Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aveamantium

join:2006-10-02
Loveland, CO

1 recommendation

[ViaTalk] ViaTalk TOS Change October 4 2006

See below for the new wording in the TOS...

Billing

You acknowledge that service fees for ViaTalk service will be billed to the credit card you provide when establishing service for the full amount of the selected billing term prepaid in advance, including any shipping, activation, or other applicable charges fees taxes or charges. You understand that recurring service charges will be billed automatically on our around the anniversary of the date you established service in accordance with your term.

A Regulatory Recovery Fee of $1.25 will be charged monthly on all ViaTalk lines.

As per FCC requirements, all ViaTalk lines are required to be equipped with fully functional, nomadic E-911 Service. As a result, an E-911 Fee of $1.25 will be charged monthly on all ViaTalk lines.

If you use a coupon or discount which would cause you to have a positive credit balance upon ordering, ViaTalk will charge your credit card $10 for card verification. The $10 will then be credited to your ViaTalk account. This only applies if you would have a credit balance after using any coupon.

VTB, can you please verify that existing contracts will not be subject to the monthly $2.50?

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium
join:2001-07-24
Atlantic, IA

Yes if so I am wondering too.

I have never really got my service to ever work that well and I am living with the fact I threw away $200 HOWEVER if I must now throw away another $2.50/mo on my non functional service I will really be pi$$ed.

CyberSultan
Premium
join:2006-07-20
reply to Aveamantium

I don't see how they could charge retroactively for those that already prepaid for service.

As for charging monthly fees, that only really works for month-to-month plans.

As for long-term plans going forward, I don't think many will buy into paying 12-24 months upfront...and then have to pay monthly fees on top of that. A person would expect such fees to be wrapped-up in the prepaid total. The benefit is you pay upfront, get a deal for doing so, and not be billed again for a long time.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

we had fun discussions in the SR sub-forum on exactly this topic. I was wondering when the VT crowd would get around to it...

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN
reply to Aveamantium

I believe they're doing the same thing as SR. On month-to-month plans it'll go into effect on your next monthly bill. On annual/prepaid plans it'll go into effect when you renew. Pretty straight forward...

CyberSultan
Premium

I think there still needs to be some clarification on annual/prepaid plans. I can see them doing this on month-to-month plans. But for prepaid plans, the idea is not only to get a discount for investing in a long-term plan, but to also not be billed again until the plan comes up for renewal. I think it would be a big mistake to try to bill monthly fees on long-term plans.

B
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-28
reply to Aveamantium

said by Aveamantium:

As per FCC requirements, all ViaTalk lines are required to be equipped with fully functional, nomadic E-911 Service. As a result, an E-911 Fee of $1.25 will be charged monthly on all ViaTalk lines.
Wow, they're actually sticking to that baloney line, and putting it right in the ToS? It was pretty clear, based on the links VTBrendan provided, that "nomadic E-911 Service" is exactly, nothing more and nothing less than, the service Viatalk has ALWAYS provided in order to grant 911 services to ALL of its customers. It's nothing new at all, and no recent changes were required on Viatalk's part (as far as I understand of course). [The "nomadic" part doesn't refer to mobile users at all, but to the de-linking of 911 registration information from any particular CO or other point of presence. Brendan gave a link to a good article on the subject.]

And this "Regulatory Recovery Fee" thing, well, of course that's just Vonage-style chicanery...

I guess everyone's playing this new game and nobody's willing to state "Bottom-Line Pricing (SM)" any more...

Anyway, I think Brendan recently wrote in a thread, before the addition of the bogus RR fee but after the addition of the bogus E911 fee, that new charges would not be applied to existing accounts. Good luck.

-- B
--
In a realm outside causality and function

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

One thing is that at least they are stating it is E-911 as opposed to nomadic. Same thing, just I like the nomadic being cut out.

The Beer
Premium
Atlantic, IA
reply to Hilbe

said by Hilbe:

I believe they're doing the same thing as SR. On month-to-month plans it'll go into effect on your next monthly bill. On annual/prepaid plans it'll go into effect when you renew. Pretty straight forward...
Sorry I don't see it is that straight forward.

