spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Slithe
@charter.com

Slithe

Anon

Does Charter offer a Wireless Router?

I've been reading how a lot of ISP's are offering Wireless Routers/AP now. I've had the same modem for 3 years now so am wondering if I should call them up and see if they got any new ones.

postssometimes
@charter.com

postssometimes

Anon

Most areas offer home networking which includes an install, necessary equipment (wireless adapters and combo modem router), and tech support.

I wouldn't classify it as inexpensive but it is a great solution for someone who doesn't want to do it themselves.

BBT IV
Premium Member
join:2006-03-22
Central Point, OR

BBT IV to Slithe

Premium Member

to Slithe
In the system I work we use a Netgear Wireless gateway for home networking installations. It's a decent modem, pretty reliable and not hard to install annd configure.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to Slithe

Premium Member

to Slithe
charter does not have wireless modem/router combos in the fashion it sounds like you want it for. you would have to subscribe to the home networking service (as the prior 2 posters have eluded to). You cant just rent the wireless modem. The router lease is about $5 a month, it costs $99 to install it i think.

in most areas that have HN, i think you can buy the 'wireless gateway' (router) for $150 instead of leasing it. sometimes you can do the install yourself but usually not.

my opinion? go to your local computer store and buy a wireless router. it would be less expensive ($40-$80 for the router and $40-$80 for the wireless adaptor) and they are not that difficult to setup. Just dont step ahead of yourself in the configuration - read the manual and you will be fine.

goduke
join:2005-08-16
Lincolnton, NC

goduke

With wireless routers so cheap these days. I would think you can get one yourself and save a load of cash not paying charter each month for the equiment. Mine set me back a whole 20 bucks. and that was a G router