spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotComcastic

@comcast.net

Comcast Screws Basic Cable Subscribers

So yesterday I went to the channel guide to see what was on and I was greeted by a blue screen that reads:

TV Guide Network
has moved to Comcast
digital service.

Call Comcast at
1-800-COMCAST
for details on how to
upgrade to digital service.

What?! No channel guide?
For a company earning record profits this is a greedy manipulative move designed to 'force' people to upgrade to a more expensive service.

I was feeling good about Comcast until yesterday. I enjoy my basic plus cable and my high speed connection. Now I hate them again.

If Comcast manipulates customers like this suddenly Net Neutrality becomes more important than ever. Do the math. If some greedy executive decides to put money over service then there will be no stopping them.

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

So what will you do in a couple years when ALL cable operators will be FORCED by the government to go ALL digital ??????????
Yes that means a BOX on every TV that you want to recieve a picture on. Oh and yes it give the company the ability to wire tap your phone , transport streaming video to the FBI (via the cameras in every box) and also watch the way you relax on your TV in longire and workboots.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

said by Phugg:

relax on your TV in longire and workboots.
WTFBBQTINYCAMERAINMYBOX!YOUSPIES!
--
CableFAQ.org

|_CableFAQ forum

L Supreme
Premium
join:2004-06-05
Lowell, MA

Your lucky to have it for so long. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those ancient things. I remember the joys of turning to the TV Guide channel in time to just miss my channel & waste 2-3 mins for it to come back. *sigh* Those were the days.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to NotComcastic

use the channel lineup in the moring paper if you need, like back in the day....oh wait that cost .35 an issue....never mind....

Barovelli

join:2002-04-03
reply to NotComcastic

You've got cable modem, go to tvplanner.net. Get with the times, analog cable is shrinking . . .
--
To get back on your feet, miss two car payments.

HDTVSam007

join:2006-10-25
Mishawaka, IN
reply to NotComcastic

I have a HDTV with HD DVR MOTO DCT6412 plus a DVR on my PC using "Yahoo Go For Tv" for my EPG on there but in my bedroom I have a small little 20" with no EPG and I haven't checked it for this issue yet.I agree they`re railroading customers into a more expensive package!They also will not turn on the premium channels such as the HBO east and Cinemax east and some other premium channel and they list it on the ch card?

bcunningh

join:2005-04-01
Seattle, WA
reply to NotComcastic

I'm assuming you are in WA State because this is just happening recently here.

Now, you do know that Enhanced Cable is only $! more than what you're paying for Basic.

For your $1/month or $0.03/day you get 100% digital quality, digital music, OnDemand, an Interactive Programming Guide, oh and yeah, the TV Guide channel, too.

Georgiaboy8

join:2005-06-25
Savannah, GA

said by bcunningh:

I'm assuming you are in WA State because this is just happening recently here.

Now, you do know that Enhanced Cable is only $! more than what you're paying for Basic.

For your $1/month or $0.03/day you get 100% digital quality, digital music, OnDemand, an Interactive Programming Guide, oh and yeah, the TV Guide channel, too.
Let me ask this, why is it that some markets have TV Guide Network only on the digital tier? And do you still receive the local version or the one DTV has(national with not grid listings at the bottom)?

Is the purpose to increase digital penetration?

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Georgiaboy8:

Let me ask this, why is it that some markets have TV Guide Network only on the digital tier? And do you still receive the local version or the one DTV has(national with not grid listings at the bottom)?

Is the purpose to increase digital penetration?
IMO, it doesn't make any sense to have tv guide network on the digital tier, as the box has tv listings that are actually useful. Besides the listings, there is a negligible amount of useful content on the station. All examples that I have seen carry the local version of the listings.

One purpose may well be to increase digital penetration, but when you think about it, those sorts of channels have really outlived their usefulness. Back when there were only 30-40 channels a scrolling guide made sense, but with so many ways to get listings at no additional cost it probably makes sense to free up bandwidth for something people actually watch. For those without internet access, newspaper subscriptions, or access to those free tv listing mags available at many supermarkets, the loss of this channel is a valid complaint, however.

