spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andrew1234

join:2006-06-28

[ Express] Is Rogers throttling my upload speed?

When I'm downloading form my private torrent trackers i get full download speed from 400KBs to 600KBs but i get like 3KBs upload and its hard for me to keep a good ratio what should i do? I'm suppose to be getting 50KBs + and there lechers that need the torrent! And ideas or comments post! Thank You!

Rogers1

join:2004-10-14
Canada
The short answer is probably yes they are, I am encontering the same issue, happened shortly after home phone was added in my area.

insomx
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Canada
Yup, they throttle the upload

Rogers1

join:2004-10-14
Canada
reply to andrew1234
with any luck after the home phone is stable (in NB) we are hoping that they will drop it as they did in many areas in Ont.

Romeoz

join:2002-10-04
Hamilton, ON
reply to andrew1234
same prob here, i'm in etobicoke

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
I'm in Kanata (Ottawa) and what I've noticed is that the speed stays at like 90kb/s for the first 5-10MB and then drops to 40-50kb/s and stays there. This is for HTTP/FTP uploads I've tested 5-6 hosts already.

I've only started encountering this problem since July, so I don't know if thats Rogers messing everything up or something?

Pre-july, I was always getting 99-110kb/s on uploads even though promised maximum was 100kb/s.
Expand your moderator at work

dhodge7

join:2003-11-01
reply to andrew1234

Re: [ Express] Is Rogers throttling my upload speed?

I'm in the Moncton, NB area on the extreme service and in the last month my uploads using private torrent sites went from 100KB+ down to 3 to 10KB.

something is certainly up with rogers and with this new price increase i am seriously considering trying aliant.. couldn't be that bad i figure.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to andrew1234
related:

I wasn't sure if Rogers did in fact blacklist »www.secureix.com/

but I cannot access this site anymore, but if I use some proxy sever, this page poppes up in a second.

SecureIX was providing free VPN, which you could use to bypass Rogers p2p throttling.

I think that this is outrageous and ought to be illegal - I mean they can't just block off sites left and right just because they want to - So much for the Freedom of Internet

dhodge7

join:2003-11-01
reply to andrew1234
I can access the site but am not able to make a connection to their vpn server

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to andrew1234
There are DNS issues and connectivity issues with secureix ... Secureix themselves admit to the connectivity problems.

Many DNS and other problems are resulting from the use of a new batch of IP addresses.

tuner2

join:2006-06-03
Scarborough, ON
I cannot connect to secureis through rogers. I brought my computer to friends house who's with aurora cable and I connected no problem. Rogers is for sure not allowing us to connect. This is bullcrap....anyone got any suggestions?

insomx
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Canada
tuner, it's the other away around...secureis is the one not accepting the connection...

Sanek

Kanata, ON
reply to andrew1234
It does look like its a DNS issue (or a poor block attempt by Rogers). If you try to access secureix.com by its IP address directly (»64.74.111.198/), you will be able to connect to the site.

Now as for their VPN, if they're hosting the VPN server on the same system, then you can use this IP as well. I will try to find the IP for their VPN service.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
DNS Query Results:
vpn.secureix.com. 300 IN A 66.150.105.250
vpn.secureix.com. 300 IN A 66.150.105.66

Try using one of the IP addresses above to connect, this should work.

Sanek

Kanata, ON
Follow-up: I was unable to connect to their VPN servers

jaszy

join:2006-06-29
York, ON
Yes, I find that Rogers is indeed throttling my upload speed too. Although recently, it only takes me less than a minute to connect to SecureIX. Weird. I'm on the Etobicoke hub on Rogers Express by the way.

The only problem is that when I have SecureIX on, some of the webpages I visit don't FULLY load...for example eBay or google images. When I disconnect from SecureIX, all the websites I visit load normally.

pippi63

join:2006-07-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to andrew1234
I have the same problem with throttling using a private tracker. I can download at about 100+kB/s, but upload is around 3kB/s. I've tried everything possible to improve the uploads by following suggestions from various sites. No go.

If rogers is doing throttling the upload and there is no way around it, can anyone recommend another ISP that does not throttle in the Toronto area (Scarborough)?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
For other ISPs look in the Canadian Broadband forum on this site.

Jean Poutine

@nibble.net
reply to Sanek
Man, VPN did the trick for me. With BT, I was getting about 1-10 KB before regardless of how many seeds or the swarm speed, and I was lucky if I could upload 5 KB. With VPN, I've gotten up to 600 KB - yes that's bytes not bits - and my upload will stay around what I set it to (50-80 KB). However, when I hit 600 KB, most of it was from one connection that would only last for a few min at a time, and that user had forced encryption. I get about 1-3 KB from most connections and given that a lot of them are cable, it seems that they're either being throttled, stingy with uploading, or they have the number of upload connections set too high for their upload speed. Perhaps, BT will improve if more people use VPN, but it's probly just a matter of time before ISPs find a way to screw with that too. It's like warfare to get what's advertised.