uniqs
share rss forum feed

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to Dark Shikari

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast throttling?

little birdies say that it IS so.
It is apparently supposed to affect the incoming (to the comcast network) only...for now anyway.

Don't know any more details as the birdies I listen to didn't have anymore info than that.

I personally don't care about emule/edonkey or that crap, but I do use bit torrent some and would be pissed about that.

peace

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
It would have to be within the last month, or two. I was downloading with BitTornado on a Comcast connection, and got full download speed. In June.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

gd16

join:2006-08-17
Portland, OR
this just started happening to me in Portland a few days ago. When I kick BitTornado into super-seeder mode I can maintain connections. The work around is to use encryption via Azareus or uTorrent. But that doesnt help if the people you are connecting to are not running encryption.

gd16

Portland, OR
and bit torrent works just fine when i am downloading AND uploading. However, when I complete and am only seeding. The connections drop right off to zero.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by gd16:

and bit torrent works just fine when i am downloading AND uploading. However, when I complete and am only seeding. The connections drop right off to zero.
Variable nature of the tracker. In the last week I was downloading episodes of an anime show. On a couple of episodes I got very good D/L speeds, on the order of 224KBytes/sec (3008/512 DSL). On others I got lousy downloads. On some episodes there were only a handful of seeders, leechers, or both. At least one episode saw my upload drop to zero after I completed the file, but while I was still in seed mode. When I checked, there were no leechers at all in the torrent.

I once had a show that took five days to download! Very low activity, and I hit 98% complete when the number of seeders went dry.

When I was connected to that Comcast connection, I never saw max download on any anime torrents; I got the max download pulling a Knoppix LiveCD ISO image.

Indeed, after upgrading to AT&T Yahoo! HSI Pro (3008/512), I have yet to max my D/L. If it is "throttling", though, they aren't doing very well. Hard to think that there is throttling when I can get 224KBytes/sec on a good torrent. I suspect that there just aren't enough well populated seeds for the niche genre shows I am fetching.

»torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/http:/···i-kl.de/
--
Norman

gd16

Portland, OR
I see what you are saying in this post...obviously you think I have an extremely low intelligence level.

My peers drop to zero the second I complete. And while the tracker shows 50-60 leechers.... my client sees none. They appear for a brief second until comcast's software sends the disconnect.

I understand how trackers and bittorents work. I am telling you Comcast is doing this now. Perhaps not to you or your service error. But this is really happening to me.

gd16

Portland, OR
I meant service area.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to gd16
said by gd16:

...obviously you think I have an extremely low intelligence level.
Can't be any lower than mine.

However, I still have to wonder. What is the point of killing the completed download? The worst impact of upload is saturating the bandwidth, and that is happening during the download, as well as after.

Unless, maybe it isn't bandwidth they are trying to limit, but upload volume? They are willing to let you download, but they don't want you going over a TerraByte of uploaded data? Something like that.

IOW, I can see them capping down/up performance; other cablecos do that routinely. I don't understand letting the torrent run unimpeded until it is complete, then killing it altogether.
--
Norman

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to gd16
said by gd16:

That's normal when super-seeding.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon USA
~ Keeper of the D-Link FAQ ~ Did you Search? ~ More features, Free! Join BBR! ~

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to alfnoid
said by alfnoid:

little birdies say that it IS so.
It is apparently supposed to affect the incoming (to the comcast network) only...for now anyway.

Don't know any more details as the birdies I listen to didn't have anymore info than that.
I am seeing evidence of this, but it's not conclusive.

CacheLogic ( »www.cachelogic.com/ ) shows up in my firewall log from time to time. Most recently, they showed up while I was downloading a popular linux distribution -- a legal file -- via BitTorrent. I went to their website and, yes, that's what they do. They identify file sharing traffic for ISPs.

My speed did not seem affected at all. It was a fast swarm. Perhaps it's just monitoring for now. Or perhaps they ignored me because they got dropped at my firewall.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon USA
~ Keeper of the D-Link FAQ ~ Did you Search? ~ More features, Free! Join BBR! ~