Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

llskyll

join:2003-09-18
Jacksonville, FL

Tiling and freezing

Hello

I got comcast cable+internet+telephone service about 2 months ago. I have had only one brief problem with the internet at about 3am one morning and that knocked the phone out too. but that isn't the real problem. i have what i guess is digital cable tv with on-demand. i only have the basic package which is channel's 1-90 something. i have 2 boxes and 1 tv connected directly to the cable. the 2 tv's that are connected to the box's have tiling day and night but not all the time it's sporadic, but when one is tiling the other is also tiling. i have noticed the its at its worse between 12:00pm and 9:00pm. this has been going on since it was turn on almost 2 months now. i lost count on how many times someone from comcast has been out. but a good guess is about 12.

here is a list of what has been done so far.
everything rewired even the drop.
both cable boxes have been replaced
bumped my signal up was low
bumped my signal back down was to high
unplugged my VCR from the cable
checked the lines down the street

none have fixed the problem yet

Please help
thank you

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
have you tried hooking up the third TV to a box and see if it gets tilling?

llskyll

Jacksonville, FL
no i have not tried the 3rd tv but i will now.

Thank you

dfgbdfg

@comcast.net
reply to llskyll
"have you tried hooking up the third TV to a box and see if it gets tilling?"

?? What are you talking about? What's the point of the third tv test?

llskyll

Jacksonville, FL
i don't know what the point is of hooking up the 3rd tv set. but i am at wits end and ill try anything. if you have any suggestions please feel free. thank you again

timog

join:2006-01-08
Richboro, PA
reply to llskyll
I am in Bucks Co, PA (Comcast) & I am having the same problem with tiling and the sound dropping out. This happens mostly when watching HD broadcasts.

Its always been an irritating problem with the HD but now its happening with Digital cable channels too like Discovery Times & Sci Channel.

Comcast has been out 2x already and replaced my Moto DCT5100 with a DCT6200\2005 , they also replaced a splitter & crimped on some new coax ends.

I called to setup another trouble call and they are coming tomorrow to keep trying.

Timo

macrospect
All The Little Stuff
Premium
join:2005-08-25
Newark, DE
*Waves from Doylestown*

Same problem here. Happens more on HD channels though. I was thinking about calling Comcast about this, but I doubt they will find anything if all of you are having the same issues. Sounds more or less like a headend issue to me.

dfunnell

join:2003-03-30
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to llskyll
the best thing to do is talk to as many neighbors as possible the more people who call the easier it is to track down the problem if your lucky osp line guys will check into the problem. if it is a head-end issue good luck they can last for years. Keep calling

timog

Richboro, PA
reply to llskyll
Hi *waves from Richboro*

They are telling me its a head end prob... wtf??? Ill keep calling Comcrap to try and get it fixed until I call Verizon to have my FIOS TV turned on. heheh I cant wait , I read an article in the Bucks Co Courier that said FIOS TV before end of 2006 or early 2007!!
»www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/···569.html

macrospect
All The Little Stuff
Premium
join:2005-08-25
Newark, DE
reply to llskyll
Damn you and your soon-to-come FiOS TV. I cant get FiOS in the condo where I live here.

Problem is I don't know how many people around here have STB's. I guess I could poke around to find out.

captainjy

join:2003-05-10
reply to macrospect
Where's CableTool when we need him because Comcast has "GOOD" service? Welcome to my world, man. All summer long, very little problems. Now that new season of shows is coming on, football and other shows, we are having episodes of slow motion and freezing...AGAIN. We have already had 4 units replaced, had techs out I don't even know how many at this point, replaced cabling, checked signal, down the line. Oh, my wife is just thriiiillled over this.

kandco

@covad.net
reply to llskyll
I'm in Harrisburg Pennsylvania and I have this problem too.I have digital cable. I don't have a HD tv, but it is doing it on the "regular" stations. I've called them twice to come out and fix it. I had the boxed replaced and even had the cable lines replaced to new lines in my townhouse. It still does it.

llskyll

Jacksonville, FL
reply to llskyll
Well it seems they finally figured it out. they replaced the amp on the pole. there are two little circuits under a plastic cap the after time get hot and will cause tiling and freezing. so if comcast has not replaced this amp yet you may want to tell them or insist that they at least look at it you can see burn marks around these circuits.

frantic1049

join:2006-09-24
Quakertown, PA
reply to llskyll
We also have the tiling & freezing problem with Comcast in SE PA. It started about a year ago when we switched from the HD cable box to the 2 tuner DVR. I can't remember how many field techs, but it was about 2 months until the problem was resolved. We were told so many different things - signal too weak, signal too strong, signal fluctuates, etc.