In my area, the scrolling guide has been gone for at least 5 years.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

So what will you do in a couple years when ALL cable operators will be FORCED by the government to go ALL digital ??????????
Nothing, since the government isn't forcing the cable operators to do anything. They can have analog channels for 20 more years if they want to.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to PaulHikeS2

said by PaulHikeS2:

In my area, the scrolling guide has been gone for at least 5 years.
Same here, and good riddance. It scrolled too slow and was a waste of bandwidth. I wish they'd take some more pointless analog off so we can finally get a half decent HD lineup. Who needs a TV guide channel when the Cable Box guide is at YOUR control, not the mercy of a slow scrolling guide. Plus there's the internet and magazines at the store for you non digital subs. You don't have to subscribe to digital classic just to have a box either. You can get a box with your regular 70+ channel lineup, plus get the bonuses of an on screen guide, on demand access (many which is free) and a few free in the clear channels in the 100+'s.

patspub

join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA
reply to NotComcastic

Where are you located??? By the way I believe they also did this in Bensalem, PA. Can anyone confirm this who lives there.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

So what will you do in a couple years when ALL cable operators will be FORCED by the government to go ALL digital ?????????
Sorry, you are wrong on that. CATV companies are not being forced by the Gov't to go completly digital. It is more cost effective for the CATV companies to go all Digital, due to they can fit more channels into the bandwith of one channel, but only two HDTV in the same as one Analog.

This has been discussed extensively.
--
I threw out the map a long time ago. Now I follow my own direction!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

Yeah Analog's not going away completely, I think eventually Cable will just offer less and less analog. It will probably be much like Verizon Fios, where the first 30 channels are so are available in analog, but a digital box will pull in the simulcast of those plus everything else. That way they still can 'compete' with Satellite and OTA saying you don't need a box for basic service on non-digital TVs

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

reply to NotComcastic

Yeah, Progress and inovation SUCK. Especially when it inconveniences people.
DAM I wish I could still watch 2 stations in black and white on a 12 inch screen.
Ahh the good ole days..

"'Nother Martini Ethel... and fetch my sweater vest, its chilly!"
--
CableFAQ.org

|_CableFAQ forum

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to NotComcastic

said by NotComcastic :

If Comcast manipulates customers likethis suddenly Net Neutrality becomes more important than ever.
Another child left behind... what does this co-called net neutrality (which is not existant even now) have to do with video? Television is anything but neutral.

Based on the 1st amendment, I really doubt you will ever see government in control of what we see and where.
--
"Wipe out the national deficit over night... Tax the stupid!" - about 50 gMail invites available. PM if you'd like one.

dsf72

join:2005-09-20
Watertown, MA
reply to Greg_Z

The FCC is making all cable companies be digital but there will be tv's with a digital tuners in theem by this time so people still will not be forced to have a box

PaulHikeS2

Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dsf72:

The FCC is making all cable companies be digital but there will be tv's with a digital tuners in theem by this time so people still will not be forced to have a box
Please, enough with the misinformation. PLEASE do not post incorrect information about subjects you know nothing about.
--

Georgiaboy8

join:2005-06-25
Savannah, GA
reply to dsf72

said by dsf72:

Only "Broadcast Networks" will have to "broadcast" in digital. You know, those cable of being received OTA. Cable companies can still downconvert these to analog using analog converter boxes. This has nothing to do with cable companies, though it is, to an extent, a cable companies best interest to phase out analog.

Phugg

Riverbank, CA
reply to NotComcastic

Hey Paul

»www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

Its called knowledge .... and I wont go into the bashing I had planned ....

but just for Cable Tool ... lingere and Combat boots .

gsdgds

@comcast.net
reply to NotComcastic

cable companies are not being forced to go all digital. In fact it's the oposite if anything. The cable companies MUST carry certain analogs and can't go all digital if they wanted to.

So much misinformation on this site

PaulHikeS2

Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

Hey Paul

I'm very familiar with the switch to digital. Here is the only area in the document you posted that covers cable tv:

"Cable subscribers may need new DTV equipment to view DTV programming in digital format. You should ask your cable provider what you will need and when.

Cable subscribers may buy a “Digital Cable Ready” (DCR) or “Plug-and-Play” television that plugs directly into the cable jack and does not require a separate set-top box. In order to receive scrambled programming and premium one-way services, cable subscribers with a DCR TV will need to obtain a CableCARD from their cable company.

Alternatively, cable subscribers may lease a separate set-top box from their cable provider or buy one at a retail outlet."