STRAIGHT FORWARD BRENDAN...

WILL CURRENT ANNUAL PLAN CUSTOMERS NEED TO PAY THESE NEW FEES WHILE IN THEIR CURRENT CONTRACT TERM?

montano

join:2001-04-29
Central Cali
reply to Aveamantium

So if you have an annual plan and decide to add a virtual number, you'll get charged $4/month for the VN plus $2.50/month in fees ? Ouch......

KLH

join:2001-09-24
Vincennes, IN

Virtual numbers don't have 911 access do they?
I wouldn't think that virtual numbers would have to pay the extra fees...

VTBrendan
Viatalk
Premium
join:2005-06-27
Clifton Park, NY
kudos:1
reply to The Beer

Hi,

Just to clarify, nothing is being changed for anyone's existing contracts.

-Brendan

The Beer
Premium
Atlantic, IA

And there we go, problem solved.

VTBrendan
Viatalk
Premium
Clifton Park, NY

Also,

Virtual numbers are not subject to these as they are not seperate lines. Basically, it only applies in situations where we are required to provide e-911 services.

-Brendan

CyberSultan
Premium

said by VTBrendan:

Also,

Virtual numbers are not subject to these as they are not seperate lines. Basically, it only applies in situations where we are required to provide e-911 services.

-Brendan
Hey Brendan. What about those that wish to extend their plan by another year when the sales happen? Are the fees going to be included in the price of the plan extensions? If not, how will that work with fees on just that year extension? Thanks.

hawgcaller

join:2006-04-24
Stafford, TX
reply to VTBrendan

said by VTBrendan:

Also,

-Brendan
So, why two seperate fees for 911 instead of just one fee of $2.50?

-phil

VTBrendan
Viatalk
Premium
Clifton Park, NY
reply to CyberSultan

Any extensions and plans added or renewed after the fees went into effect, will be subject to them. They are billed seperately from peoples regular invoice, and will be easily identifiable on invoices.

-Brendan

Aveamantium

join:2006-10-02
Loveland, CO
reply to Aveamantium

Thanks for the clarification Brendan!

CyberSultan
Premium
reply to VTBrendan

said by VTBrendan:

Any extensions and plans added or renewed after the fees went into effect, will be subject to them. They are billed seperately from peoples regular invoice, and will be easily identifiable on invoices.

-Brendan
So let's say I have a two year plan already under the old TOS and extend to a 3rd year under the new TOS. In what year would you bill monthly for the fees? During the 3rd year of service only?

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN

said by CyberSultan:

said by VTBrendan:

-Brendan
So let's say I have a two year plan already under the old TOS and extend to a 3rd year under the new TOS. In what year would you bill monthly for the fees? During the 3rd year of service only?
On the annual plans, they're not going to charge you any more than you already paid for existing service. If you elect to purchase additional years of service, then those prices will include the new fees. So for example, you shell out $199 for a year (or two!) and want to add on a year right now, it'll be $199 (or $99 for a special) + new fees to add that year on.

CyberSultan
Premium

said by Hilbe:

said by CyberSultan:

said by VTBrendan:

-Brendan
On the annual plans, they're not going to charge you any more than you already paid for existing service. If you elect to purchase additional years of service, then those prices will include the new fees. So for example, you shell out $199 for a year (or two!) and want to add on a year right now, it'll be $199 (or $99 for a special) + new fees to add that year on.
From what Brendan said, the fees for extensions will be billed separately. I don't think Brendan said extension prices will include the new fees. He said that those extensions will be subject to the fees.

The clarication of what I am looking for is whether this means the fees on a new year extension will be billed as a total fee at the time of purchase or be billed monthly against my credit card for that year extension. Brendan did not clearly say how this will be handled (unless I completely missed something here).