Also many things were tried ie: switched out our box, new cable, new ends, amplifier put on, amp taken off, splitter removed & cable run directly to the box, etc. Several times the tech said they'd put in a request for a line tech, but when I'd call to follow up, I was told that they never followed through on that. I'm not even sure that anyone did come to fix the problem outside, as we were told they'd put a door hanger on our front door, so we'd know they'd been there. That never happened. But eventually the problem went away & we had outstanding service ... for about 8 months.

Now it's back!!! Started in late July, around the same time as last year. Had 3 techs out, at least one being a "lead tech". First one switched out our box. We are on our 5th or 6th box in a year. Second tech said it was a problem outside & he would put in for a line tech. Problem worsened. Had to have another tech come to the house, only to tell us the last guy had NOT put in a request for a line tech, but he PROMISED us that he would.

I made another call. He didn't put in the request either. Now I have to get another tech to come to the house. We were given a 9 hour window for the 2nd visit this year & we sat on the couch waiting & waiting ....... He showed up the next day as we were on our way out!!!

Does anyone with similar problems have any suggestions. In the evenings, sometimes one of the tuners is watchable. But we usually record & there's no way I know of to choose which tuner will be used. I've been recording shows on both tuners (csi on reg. & hd channels) in the hopes that we can watch one of them.

Please Help!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits
im me your address. i will look into it. Loc:Quakertown, PA

frantic1049

Quakertown, PA
thanks rody_44, but i'm new here & haven't decided if i want to upgrade to premium, so i don't have im capabilities. is there another way i can get that to you?

also, i pulled up the inband status diagnostic screen just now & saw the SNR for tuner 3 dropping from in the low 30's to 28.7 to 0! When it was 0, the AGC was also 0. Also a high number of correctable & uncorrectable errors.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits
reply to llskyll
you dont have to be premium to im. i imed you, you should see a blinking icon on your screen. i will check for a response after the eagles game.

irdoc

join:2006-10-03
Jamison, PA
reply to llskyll
Just got a DCT3416 on Saturday, 9/30 and have a few issues. The prior box was a DCT5100. I am in Jamison, PA and served by Comcast-Ivyland, PA.

(1) It took over two days to populate the onscreen guide, and it's still not 100% full. I couldn't even record some primetime network shows on Monday night, because the DVR won't allow recording of "To Be Announced" listings.

(2) I also now suffer from an intermittent tiling, freezing, and audio dropout problem, which I never had before. I saw this on a few stations, most notably NBC-HD and CBS-HD. ABC-HD wasn't displaying the problem last night. Comcast came out today and said the signal was OK. He also indicated that ever since a channel lineup change in August, there have been many similar complaints, but they appear "random" and have been unable to solve the problem as yet. He said that they report such service calls under a special code so Comcast can monitor and track the problem. If I were Comcast, I'd be embarrassed to go two months without being able to solve such a significant issue. If I were a TV network, I'd be pissed that viewers were unable to watch some shows without disruption. CSI:Miami was so broken-up at times last night that I literally couldn't watch it - I had to watch it on the analog feed!

(3) It seems that when the DVR comes on for a scheduled recording, the broadcast is muted (it says, "MUTE" at the top center of the screen). I couldn't find a way to unmute the broadcast without stopping the recording. How inconvenient. My S/W version is 71.44-1203 and my F/W version is 12.22. Does anyone know if there is a workaround. I read that a more recent S/W version solves this issue, but Comcast claims that all of their boxes are at the same version #.

Thanks for any insights!

