..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

1 recommendation

justin to rawgerz

Mod

to rawgerz

Re: bad idea..

yes if you read my review I mention that more than once. Nevertheless, the book exists and it is not illegal to purchase it, or read it.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by justin:

yes if you read my review I mention that more than once. Nevertheless, the book exists and it is not illegal to purchase it, or read it.
Yes, it is legal and it very similar in ethics to those books on how to make homemade bombs. Perfectly legal and upheld in court numerous times on free speech grounds. But I would hope legitimate companies would refuse to carry and sell these books.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

Why? let the kiddies get permbanned by their ISP. Their parents will definitely appreciate it.
bmn
? ? ?

join:2001-03-15
hiatus

bmn to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

But I would hope legitimate companies would refuse to carry and sell these books.
Based on that logic, if something CAN be used for bad, then companies shouldn't carry it or sell it ?

Just about everything in your home would suddenly be gone from the shelves of every store.

Bleach, gone (because it can be used to make chlorine bombs more easily that you can hack your cable modem)... Guns, gone... Cars, all gone. Computes, poof! Phones, yep, them too. Children's Tylenol, done for...

No, that doesn't work. Instead of preventing this type of information from getting out, perhaps a consorted effort to show its value and explain its legitimate uses should be made ?

And of course, keeping the book from stores doesn't prevent someone with the slightest clue from firing up the internet and using Google.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium Member
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA

rawgerz to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I would try it just to see what it and if, it did anything. But I fear being cut off too much to ever attempt it.
I couldn't read it just too tempting

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Yes, it is legal and it very similar in ethics to those books on how to make homemade bombs. Perfectly legal and upheld in court numerous times on free speech grounds. But I would hope legitimate companies would refuse to carry and sell these books.
Hmmmm....

On one hand you say that the book is perfectly legal, then on the other hand admonish legitimate companies that might carry a legal product.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Michieru2 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Then it's best said to ban computer books which allow programmers to code applications. I like companies who carry books like these whether it be legitimate or not. Or do you think we should start burning these books simply because of there content?

Just like we should ban all guns to be given to citizens and only allow the army to have them. Or you think you are ok with them showing a burning flag but not of these muslims with a head shaped as a bomb because "it offends" them.

If you are going to be moral police on books you better apply it to everything and anything not just books and then you will see how unethical it really sounds.
91439306 (banned)
15,000 Watts of Bass Power
join:2002-10-16
New Milford, CT

1 recommendation

91439306 (banned) to bmn

to bmn
Not so. The government won't take away things that are required to earn a TAXABLE INCOME. So cars definately stay, even though auto accidents kill more people in a year than the Viet Nam war.

cwy1980
Premium Member
join:2004-08-10
Monmouth Junction, NJ

cwy1980 to Michieru2

Premium Member

to Michieru2
Should books discussing computer security/exploits be banned? How about all those books about rootkits that populate the shelves at Barnes and Nobles or Borders? What about the books talking about defeating WEP/WAP-enabled encryption on wireless routers?

Under your logic TKjunkmail, these are just as bad.

However they serve a helluva good purpose...they provide the information necessary for system administrators to ensure that as many vulnerabilities are assessed and addressed for their networks as is possible.

Don't bash a book because it contains information that can be used as an exploit. Anything can be used in a negative manner in life...

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

These books also inform the reader of the actual fact of things. If a company was lying to you saying that the service is secure yet there was a high rate of identity theft. Nobody would really know it's the encryption of the wireless routers which is failing. These books exploit facts of these wireless technologies that inform the reader and then everybody will know where the problem is occuring and avoid such products.
thefoxbox
go fox box go
Premium Member
join:2004-10-14
Irving, TX

thefoxbox to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

said by FFH5:

Hmmmm....

On one hand you say that the book is perfectly legal, then on the other hand admonish legitimate companies that might carry a legal product.
Could you clear this up for me? You said that "on the other hand you [warn] legitimate companies that might carry a legal product." Elaborate, please.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by thefoxbox:

Elaborate, please.
Definition 2: to reprove or scold

»dictionary.reference.com ··· admonish
thefoxbox
go fox box go
Premium Member
join:2004-10-14
Irving, TX

thefoxbox

Premium Member

said by John Galt6:

said by thefoxbox:

Elaborate, please.
Definition 2: to reprove or scold

»dictionary.reference.com ··· admonish
Sorry, I'm stupid. I like using smaller words that the general user community can understand. [/end common sense]
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to 91439306

to 91439306
I think you forgot to count the 1 - 2 million Vietnamese deaths during the Vietnam War.

I think they'd ban cars if that many people were dying per year.
91439306 (banned)
15,000 Watts of Bass Power
join:2002-10-16
New Milford, CT

91439306 (banned)

No, they wouldn't, because it's impossible to tax people who aren't working and earning income. Without a car, 95% of the US population wouldn't be able to earn income.