Search similar:

uniqs
Larenda
join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON

Larenda

Dumping Zonealarm

Hi All,

I have decided to get rid of Zonealarm. I have been loyal to them for years but recently I have had nothing but problems. With that said I am looking for a free secure leak-proof firewall.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
L

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

I would suggest Kerio 2.1.5 - learning curve is a bit steeper, but it has a much smaller footprint than ZA. It is a firewall and nothing else, unlike some other apps which try to throw in the kitchen sink.

Kerio also has its own dedicated forum here.

CJ30
join:2000-07-18
USA

CJ30 to Larenda

to Larenda
Easy search turned up this for your reading pleasure and should be quite helpful in your decision.
»[POLL] Personal Firewalls - 2006 Member Choice

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to Larenda

Premium Member

to Larenda
Easy to use Firewalls Comodo or find an old version of Sygate. Otherwise if you know whay your doing Kerio 2.15 is an excellent choice.

PS32
join:2004-01-28

PS32 to Larenda

to Larenda
I have recently changed from Zonealarm to Sygate Personal Firewall Pro does good job!

psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Australia

psicop to Larenda

Premium Member

to Larenda
Comodo and Sygate are valid options. However, there is an issue with Sygate and the use of a local proxy which creates a loopback hole and as a result the FW loses its outbound protection. If you don't run a proxy then it should be fine.

If you don't care about outbound protection then use Windows in-built firewall and install System Safety Monitor, Process Guard or Win Patrol. If you dislike this firewall but are keen to use a System monitoring application other firewalls without outbound protection but with a better inbound base are:

1. GhostWall
2. CHX-I

Regards.
Larenda
join:2002-03-19
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

Larenda

Hi All,

Thank you all for the suggestions. After doing some more digging I came upon this site. »www.firewallleaktester.c ··· view.php
sivron, I will look into Kerio but after reading the leak tests I think I will go with gesc and gugarci suggestion for Comodo. It ranted high in the leaktests.
cestepp, thank you for the link to the Poll.
gesc, I am not behind a proxy but I like to know what is going on outbound, so I have never used windows firewall.
Thanks again for all the help
L

psicop
More human than human
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Australia

psicop

Premium Member

Many things connect to the outside and that includes Trojan Horses phoning home and downloading lots of spyware and viruses if you ever happen to have one installed. Personally, I believe that if the user is not really advanced then a third party firewall with outbound protection is more convenient. However, even if you are not advanced but you have lots of time to kill and are keen to learn, then use Windows XP FW and install System Safety Monitor (for example) and practice until you master Windows.

Hutchy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-14
australia430

Hutchy to Larenda

Premium Member

to Larenda
I recently Dumped ZAPSS and know run Kerio 4 and a Hardware Firewall. I haven't had any problems at all.

The main Reason I dumped ZAPSS was because of its memory usage.