VTBrendan
Viatalk
Premium
Clifton Park, NY

Hi,

We're going to try to avoid billing the extra fees up front, becase several of them are for costs that we don't incur until service is rendered, and it would complicate things with our refund policy. For example, we have the 50% cancellation policy to allow us to offer deep discounts on longer term contracts, but we don't want to be keeping 50% of a prepaid 911 fee as that is seperate from our regular service.

-Brendan

CyberSultan
Premium

said by VTBrendan:

Hi,

We're going to try to avoid billing the extra fees up front, becase several of them are for costs that we don't incur until service is rendered, and it would complicate things with our refund policy. For example, we have the 50% cancellation policy to allow us to offer deep discounts on longer term contracts, but we don't want to be keeping 50% of a prepaid 911 fee as that is seperate from our regular service.

-Brendan
Thanks for the info.

So going back to my previous example, let's say I already purchased 2 years on a previous sale prior to this change in the TOS (let's say that plan ends 9/1/2008), I would not be charged fees on those two years.

Now let's say I purchased a year extension today under the new TOS. My new billing date would be extended to 9/1/2009. When would I be billed the extra fees for that year extension? Would you bill the monthly fees starting 9/1/2008 (because that is when my previous fee-exempt 2-year plan ended)?

nycityny
Premium
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY
reply to B

said by B:

I guess everyone's playing this new game and nobody's willing to state "Bottom-Line Pricing (SM)" any more...

Not everybody's playing this game. VoicePulse still gives bottom-line pricing.

informpage
Never Be Satisfied

join:2003-07-09
Forest Hills, NY

And I was just about to change my girlfriend over to ViaTalk from Vonage, but one of her main gripes was "all the extra taxes" - guess I'll look around for both of us. Good luck with your bogus taxes ViaTalk.

CyberSultan
Premium

1 edit

Extra fees are always a turn-off. Especially since we all have experience with companies that charge extra fees and have a tendency of periodically raising those fees to increase their bottom-line. It's too much of a temptation for them. I will always feel safer going with a company knowing I paid one price...and that's it. No extra surprises along the way.

All of this could really backfire on those companies that handle this the wrong way. It doesn't take much to turn people off when there are so many other choices out there.

Hack The Planet
Premium
join:2006-08-28
Plattsburgh, NY
reply to Aveamantium

No offense but does anyone else get a little annoyed when people start bitching about an extra 18.00 Really, take you family out to one less fatty meal at McDonalds. Or if your poor ask for an increase in food stamps? Suck it up to a loss and be grate full you not paying 40+ to Verizon!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to informpage

said by informpage:

And I was just about to change my girlfriend over to ViaTalk from Vonage, but one of her main gripes was "all the extra taxes" - guess I'll look around for both of us. Good luck with your bogus taxes ViaTalk.
What taxes do you see? I see the E-911 and the Recovery Fee..
--
Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org/index.htm
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_spa···_monster

CyberSultan
Premium

3 edits
reply to 44402812

said by 44402812:

No offense but does anyone else get a little annoyed when people start bitching about an extra 18.00 Really, take you family out to one less fatty meal at McDonalds. Or if your poor ask for an increase in food stamps? Suck it up to a loss and be grate full you not paying 40+ to Verizon!
Curious - So until a service reaches the $40+ price, people should be o.k. with paying more? Sounds like Ma Bell has conditioned people well with regards to fees.

We'll just have to see what all the companies do with this one and how it affects new subscriptions.

Edit: BTW, it's actually $30 extra per year in fees, for now.

fareal

join:2005-10-05
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to 44402812

said by 44402812:

Actually I get more annoyed when people say things like the above. It's only $$.$$, skip that cup of coffee, brown bag your lunch, etc etc. But when there are increases of only $$.$$ from my phone provider, tv provider, water provider, electricity provider, gas provider, health ins provider, car insurance provider, etc etc, it all adds up. Not many more meals I can brown-bag, drinks I can skip, etc etc to make up for it. Yeah, it's life, but doesn't mean we have to enjoy all the increases. Least we can do is complain in forums such as these

Regarding VT specifically though, this increase hasn't bothered me yet, perhaps because I won't see it for another two years or so. But come two years, I'll be back in this thread complaining