Search similar:

uniqs
blonderella
join:2003-10-11
Green Forest, AR

2 edits

blonderella

Getting Wireless.

I am currently with Hughesnet and am SO desperate to dump their cr@ppy service, but I don't really have any other options...there is DSL within 1000 feet of me with Ritternet (I can see my friends house who has DSL), but because I am "officially" in Alltel's ( now Windstream) service area, I am not legally allowed to purchase service from Ritternet per government regulations...the gov't says you can not have services from 2 companies coming into your home, I checked it out

anyway, there IS wireless service just now expanding into our area, but...and it's a BIG butt...the guy who owns the company, also owns the local dialup service and is a HUGE jack@ss...he is arrogant and a shady businessman, and has banned customers from his place of business who have come in to complain of faulty products they have purchased from him...I've had my own experience too, paying $200 to have a sound problem on my computer fixed, and ended up $200 later they didn't fix the problem, and told me to reformat...l.a.m.e.

anyway, he's obviously shady all around...but I still called him (because he's the only other option to sattelite) about his wireless service, and he was basically a jerk...he asked our internet habits and I told him with have a 3 computer LAN and do a lot of surfing and some uploading and downloading of files and he told me he wont take my service until he has a graphing program installed in this area...when I asked him what that was and why he needed it before he would provide me service he said in a nasty tone, and I quote, "it's my business and I'll do what I want"...no further explanation given...he then told me how he has cut customer's service off without notice for supposed over usage and has gone back shortly after installing their service and climbed up on their roof and taken his equipment back...one other thing he told me, he went to do an installation and said the customer was giving him some kind of flack, and saw the customer had peer-to-peer software installed on his computer, so he told me he threatened to report him to the FCC, and said that shut the guy up...

so, I guess that leaves me with no alternative to Hughesnet...I'm trying to research about the possibility of getting our own wireless tower, because somewhere I believe I heard of someone doing that, but I don't know if that's a viable option, financially or operationally...anyone have any thoughts on this?? you can answer here or email me at blonderella@bloodwither.com

thanks for the info on what to watch out for when getting wireless internet...after reading the info here, I know this company is probably not an option and I'm stuck with Hughes...

[mod note - edited the title in preparation for move to its own topic.]

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

Re: Wireless users, READ THIS!

said by blonderella:

anyway, there IS wireless service just now expanding into our area, but...and it's a BIG butt...the guy who owns the company, also owns the local dialup service and is a HUGE jack@ss...he is arrogant and a shady businessman, and has banned customers from his place of business who have come in to complain of faulty products they have purchased from him...I've had my own experience too, paying $200 to have a sound problem on my computer fixed, and ended up $200 later they didn't fix the problem, and told me to reformat...l.a.m.e.
As much as I hate to say it? , It does appear that Your experience from the computer will carry over to Your wireless experience, and I can only imagine what would happen if You had a support issue with CO or person?????
said by blonderella:

anyway, he's obviously shady all around...but I still called him (because he's the only other option to satellite) about his wireless service, and he was basically a jerk...he asked our internet habits and I told him with have a 3 computer LAN and do a lot of surfing and some uploading and downloading of files and he told me he wont take my service until he has a graphing program installed in this area...when I asked him what that was and why he needed it before he would provide me service he said in a nasty tone, and I quote, "it's my business and I'll do what I want"...no further explanation given...he then told me how he has cut customer's service off without notice for supposed over usage and has gone back shortly after installing their service and climbed up on their roof and taken his equipment back...
Whoa!!!!!!!, That is insane!!!. Now keep in mind that all of our customers sign a TOS, and if they violate that TOS, they are given warnings for a few times before we just pull the radio. It is quite apparent to me that he is doing this without installing the proper type of network management software(Hence the "graphing software" comment), and he has no way to control what one user could do to the entire network, so when one person fires up Limewire, everything drops to it's knees, hence his comment about "Calling the FCC". First of all, the FCC does not give a rats ass about P2P software. It is the RIAA that would like to know. After reading what You have posted, I suggest You run, not walk, from this WISP and just hang in there until a real WISP comes to town.
said by blonderella:

thanks for the info on what to watch out for when getting wireless internet...after reading the info here, I know this company is probably not an option and I'm stuck with Hughes...
Yeppers!.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to blonderella

to blonderella
said by blonderella:

...the gov't says you can not have services from 2 companies coming into your home, I checked it out
Do you have a link to said reg?

Technically, have the service go to a place that is not your home. It could be to a shed, a garage, or even a box on a pole.

If the person 1000 feet away is a real friend, that person could relay wirelessly to you another DSL connection. There are many inexpensive wireless bridges that would work straight out of the box, or you could deploy a pair of consumer AP gear like the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 in WDS mode.

None the less, I would not consider that WISP based on what you say and no, you are not stuck with satellite.

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to blonderella

Mod

to blonderella
said by blonderella:

I am not legally allowed to purchase service from Ritternet per government regulations...the gov't says you can not have services from 2 companies coming into your home
I, too, would like to see that in writing. I have Internet service to my house from three different companies and no one who has ever installed anything here has said a word about any such regulation.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I was wondering if they may be on the border area between two ILECs. I believe that it is true that an ILEC is granted "rights" to it's service area.