how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

titan_

join:2006-10-26
Canada

[Equipment] D-Link VTA: serial port console

Inspired by rcilink See Profile's recent post »Re: [General] DLink VTA-VR, I thought I'd try to get access to the D-Link VTA-VR's serial port. I haven't seen any detailed instructions on this yet.

There is a five-pin header, JF1, on my VTA which I'm assuming has (at least) the RS-232 lines RX (receive), TX (send), and GND (0v). Let's number the pins from left to right, such that pin 4 is the absent one (NC). Here's my first guess at a pinout, based on following traces and crudely measuring voltage fluctuation with a voltmeter during bootup:

1. TX
2. GND
3. I see no traces touching this, but I read 3.3V
4. NC
5. RX

I'll test this as soon as I can locate a Prolific serial-to-USB adapter that converts 3.3v into the usual 12v for the PC.

Anyone have any success with this?

rcilink
Premium
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH
I have the pinout at home. I will post it tonight.

It works nicely with a 3.3v MAX232 chip.. I have ordered this from:

»www.compsys1.com/workbench/Bench···ers.html

Get part # A232DBH3v

This will give you a DB9 Serial plug that will convert to the inline console on the device.

I have been able to use this with many of these VoIP endpoints. Some do not have the serial port enabled (the RT31P2 is one I tried.).

I will post the chart of the ones I discovered so-far. Important to point out. The pinout for the D-Link VTA is NOT the same as the Linksys devices. Also, they use different baud rates.

The bootloader of the D-Link VTA-VR is not locked. That is, once you get your serial cable hooked up, power it up and you will be able to hit ESC to get into the "PSP boot" bootloader. From here, you can load-in new firmware, change partition info, etc. This is vital if you plan to do any firmware testing.

Hope this helps..

boogerman69

join:2006-09-28
Newport, MI
reply to titan_
hmm.. I have about 10 MAX232's at home. I also notice that Vtech IP8100 has a serial interface inside it.
I would like to access that one.

rcilink
Premium
Manchester, NH
I do not have the Vtech device, so I encourage you to verify pinout using a multimeter and measure voltages.

Once that is done, the same cable (or similar design if you make your own) should work.

Some key things the serial console gives you:

• Access to the bootloader (PSP or ADAM)
• Shell access (you will have to login with Admin passwd)
• Serious DEBUG info - worth it if something is not working
• A good way to de-brick the box if you load a bad firmware

boogerman69

join:2006-09-28
Newport, MI
reply to titan_
It actually has the rx and tx marked on the mainboard. The connector is the same as a 4 pin mail CD ROM audio cable connection. Simple enough. Unfortunately, I don't have the base in front of me right now or I would tackle it this afternoon.

rcilink
Premium
Manchester, NH
reply to titan_

Serial Console pinouts for some of these devices

VTA-VR uses 38400 baud. (N,8,1)

My connections to the pins are marked by color, but you will see the idea:

For all the pinouts below, Pin 1 is the left-most pin if you are facing the front of the device.

DLINK VTA-VR
•pin 1 ... rcv (green wire)
•pin 2 ... GND (white1 wire)
•pin 3 ... 3.3v (white2 wire)
•pin 4 ... n/c
•pin 5 ... xmt (red wire)
-----------------------------
LINKSYS PAP2 V2.0
•pin 1 ... 3.3v (white2 wire)
•pin 2 ... xmt (red wire)
•pin 3 ... rcv (green wire)
•pin 4 ... n/c
•pin 5 ... GND (white1 wire)
MOTOROLA VT1005v (VxWorks)
•pin 1 ... 3.3v (white2 wire)
•pin 2 ... GND (white1 wire)
•pin 3 ... xmt (red wire)
•pin 4 ... rcv (green wire)

* As you can see, these pinouts are very different between each device! If you are unsure, check for +3.3v DC on the pin listed above to verify proper pinout. You can really trash your device if you get this wrong.

For some reason, I did not write down the Motorola VT2142 pinout. When I find it, I will add it here.

meister_sd
Premium
join:2006-01-29
La Mesa, CA
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to titan_

Re: [Equipment] D-Link VTA: serial port console

IP8100
Pin order is Left to Right
LEDs to the right and NICs to the left
# pin 1 ... TX