how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kim11364

join:2001-11-27
Oakland Gardens, NY

which cable modem is best for Road Runner

I am still using Toshiba pcx1100u. I think it's time to change for new cable modem.

LatinTek

join:2004-06-03
Fresh Meadows, NY

Well, if you're getting the speeds you're supposed to be getting then there should be no reason for an upgrade. Better off to wait till TWC RR rolls out DOCSIS 3.0 Then you'll need to upgrade.

bobjennings

join:2006-08-30
West Hempstead, NY

1 edit

usually if i can remember the latess one for rca is the best think its 425 , wont make ur speed faster unless something is wrong with the modem

can just bring it to a payment center to replace at any time

lseltzer

join:2000-05-17
Fresh Meadows, NY

And make sure your router has a 100mb port, not limited to the old 10mb.
--
Larry Seltzer larry@theseltzers.com

bobjennings

join:2006-08-30
West Hempstead, NY

ya thats important too

stevech1

join:2005-01-08
reply to kim11364

are there RoadRunner cities that allow you to purchase your own modem and get a lower monthly price? Not so out west that I know of.

lseltzer

join:2000-05-17
Fresh Meadows, NY

I think you can purchase your own modem in NYC, but the cost is the same. You end-up buying the original modem anyway...I don't think it's rented...no?
--
Larry Seltzer larry@theseltzers.com

TW_GK

join:2005-05-04
Chatham, NJ

From all my experiences with cable companies, including Time Warner, the modem is always a rental. If you look at your monthly bill, there should be a breakdown of the high-speed Internet access price, and in that breakdown should be a "modem rental fee."

Frankly, with the price of cable service, you eventually shell out enough cash to buy the modem, but the cable company always wants you to return the modem when you or they terminate your service. Reason being, I believe the unit is set to the specifications of their network, and they don't want you taking the modem to use on another network.

Conversely, in my experience with DSL providers (namely Verizon), you do end up buying the DSL modem, and they let you keep it when your service has been terminated.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to kim11364

Yes, you can buy your own modem and the reason for doing so is that you can get the best modem which may not be offered in your franchise at the present. Plus, it is not refurbished.

I would never use any modem except a Motorola Surfboard.

pa_grape
Premium
join:2006-07-24
Columbus, OH
reply to kim11364

I agree with Mele20. I have owned a Motorola Surfboard for years and it has worked perfect. I just called rr tech support when I first bought it and gave them the mac address on the bottom of the modem. They had it working in about 30 seconds and it's worked non-stop for over 3 years.

LatinTek

join:2004-06-03
Fresh Meadows, NY

Well, like I said earlier if it ain't broke... Never the less.. IF you still want to get a new modem then talk to your local center for info on what Modems they have available for you to choose from. I agree with everyone that said Motorola Surfboards are the best. I have a SB4100 and SB5100. I used the 4100 for 3 years and then decided to get the SB5100 when they came out. Never had any problems with them. Now, if you use VoIP with TWC then find out if TWC will be able to hook you up with the Motorola SBV5220 cause the Arris modem is kinda.. well it works but I'd feel better with an SBV5220 if it were available in my area.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to kim11364

Although im really biased on the subject, if you get Digital Phone, go for the newer webstar modems. Best I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Although ours we got pretty much brand new. Ive still got the original box, usb cable, and driver cd for it. Nevertheless it has been rock solid stable for me.

But then again, you also have to look at your cable system. If your signal coming in is bad as it its, none of the modems are gonna perform any differently really. Thankfully our franchise has been awesome in this regard.
--
I reject your reality and substitue my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
reply to LatinTek

But you failed to tell the OP how bad that horrible Toshiba 1100u is. I had that when I first got RR over five years ago. It has NO log (and has documented problems with achieving the highest speeds)! So when TW lied to me about the modem stats and said my pitiful 500kbps down was normal speed (it was 2000kbps advertised back then), I had no way to prove the problem to them. My friends in Kona, who had RR introduced a year before it came to Hilo, told me to return the Toshiba and ask for a Surfboard 4100 as it has a great log. So, I did that and immediately could see that Oceanic TW either was lying or had a bunch of incompetent employees. My SNR was only 28dB and the upstream was at 56dBmV. I called tier 3 and read them the stats and, while the local TW office had refused to send anyone out earlier when I had the Toshiba and had complained of poor speed, now that I had the modem stats to prove something was wrong, a field tech was dispatched the next day and it got fixed ...only temporarily though.

Each time I had horrible problems, I was so thankful I had the SB 4100 with the excellent logs. The logs, especially in the 3100, 4100, and 4200 always told the story if you learned how to properly interpret them but the Toshiba 1100u has none of this. The Toshiba 1100u was abandoned here years ago because it caused too many problems and, of course, Toshiba exited the modem business several years ago. The only reason some franchises bought Toshibas is because they were so cheap. That came back to bite them when Toshiba exited the business. Toshiba's later modems were even worse. Always demand a Surfboard and if your franchise doesn't have any ...then buy one is my advice.
--
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

»www.ie7.com/

jubangy
Premium
join:2005-03-26
Corry, PA

Is it possible to buy another modem, add it to my home account and then use it somewhere else that has the same cable company? Like taking my modem from home and using it at a friends house when I go seeign as how they both have time warner cable?