Stu

celeritypc
For Lucky Best Wash, Use Mr. Sparkle
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Caldwell, NJ
said by irdoc:

(1) It took over two days to populate the onscreen guide, and it's still not 100% full. I couldn't even record some primetime network shows on Monday night, because the DVR won't allow recording of "To Be Announced" listings.
It should take about 5 minutes for the channel data, 10 for the immediate listings and up to 24 to populate the 2 weeks out. If it takes any longer, you may have a signal issue.

said by irdoc:

(2) I also now suffer from an intermittent tiling, freezing, and audio dropout problem, which I never had before. I saw this on a few stations, most notably NBC-HD and CBS-HD. ABC-HD wasn't displaying the problem last night...
The problem could be one of many things. It sounds like it indeed may be a headend issue. It could also be a signal issue to your house (somewhere along the line), a source issue (at the broadcaster) or a combination of all three. Keep on them about this one.

said by irdoc:

(3) It seems that when the DVR comes on for a scheduled recording, the broadcast is muted (it says, "MUTE" at the top center of the screen). I couldn't find a way to unmute the broadcast without stopping the recording. How inconvenient. My S/W version is 71.44-1203 and my F/W version is 12.22. Does anyone know if there is a workaround. I read that a more recent S/W version solves this issue, but Comcast claims that all of their boxes are at the same version #.
The new version of the guide will allow you to turn off the mute by pressing the volume button. What I did is reprogram the help button to the cable box mute. Do the following:
Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
Enter code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
Enter code 00141.
Press whatever button you want to map the mute function to.

Hope that helps

irdoc

join:2006-10-03
Jamison, PA
Thanks for the helpful reply. I did find a site to allow me to reprogram keys on the remote, and I mapped the MUTE function to the remote's HELP button. This works as expected. Note that the Comcast "genius" told me this mute "bug" was a known issue without any known workarounds, except to stop the recording, turn off the STB, then turn it back on and resume recording. Why can't Comcast hold regular training sessions to bring all of their techs (he was not a subcontractor) up to date. Having these guys come by is a complete waste of my time. Plus the guy smelled like he hadn't showered in weeks!

BTW, I also mapped the SKIP function (jump ahead 30 seconds) to the remote using the same process with code 00173. Works great!

Regarding the tiling/freezing problem, I requested a line tech to investigate. We'll see if that ever happens.

Stu

frantic1049

Quakertown, PA
reply to irdoc
said by irdoc:

same here. i had to set up a manual recording to get csi miami last night. box was installed friday. today (tuesday) it is populated for almost all of the next 2 weeks. FINALLY!

said by irdoc:

(2) I also now suffer from an intermittent tiling, freezing, and audio dropout problem, which I never had before. .
see my earlier post. had 4 techs here on 3 different days last week. after many box swaps, i think that problem may have been solved, knock wood. i still find it hard to believe that so many defective boxes are in circulation.

said by irdoc:

(3) It seems that when the DVR comes on for a scheduled recording, the broadcast is muted (it says, "MUTE" at the top center of the screen). .
one of the teches that was here last week, as well as a member of another forum, said that this happens when the box turns on to record & you just either have to unmute it or leave your box on.
good luck!

frantic1049

Quakertown, PA
reply to llskyll
update on previous post. had 4 field techs out on 3 different days last week. the first swapped out our box AGAIN. tried 2 or 3 of them actually, and suggested we keep the newest, at 3412. no more tiling or sound drop outs! but this one would lock up on us & not allow the viewing of recorded shows. 2 days later had a "new out of box" one delivered & installed. it wouldn't allow me to swap tuners. went to diagnostic screen & found tuner 2 "unavailable". had to set up recordings on 1 tuner only, but later found out that it didn't seem to have a hard drive either! the front of the box was clearly marked "dual tuner dvr". well, it did have A tuner.

finally, on friday, we get another brand new box, a 3416. only occasional tiling! TWO functional tuners! and a 160g hard drive! it may have a few bugs in it, but it's the best we've had in months. i have my fingers crossed!

timog

Richboro, PA
reply to llskyll
Sup Bucks Co folks, Looks like the fixed it. Tech replaced splitters, cable ends, wire from the pole to my house, and some inside wiring. Then he replaced a 4 way splitter that was out on the tele pole , wha la! Very minimal tiling any more. Im talking about maybe once or twice in the Eagles game instead of like before when it was 2 times per minute.

Finally fixed! and Hey Comcrap, Im still switching to FIOS TV!

TileInJamison

@71.225.x.x
reply to irdoc
Stu, it's a headend problem and Comcast doesn't know when it'll be fixed. Call for massive credits, but when you call the 800COMCAST number ask for account retention department, otherwise they'll just send out tech after tech. Everyone in Jamison has this problem!