, as well as your responses to offerings and advertisements presented through the Software; transaction-related information (such as credit card or other preferred means of payment, billing or shipping information); customer service information; and technical and diagnostic information gathered or received from the Software. Your APS Product information may be supplemented with additional information, including publicly-available information and information from other companies. Your APS Product information may also include certain technical information gathered or received when you use the Software. Some of the technical information that may be collected or received includes: the type of browser you are using (e.g., Netscape, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using, the domain name of your Internet service provider, file requests for updates, computer errors arising in connection with use of the Software and Software configuration settings. The Software may also collect information about the malicious programs found on your computer during the scanning process and send the information to our servers for statistical purposes.

b. Information Use: Your APS Product information may be use to operate and improve the Software; to personalize the content and advertisements you receive; to fulfill your requests for products, programs, and services; to communicate with you and respond to your inquiries; and to help offer you our other products, programs, or services that may be of interest. Your APS Product information may be shared with affiliates of AOL Premium Services LLC ("Affiliates"). Affiliates that receive your APS Product information may use this information according to their applicable privacy policies.As a condition for your use of the Software, you agree to receive promotions and periodic e-mail messages from us and our Affiliates.

(...)

e. Marketing Preferences. You will be given the option in each marketing e-mail to opt-out of further marketing offers; however, please keep in mind that these preferences do not apply to communications that are directly related to the Software, your registration with us, or the fulfillment of a specific transaction you have requested. Because the choices you make in connection with your APS Product information may not take effect immediately, it is possible you may receive a communication during the period in which your request is being processed.

(...)

Note that I have not yet installed the software, and thus cannot report on its performance or behavior. Given the nature and source of the AV software (Kaspersky) as well as the price ("free"), this will be an understandably tempting offer for many. Before they take the plunge, though, I would urge folks to read carefully and understand what they may be getting themselves into.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

HA Nut
Premium Member
USA

HA Nut to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
While I have the utmost respect for everyone who is concerned about the EULA (and I do mean that! ), I just don't see the big deal. If something really negative comes along, off the PC it will go.

IMO, AOL is playing the laws of averages. The average user often reponds to marketing and they clearly intend to send email that has advertising. If it goes beyond that (and I'm not saying it can't/won't) then I'll rip it out.

All they have from me personally is a Hotmail address. And that's all they'll ever get...

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
KAV's great, but i wouldn't personally install this !

I posted about the EULA issues after reading the EULA inside the App on partial install myself yesterday when i was thinking of trying it out - »AOL Antivirus Shield - Free

Spanner
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MADx

Premium Member

to MADx
I read the EULA again and I don't see anything terrible. Proxo will block any banner ads they may add. I don't mind email marketing. I gave them a web email address that gets spam already. Maybe I still have a soft spot in my heart for AOL my first ISP who served me well for two years (the last six months were free too). Plus, I loved beta testing for AOL. I got to test some neat applications that are now in wide use. That was lots of fun (even when an AOL beta build wrecked my OS installation). Plus, I want to see AOL do better so that they are not dragging down Time Warner who has Road Runner my ISP.