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to kim11364

Same experience as Mele20 here except my first Toshiba was good then basically died. The next 2 gave me terrible speeds and connection drops but at least I got TWC to agree with me. Another tech came out and could find nothing wrong with my line, so he offered yet another modem but gave me a choice of 3. Another Toshiba PCX5000(they seem to love those things in TWC Albany, not sure why), a Linksys, or a Motorola Surfboard. As Linksys has sucked over the past few years and I certainly did not want another Toshiba, I chose the Surfboard. I couldn't be happier considering this is TWC(lol). I get near full speed all the time except during crappy yellow network status. This includes peak times which I never got good speed/latency during. Who knew that the make of modem made that much difference? Live and learn.

Burrens

join:2006-01-17
Los Angeles, CA
reply to kim11364

Does anybody know what modems are available through Time Warner Austin? I singed up for new high speed service about 3 weeks ago, and was given a refurb Toshiba pcx1100u. About 2 to 3 times a day my internet signal drops. I work from home and this is very annoying. I am starting to think it might be the cable modem, as it is very old, and the cable guy had a very hard time syncing it up during the install.

Would any modem be better than the Toshiba pcx1100u?

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to jubangy

You cant buy another modem and have 2 modems for one account, theres been claims that you can take your cable modem to a friends house in the same city that they have been able to get internet from there but I wouldent really get excited about it.

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA

We have two modems. Its possible, but only because we have two buildings on one property.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX

yes im saying you cant have 2 cable modems on one residential account.

SOLdesign
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit

ok, read this carefully cuz I am not gonna say it again - we have two modems on one residential account.

There are two houses on the property and they wont let us have two accounts.

Yes it is possible to have two modems, but very unlikely unless you force them into the decision.
--
"Why don't you just Xanadu yourself right into the police car sir? Well, why don't you just Xanadont!"
- Reno 911

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Vchat20

I had the webstar modem with Digital phone would lock up a lot. Tier 3 sent someone out and replaced it with a Mot. Surfboard works better and is stable. the Webstar wasnt. Also was told by a tech that some of the WebStar's have issues and they're used when needed in this area.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX
reply to SOLdesign

What im sateing is you CANT go out to a store buy a cable modem go to a friends house and plug it in and expect it to work.

SOLdesign
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

Actually you stated several different things, one of which was there can only be one modem per account. I made it clear it is possible to have two.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
Katy, TX

I did not know you could but still you cant go out unless you work something out with Time Warner you can plug some modem you bought from the store and expect it to work.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

said by MysticGogeta:

I did not know you could but still you cant go out unless you work something out with Time Warner you can plug some modem you bought from the store and expect it to work.
Well you just check their compatibility list on the local site, buy a modem in that list, then call. I had a Linksys that was crap so instead of buying another, I had RR rent me a modem and good thing-I've gone through 3 all replaced free. But all they need is your Mac address for a bought modem, which is easy to find.

kingbenj

join:2001-10-02
Kailua, HI
reply to kim11364

well i guess it depends on where you live.

here in hawaii they gave me a crappy toshiba modem so i went out and bought a Moto Surfboard 5120 today.

When I called in to give them the MAC address the CSR informed me that in hawaii you CANNOT buy your own modem. I asked him why and he said that they don't have the ability to track if a modem is owned or rented. he said you can only do it on the mainland.

he asked me why i wanted one and I told him that I get poor speeds (around 2mb on a 5mb plan) with the crappy toshiba. he said, well, 5mb is the max and i said yeah, but i should be getting at least 4 point something.

he said the only thing i can do is swap out my modem for a webstar modem since that is what they currently offer.

is it worth the swap? is webstar better than toshiba? he said it was made by scientific atlanta "the same company that makes your cable box" -- like that would give me any confidence in it!

the good news is that i bought the moto surfboard online from circuit city doing the in-store pickup -- with rebates it only cost $30 plus they didn't have it ready for me at the store so they gave me a free $25 gift card to say sorry. so for $5 i guess i'll keep it for later or sell it on ebay.

kingbenj

join:2001-10-02
Kailua, HI
reply to kim11364

well here's the funny part. after swapping the toshiba modem out and back in again (since the surfboard won't work) i'm now getting 4.5mb speeds.

i guess if that lasts i won't need to replace the modem afterall (and yes, i have re-booted the modem several times previously wwith no effect).

ufokillerz

join:2000-10-02
New York, NY

what modems are they giving out nowadays with new installations and upgrades etc?

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to kim11364

The thing that doesn't make any sense to me is Wal-Mart
Office Max and Radio Shack (and I suppose CompUSA etc on Oahu) sell cable modems. But since Oceanic won't allow you use your own, it would explain why I still see them on the shelf unsold ?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to kingbenj

Oceanic sucks. These idiots state on their help page that there are 15 vendors approved for modems used on the Hawaii RR. Scientific Atlanta (Webstar) is NOT among the approved vendors for modems used on the RR network.