uniqs

CapinPete
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
West Palm Beach, FL

CapinPete

Premium Member

126 "Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement" Emails

I pay for a domain and host so I have never used my @comcast email address nor do I intend to. I logged in via webmail today just to see what was on there since I logged on to the site anyway and I about fell off my chair laughing so hard.

I didnt go through every single email but I did randomly pick a bunch and they are all for downloading seasons 1 and 2 of Knight Rider of which I have watched 3 episodes in the 2 months I have had it. Each infringement notice seems to be for a different episode.

The 1st email I received was 7/26. What, exactly, is the point of these emails? I would imagine if they were going to do something, they would have done so after 126 emails.

Apollo729
join:2006-08-28
Avis, PA

Apollo729

So you don't deny that you download Knight Rider, but how did you go about it?

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to CapinPete

Premium Member

to CapinPete
126? And they havent followed up on it or anything? And i freaked out when I got ONE a few years ago from ATT!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to CapinPete

MVM

to CapinPete
The "Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement" just means that an RIAA/MPAA authorize agent has observed file uploads, from your IP address, for the programs identified in the notice. They have filed a complaint with Comcast, which has then forwarded a copy of the complaint to you. It is a "CYA" action on the part of Comcast; although, technically, I expect that they could exercise their power, under their TOS, to sanction your account. My guess would be that Comcast won't escalate the matter as long as the RIAA/MPAA doesn't escalate the matter.

Even if you paid for a copy on DVD, by using a P2P application to download a copy from an online source, you are also uploading content. The RIAA/MPAA is mostly concerned with unauthorized distribution (uploading) of protected content. Your best option is to not use P2P for downloading any material belonging to members of the RIAA/MPAA from unauthorized sources; even if you own an original copy on DVD. If you do download from an authorized source, stick to their recommended application, since that should give you cover against RIAA/MPAA sanctions.
raccettura0
join:2002-09-28
USA

raccettura0

It's more than just the uploading.

According to the RIAA/MPAA even ripping a DVD you own to your own computer so you can play it on a laptop without killing your battery is illegal. A DVD is a license to view the media on 1 device. Technically (according to them), you can only use the DVD on 1 player and 1 TV... if you have multiple TV's in your house, you need multiple DVD's.

So it's not just the upload, it's the duplication of the asset in question.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I will restate. The RIAA/MPAA is mostly concerned with enforcing what is technically feasible to enforce. They can't, easily, catch downloaders, or rippers. They can easily catch uploaders.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to CapinPete

MVM

to CapinPete
said by CapinPete:

The 1st email I received was 7/26. What, exactly, is the point of these emails? I would imagine if they were going to do something, they would have done so after 126 emails.
That's a pretty fair assumption to make, given how many you've gotten.

They never really were intended to be some serious legal message, rather more of a measure of good faith on Comcast's part to show some kind of positive activity against piracy.

The RIAA/MPAA is still in no position to be the final legal authority behind all this, and they can scream, yell, and send letters until they're blue in the face. Even in most of these scenarios, the people are only connected to the tracker (even though they're still seeding), but might not even be seeding directly to the RIAA/MPAA's bot. I'd still have a hard time seeing them take legal action based solely on that.
pyro0
join:2006-09-09
Port Huron, MI

pyro0

I just got one of those letters this morning. Hopefully it's the only one I'll ever get. I've been searching around for what, exactly, I should do as far as replying to them. I don't even have the file on my PC anymore. I actually have nothing on here since I formatted about 3 days ago. I read around with some saying to reply and tell them it's been deleted and never going to do it again and some say to just ignore it (admission of guilt) and to just not do anything. I also find it funny that my firewall has been stopping more attacks than ever. O.o

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Combat Chuck

Premium Member

said by pyro0:

I've been searching around for what, exactly, I should do as far as replying to them.
I'm not a lawyer so understand that as I tell you this: Unless the message was via certified mail or some other track able method of correspondence, I would just ignore the email. If they're coming from comcast it's just a CYA move on Comcast's part and I imagine all of the replies are never read, just filed somewhere in case a lawyer comes after them.

If you're really worried about it you need to stop trading copyrighted files unless you're reasonably sure the holder of said copyright is ok with it. Ignoring the moral stands and thoughts on what should be with regard to intellectual property rights; the copyright holders are in the right legally at this point, if you trade their files they might come after you and have a fair chance of winning. Besides most of the stuff coming out of the popular movie and music industry is utter crap anyway.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to pyro0

Premium Member

to pyro0
said by pyro0:

...I don't even have the file on my PC anymore. I actually have nothing on here since I formatted about 3 days ago...
...I also find it funny that my firewall has been stopping more attacks than ever...
Those "attacks" are likely just your former P2P clients still attempting to connect to your server.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by NetFixer:

Those "attacks" are likely just your former P2P clients still attempting to connect to your server.
I concur. I see hundreds of connection attempts to closed ports for a few hours after quitting torrents which were using those ports.