Search similar:

uniqs

gwion
wild colonial boy

join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA

gwion

Stupid proxomitron tricks II

OK, we've been trying this out for a couple days, and it's working fairly well. Some proxomitron users remarked on some speed issues... that's related, mostly, to threading and processor load. I posted an "experrimental" tweak that works fine, for me, on NT over to web monks. CJSmith's tried it on 2k, and seems to be having no problems... rather than repost it, I'll link anyone interested to the original post. Again, be warned, it's only tested on NT and 2k, but if you change the extension from .cmd to .bat, it should run on any flavor of windows. Just remember, I know next to nothing about the 9x threading or priority model, so I take no responsibility if it freezes something or crashes someone... just reboot and don't use it, if it does... I don't even know if it's correct 9x syntax, but I suspect it should work... if anyone does get it to run on 9x, I would be curious as to how it worked... anyhow, here's the link... hope someone finds it useful

»Stupid Proxomitron tricks...

Murray3
join:2001-03-06
Texas

Murray3

I visit the Web Monks forums only occasionally... so thanks for flagging this one up here. (I would have probably missed it otherwise).

I'll be trying the Proxo tweak tonight!

gwion
wild colonial boy

Pittsburgh, PA

gwion

I posted it there 'cause I wanted to keep testing it, here, before I threw it to the rest of us, but still get some impartial input ... didn't want to be having to post a retraction the same night I posted a tweak ... so far, it's worked well for ~72 hours here, so I decided to let it loose... enjoy, and let us know if it helps...

bradleyd
I can't spel
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Up yours!

bradleyd to gwion

Premium Member

to gwion
I tried a .bat file, but WinME doesn't like the "/high" switch. I don't know enough to mess around with it. maybe someone else out there does.

cjsmith
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Villa Rica, GA

cjsmith to gwion

Premium Member

to gwion
qwion as you had already stated, I am running this tweak with Proxomitron and I had noticed immediate results. It is as if I have an new and empty cache with all loads.

Faster page loads without changing anything to my default filter set. I am running of course Zhen-Xjells latest ver. 1.12, and have had no problems with his set since the very first install, and I have had it on both 98 and W2K.

I am going to continue monitoring Proxomitron's performance, and I will keep any new discoveries with this current arrangement confined to this thread.

I am thinking of playing around with the filters that are currently running by omitting a few as I am looking forward to hereing the "Proxo Scream".

Thank you for the excellent tip!

Regards,

-cj.-
_______

DaneArne$
join:2001-04-14
Denmark

DaneArne$ to gwion

to gwion
Hi,

As far as I know there is no such command as "HIGH" for Win98, but one can change the priority with 3. party software like PrcView from PCWorld »www.pcworld.com/download ··· 1,00.asp

I have tried it, but since my connection is so fast already (10Mbits), it is difficult for me to see any change. So this is just a tip for other W98 users on how to change priority. (If anyone knows about how to change the priority in W98 it would be nice)

--
Arne

cjsmith
Premium Member
Villa Rica, GA

cjsmith

Premium Member

Yes Arne you are perhaps correct.

Additional info on Windows 98 multitasking/threads/proccesses and be found at
Windows 98 Architecture and Application Support

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell to gwion

to gwion
Well gang, the last release of my files are pretty well built. There hasn't been anything major I've seen to add to it yet.

Glad all is working well.

gwion
wild colonial boy

Pittsburgh, PA

gwion

I second that. The Zhen conf files contain everything I can imagine, really. As far as it goes, I'm still figuring out all of the filters, here. Great job...

The "trick" works well on NT and 2k, so far. Looks like it may not be a 9x trick. Thanks to those who offered input. As always, again, thanks, Zhen, for finding this goodie, and for all the work getting a more complete filter set together and working great.

PS - looks like some users have this working on 98... make sure you rename it to *.bat, for 9x/Me... remember, *.cmd is an NT family convention...

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to Zhen-Xjell

MVM

to Zhen-Xjell
It seems I missed the last release of the config files. Any chance of pointing me to it.

cjsmith
Premium Member
Villa Rica, GA

cjsmith

Premium Member

»asp.flaaten.dk/pforum/to ··· PIC_ID=7

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

Thanks CJ. I went to that site and tried to find info on his config files before, but was blocked. Your linked opened that locked thread there.
Much appreciated.

cjsmith
Premium Member
Villa Rica, GA

cjsmith to gwion

Premium Member

to gwion

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny

join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

Zhen-Xjell to gwion

to gwion
BWT I asked WCB to include this in my review thread, and it should now be there. Figured this link was more appropriate since it also points to the one in webmonks.

DaneArne$
join:2001-04-14
Denmark

DaneArne$ to TransitMan

to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:
Thanks CJ. I went to that site and tried to find info on his config files before, but was blocked. Your linked opened that locked thread there.
Much appreciated.
It is only the topic that is locked (not the reading of it)

--
Regards
Arne