Note in the first sentence that it says MAY instead of MUST. The FCC mandate only covers over the air broadcasts. Cable companies are switching many channels to digital by their own choice to free up bandwidth and to improve quality, but all indications are that analog cable tv will be around long after the DTV transition in 2009.
--

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to Phugg

said by Phugg:

Hey Paul

Go ahead, it may be fun to watch, if you don't mind looking foolish.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Georgiaboy8

However, one known side-effect of the disappearance of analog OTA is the demotion of analog of any sort. FACT: more and more PEG channels in Comcast-served areas are being sent as digital (not analog) signals, especially in ADS areas such as Prince George's County, Maryland (my own home county). FACT: Scripps-Howard Cable Networks (one of the largest non-sports basic/expanded-cable programming sources, and the owners of Food Network, DIY, HGTV, etc.) will be going all-HD/all-digital by 2010. FACT: While availability of CableCARD support in new TV models has actually *dropped* in 2006 vs. 2005 (the first year that has occurred), the number of new TV models supporting HDMI (and the number of HDMI outlets per TV) has gone up in 2006 (again, vs. 2005). Case in point: Hitachi has actually *standardized* on three HDMI outlets in *all* of their FPTV models. FACT: Sales of non-CRT TVs have come their closest to beating CRT TV sales in 2006, led by dropping prices for FPTVs of all types (especially LCD, plasma, and DLP screentypes), and, in fact, are on pace to outstrip CRT TV sales in 2007 (two years ahead of schedule). (Source: Gartner Group and the CEA.)
Analog (as a delivery medium) is about to die. The FCC and NAB know it, and so do the cable and satellite companies. Even the CEA has gotten a clue. To think otherwise is to stick your head in the sand.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to PaulHikeS2

That will only happen if their *customers* continue to demand analog retransmission. However, three separate (and unrelated) trends may actually accelerate the end of analog retransmission even of basic cable programming:

1. The entry of non-coaxial companies into competition with cable-TV incumbents (especially AT&T U-Verse and VZ FiOS TV).

2. The death of CRT TVs and their replacement with non-CRT product. Replacing older TVs with newer TVs invariably increases the features available to consumers; however, the biggest (and most prevalent) new feature appearing in non-CRT TVs today isn't DCR (that and CableCARD are actually in fewer TVs this year compared to 2005), but HDMI. HDMI support in sub-$1,000 TVs (especially non-CRT TVs) has gone from "almost unheard-of" to "standard fare". Except for the most basic digital-cable STBs, most STBs (cable, satellite, and IPTV) support HDMI-out. This support will only increase.

3. The ubiquity of the STB. One reason that DCR (and CableCARDs) have largely flopped is that they are one-way devices that don't support VOD (which the cable companies in general, and Comcast in particular, have been pushing with a vengeance). Also, STB lease rates will only continue to drop as the sheer number of STBs increases.

gower23528

join:2005-06-08
Weston, WV
reply to NotComcastic

You might be able to upgrade to enhanced cable for only $2.00 more per month.

Phugg

Riverbank, CA
reply to NotComcastic

I know when to call it. Its not a flame war. The point is taken. In the end though all cable will be digital in the next 10-15 years. Thats just a fact of life in the tech world. So for now I am wrong. No skin off my back, I'm a paying customer just like y'all, just I could be getting it all free if I lived in a Comcast system.

mercuryx8

join:2002-06-21
Geneva, IL

1 edit
reply to CableTool

Yeah, Progress and inovation SUCK. Especially when it inconveniences people.
DAM I wish I could still watch 2 stations in black and white on a 12 inch screen.
Ahh the good ole days..

--

Perhaps not everyone can afford the inflated pricing for digital cable?

---

Comcast periodically reviews and adjusts prices to ensure they best reflect the value of the products and services customers receive. Below are monthly price changes that take effect with January 2007 bills. There is no change to High-Speed Internet or Digital Voice pricing.

Standard Cable (Basic & Exp. Basic) increases from $49.99 to $52.49; HDTV Equip. from $5 to $7; Digital Classic & DVR Service from $9.99 to $11.99 each; Digital Premier & Digital Sports from $5 to $5.99 each; CableCARDS will be $1.50 each.

If you are receiving Comcast services under a promotional offer, the new prices will apply when your promotion ends. We appreciate your business--thank you for choosing Comcast.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.