uniqs

Manatrite
Shattered Reflection
join:2003-03-02
Canada

Manatrite to 2WireGuy

to 2WireGuy

Re: Telus High Speed Extreme 6.0

Try getting the Thomson modems. Be very persuasive to the techs or CSR/TSR. Tell us if that fixes the mysterious speed problems.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
join:2006-11-08
Vancouver, BC

GaiaChaos to 2WireGuy

to 2WireGuy
ADSL high speeds such as 5.0 Mbps are easily attainable, especially in an ADSL2+ port (theoretical maximum is 24.0 Mbps / 1.0 Mbps). Shaw cable from what I've heard also uses a traffic shaping software to contain P2P prog users.

There is really nothing you can do about it at this point. Once Telus upgrades their bandwidth (3 years later?), then expect the bandwidth throttling to ease a little. However, that doesn't mean it will completely cease. Even in Japan where 47.0 Mbps / 5.0 Mbps ADSL is offered, these ISPs shape traffic during peak hours. From my experience, that might explain why I noticed MANY of them stay up so late in order to download large files.

SSX1212
@telus.net

1 recommendation

SSX1212

Anon

Well i picked up Telus's 2Wire modem. Speed is great, much improved now that i have an ADSL2+ compatible modem.

I set it up so my comp uses a public IP through the router... seems to get alot of connection breaking that way... have to disable/enable my adapter to get it going again.... now im using a private IP and seems to be fine.

Very happy now!!! 2 hours at these speeds.

Upload is a little low, my kid is on our other comp though.

Lakebottom
Future Fishermen are Friendly
join:2006-10-28
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom

Looking pretty good there! The upload still is sub par. Have you tried syncing the modem to the CO. Try the diagnostic test a few times on the 2wire, you maybe able to train the modem a bit.

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

It's 9:30pm PST. Did the test thing on the 2Wire, no go. Speed is getting worst.

Lakebottom
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom

Try running the diagnostic program on the 2wire and see if you have any change. I suspect you may have a flaky gateway(intermittent).

My last test

Download Speed: 2794 kbps (349.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 646 kbps (80.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

to San Fran.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
Vancouver, BC

GaiaChaos

I highly doubt it's the gateway else he will not be able to properly connect to the internet.

I'm precisely having the same problem, but traceroute to mytelus.com shows gateway is normal.

k9snifferxx3
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

1 edit

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

Can you please post a copy of the trace route.

curiosity is killing this cat .

That would be great.

Thanks

Joshb

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

It's just past 11pm PST.

My upload is unusually high now.

Tracert is fine, only took 8 hops to get to www.mytelus.com, response was 35 ms to 51 ms.

Had the fun of using the eCare online chat support software. Thought I'd give it a try, figured, might as well install the CD, nothing else seems to work. Man that thing is annoying and the person on the other end wasn't able to help, nothing he could have done, said I had to call tech support. Well, eCare is being removed as I write this. Probably useful for novice users, though.

Contacted tech support via phone this time. After doing the usual, rebooting computer/2Wire, clearing cache files, asked if I had a virus, and some further fun with downloading the 8 Meg file, was advised there's an outage in my area? Hopefully it's just an outage, maybe they're upgrading my neighborhood for full blown ADSL2+ rollout for later, who knows.

Anyway, outage is supposed to be done in 4 hours, which would make it 3am PST. If I'm still up, I'll do a speed test, otherwise will report back tomorrow morning/afternoon.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
Vancouver, BC

GaiaChaos

said by 2WireGuy :

Contacted tech support via phone this time. After doing the usual, rebooting computer/2Wire, clearing cache files, asked if I had a virus, and some further fun with downloading the 8 Meg file, was advised there's an outage in my area? Hopefully it's just an outage, maybe they're upgrading my neighborhood for full blown ADSL2+ rollout for later, who knows.

