spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Confused1967

@swbell.net

[DIRECTV] Do Dish and Direct Tv Use the same satellite?

Hello,
I formerly had Direct Tv. My satellite signal want out whenever would even get a little drizzle of rain. I left and went to Dish Network; I have not had the same problem with Dish Network. The signal stays strong even in strong rains. I once asked a Dish Network serviceman if he knew why, and he said that the Direct Tv installation must have been bad or the hardware was bad, because there really is no other reason, since the satellite dishes were in the same physical location on my roof, and that Dish and Direct Tv share the same satellite. Now I am considering going back to Direct TV because of NFL Sunday Ticket (they offered me a good return offer and the package I want is cheaper anyway). I am hesitant because of my past problems. Do you folks think the Dish network serviceman was correct, that the Direct TV install had probably been bad?
Thanks a lot for any help,
Mike

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

DirecTV and Dish do have satellites in the same orbital locations, 110' and 119' (1), but they are NOT the same satellite. He was probably right about the "installation", meaning the aim of the DirecTV dish.

(1) »www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Confused 1967

@swbell.net

Hi, thanks for the info! That does set my mind at ease.
Mike

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

4 edits
reply to Confused1967

a few minuts of actual degrees but yes BOTH prime main service sats are in almost the same place....

And never seen it stated but might guess polarity opposite as well

But Yes both's prime sats are less than a degree of geo symc orbit... but they use different compression which (and both fully digitalt) that closely spaced (~110 and 119) makes them separable.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Hayward:

afew minuts of actual gegrees but yes BITH prime mainservice sats are in almost the same place....

And never seen it stated but might guess polarity opposite as well

But Yes both's prime sats are less than a degree of geo symc orbit... but they use different compression which (and both fully digitalt) that closely spaced (~110 and 119) makes them separable.
Both satellites use the same type of polarity, circular, in both right and left. It doesn't have anything to do with what type of compression they are running. The way that they keep them seperated is off of what transponder frequencies they are running at.
--
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

1 edit
reply to Confused1967

Your rain-fade problems most likely were caused by water in your connections, not water in the air between you and the sat. As long as your system is installed correctly with proper weather proofing, either system should be pretty stable in the rain.
I have self-installed both systems and have never had a significant problem with rain-fade. If it's raining VERY hard, the signal will go about 5 minutes before the rain starts and has never been down for more that about 15 minutes at a time. It's actually fairly predictable...

Confused 1967

@swbell.net

Thespis, thank you for that information. I am sorry I didn't thank you before. I haven't visited the forum for a while.