how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Conficio

join:2004-06-18
Melrose, MA
reply to cyzoonic

Re: [Connectivity] Google blocked or down!?

As of 5:30 ESDT the thing seems to be over.

K<o>

MPScan
Premium
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA
reply to dugiehowsa
said by dugiehowsa :

The problem was not with any one particular ISP, but rather.... with google's infratructure (Shocking!)...

I'll tell ya one thing. It lasted for roughly six hours on my end. While not a huge amount of time, it was during business hours on a weekday, and I use gmail for both personal and business e-mail. All my contacts are stored there as well, and files hosted on googlepages.

Yea, yea, I know there are paid services which should be used in that case...

My point is that up until today, I never realized the extent that I rely on google to function each day. e-mail, hosting, contacts, homepage, etc... it's actually pretty amazing how much they've slid into my life little by little without me realizing it.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to dugiehowsa
said by dugiehowsa :

The problem was not with any one particular ISP, but rather with google's infratructure (Shocking!)
At first, it seemed to be a problem with the Google cookies. Delete the cookies and you were fine. Temporarily at least.
This would actually make a lot of sense if it was the content acceleration engines (ie, Akamai), and not the Google servers themselves. It's likely that just the content engines attached to above.net network suffered the problem.

-Eric

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to cyzoonic
We saw the same thing on our AT&T T1 at work in Poughkeepsie, NY. I just switched to Dogpile and did my searches there.
--
Life is a journey; death is a given.

pinkydinkydo7

join:2006-09-26
Concord, NH
reply to cyzoonic
on the comcast help boards Comcast is saying it was a DNS hardware problem.. If that was the case why wouldn't changing the DNS to non-comcast number resolve the problem?

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to cyzoonic
Yeah, I saw that too. It's kinda neat that a Comcast DNS server impacted non-Comcast customers, especially when they don't allow recursive lookups from outside of their address space! Also, if you look earlier in the thread, Comcast folks had no problems doing DNS lookups to perform traceroutes to identify the problem. But hey, if they want to write their own epitaph who am I to stop them?

-Eric
Edit: I am, of course, being sarcastic above. Clearly this was not a Comcast DNS issue. After reading the comments on the front-page I felt it important to spell that out.