Anyway, outage is supposed to be done in 4 hours, which would make it 3am PST. If I'm still up, I'll do a speed test, otherwise will report back tomorrow morning/afternoon.
Outage --> That's nonsense. The outage would have wiped out the entire internet connection (i.e. an outage would mean the network is OFFLINE). Funny enough, the CSRs said the same thing to my friends...a few weeks ago.

SSX1212
@telus.net

SSX1212 to 2WireGuy

Anon

to 2WireGuy
said by 2WireGuy :

It's just past 11pm PST.

My upload is unusually high now.

Tracert is fine, only took 8 hops to get to www.mytelus.com, response was 35 ms to 51 ms.

I can remember getting low speeds on my enhanced line, and figured everything was fine on my end ... i too figured it was telus at that time but decided to try uninstalling my network adapter from device manager... it actually worked (reload the drivers, or look for updates)! Is worth a shot, we always think of routers/modems/ISP as the problem...id give it a try.

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

Well, it's just past 12:30am PST.

I have 2 Ethernet ports on my motherboard with 2 different drivers, it's probably not the Ethernet ports, I think there's something going on at Telus' side. I didn't do anything and the speed went up to 4 Mbps. But I'll see if there are newer Marvel Yukon/nForce4 drivers out there.
2WireGuy

2WireGuy

Anon

It's just past 1:30am PST :

Just wanted to update that I think it's back. I'm getting 600-615 KB/s via FTP now. But no 5120 kbps this time like I got in the afternoon, do you think those CSR's could have messed up my setup, or should I wait and see again tomorrow afternoon? Is it even worth the effort to request they try and get me 5100 kbps vs 5000 kpbs, (~12.5-14.5 KB/s difference)?

SSX1212
@telus.net

SSX1212

Anon

said by 2WireGuy :

It's just past 1:30am PST :

Just wanted to update that I think it's back. I'm getting 600-615 KB/s via FTP now. But no 5120 kbps this time like I got in the afternoon, do you think those CSR's could have messed up my setup, or should I wait and see again tomorrow afternoon? Is it even worth the effort to request they try and get me 5100 kbps vs 5000 kpbs, (~12.5-14.5 KB/s difference)?
I have averaged 5100 all day, am quite happy with it... as i was only getting 2300 on the 3.0 so it seems a little more closer to the cap percantage wise on extreme.I am happy holding these speeds! Hope yours stays there too:)

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

Are you still pulling in 5100 kbps? I'm still only getting 4980 kbps now... maybe I shouldn't have called the CSR's...
2WireGuy

2WireGuy

Anon

Wierd, I just pulled the power plug on the 2Wire, plugged it back in, and now my speed is consistently at 5060 kbps. Coincidence? I did 5-6 tests just to make sure, it's now between 5060-5070 kbps. I think I'm good, happy camper again, it's almost 3am PST, time to sleep and worry about it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback guys.

SSX1212
@telus.net

SSX1212

Anon

bed time ,,, back to work at 5pm speed is same, better uplaod now

2WireGuy
@telus.net

1 recommendation

2WireGuy

Anon

Well, it's 11:30am PST, and I'm getting 4760, gave them a call, rep mentioned outage/repairs last night was finished this morning. But my speed still hasn't improved, they're gonna look into this. I'm hoping they can pull through this time so I don't have to keep calling them.

Lakebottom
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom

Download Speed: 2793 kbps (349.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)

to Washington

1:32pm mst

The service was dropping off a few hours ago, but its back up and the trading day is still open.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
Vancouver, BC

GaiaChaos to 2WireGuy

to 2WireGuy
I'll call the CSR tonight, and post my findings here.

