how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SodaAnt

join:2005-09-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to MiDiMaN888

Re: 1811w JACKASS mod - more memory for cheap $, less fan noise.

This is just like reading in a car's owner's manual that the warranty is voided if you use anything other than a Ford, Toyota, Honda, or [insert vehicle manufacturer name here] oil filter. As if making an oil filter is rocket science...

Same for memory. I doubt that Cisco memory is better than the premium brands of 3rd party memory such as Kingston, Crucial, or Corsair.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

said by SodaAnt:

Same for memory. I doubt that Cisco memory is better than the premium brands of 3rd party memory such as Kingston, Crucial, or Corsair.
It's the same thing. Cisco does not manufacture RAM. They buy from many different vendors. Quality memory is quality memory. I'm sure sometimes *gasp* they don't even use the best memory. Make no mistake that they use FUD to keep their profit margins up.

tburns

join:2006-07-19
UK

Quite.

I have seen plenty of routers shipped from Cisco with micron memory modules. Crucial is the retail part of Micron. If Micron is good enough for Cisco it should be good enough for the rest of us ;~)

And actually Cisco aren't particuarly "difficult" about 3rd paty memory. If it looks like you have a memory related problem then yes they will expect you to verify it with genuine Cisco memory (which isn't unreasonable) but for other problems it has not been an issue in my experience.