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

Much appreciated. It's just past 8pm PST now. I think there's another 'outage' tonite, getting 1100-1600 kbps average now. It's wierd and won't show on speedtest screen shots, the needle at speedtest.net goes up to 1600 kbps, then wiggles down to 1100 kbps, then you see it struggling up and down, eventually reaching to 1600 kbps. Nothing has changed on my end. What the heck is Telus doing? Same results at speakeasy speed test, and with Telus's own server, speedtest.telushosting.com, it shots up to 180 KB/s, then fluxuates down between 106-155 KB/s.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
Vancouver, BC

GaiaChaos

Sorry, man. I couldn't get through the line. I'll try again another time. But I'm 100% sure it's bandwidth throttling. You're not alone, though. Many ADSL users have this problem as well. I even performed all the diagnostics myself.

I'm very surprised no one else here has any knowledge about how bandwidth throttling works.

2WireGuy
@telus.net

2WireGuy

Anon

Thanks for trying. Would be nice to find out for sure. Will report back if anything changes.

Lakebottom
Sylvan Lake, AB

Lakebottom to GaiaChaos

to GaiaChaos
today's test
Last Result:
Download Speed: 2793 kbps (349.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 643 kbps (80.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

last nights test was removed....I smell censorship.
Lakebottom

Lakebottom

The slow test data was in another thread, I apologize to the moderator and all other associates. I did call Telus yesterday about the 6.0 service and a billing issue. The billing issue was creative accounting which worked out in my favor but makes absolutely no sense to the customer. The CSR could not explain the entries and said 'that's just the way we do it'.....OK I won't ask again (shaking my head).
I then asked about the 6.0 service for my home. I was told its not yet in the area and that I would receive a letter when it was available with my bill. I told her I don't get a paper bill, she said don't worry you'll get a letter when its available....Ok I won't ask (shaking my head...again). The woman also stated that all of Alberta should be finnished early in the New Year. I am speculating that this will be some time in January.
Given the dramatic drop in though put at night, I think they are upgrading very close to me, hopefully. I know there is only one CO in my town, given its small size. I am sure they could upgrade the whole town in one day/night if its simply a matter of changing out a few boxes in a small office. The implementation is out of my control, so I'll just wait. I have had a note posted to my account requesting the service, but I don't know if this will drive the conversion any faster. In most businesses if the customer base is established before the product is built it drives production all the way from the top of the management chain. How this works in broadband implementation I haven't a clue. It must have some statistical basis for the fan out to maximize profits, thus having the most densely populated areas converted first, such as the greater Vancouver area and Calgary. I would attempt this differently, but I don't have a voice in these decisions.
green16
join:2006-11-03
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

green16

unfortunately, with the upgrades for ADSL2+, it's not simply a matter of putting the equipment in the one CO, with the increased speeds come decreased distance, so while CO based ADSL2+ ports do account for some of the new ports being installed, it isn't all of them, to cover the whole town, they will probably need to install field based units as well, (installed at the cross connect box (big green box on the side of the road)) I can't speak for sylvan lake specifically, but I do know that TELUS is in the process of doing major network upgrades to facilitate all of this, however some patience is required.
Kilumnati
join:2006-11-09
CANADA

Kilumnati

why isnt this available in south east vancouver..

NotoriousJTC
@telus.net

NotoriousJTC to bokchoy2

Anon

to bokchoy2
Any idea on when Richmond can expect the 1.5 to 3.0 speed increase?

siberx4
Bandwidth hog
join:2004-10-19
West Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

siberx4 to bokchoy2

to bokchoy2
*Finally* had my 6.0 activate - it took almost exactly a week and 4 phone calls total to get telus to figure it out and get me switched over properly (turns out they had switched me from a dmt2 port to another dmt2 port instead of to an ADSL2+ one)

Anyways, it's working great now - getting about 5150/660 with a 2wire - and I have a thomson coming in in a few days to swap it out to see how it compares and so I don't have to deal with their stupid routermodemwifiaccesspointfirewall box thing.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79 to NotoriousJTC

Premium Member

to NotoriousJTC
the 3.0 plan is available anywhere adsl is available... the 6.0 plan is the one that isn't available everywhere yet.