uniqs

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
join:2006-04-01
USA

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

How to rollback FireFox

At least with IE 7 if you don't like it and you want to rollback to IE 6 for whatever reason you easily can do so.

But what about FireFox. I am having problems with version 2.0 that I don't like and can't fix.

So how can I roll back to or install the last version of 1.5x?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Did you try Add/Remove progs? If no luck
delete the folder you installed it to and in either case the profile folder
»www.mozilla.org/support/ ··· e#locate

Cudni
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

to Jedi Writer2
Uninstall 2.0, reinstall 1.5.......

In some cases the profile information changed so you would want to move your old information, and copy back things like your bookmarks/etc....

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2 to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your reply, (thanks for posting by the way.)

I want to rollback to Firefox version 1.5x. But with Firefox the add/remove program simply deletes your existing Firefox version--it does not roll back to the previous version as does IE.

It seems at this point you take the latest version or none at all--but maybe I just need educating. Wouldn't be the first time.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

No, i misunderstood your question

You can't roll-back FF like you can IE

Cudni

photobum
join:2005-11-04
Fairborn, OH

1 edit

photobum to Jedi Writer2

to Jedi Writer2
said by Jedi Writer2:

I am having problems with version 2.0 that I don't like and can't fix.
If you're having "problems", save your old profile, and just start over.
»kb.mozillazine.org/Profi ··· _Manager
»kb.mozillazine.org/Profi ··· upted.3F
»kb.mozillazine.org/Migra ··· _profile

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

Let me rephrase:

I want firefox 2.0 gone and out of my computer. I want FireFox 1.5x back in its place along with all my bookmarks saved.

I don't want to "fix" 2.0 as it either can't be fixed due to technical limitations or because of my lack of knowledge, understanding, and maybe even patience.

thewolfman
join:2003-04-03
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman

What is the issue?

Photobum provided everything you need to do that, uninstall FF 2.0 and reinstall FF 1.5. Everything to do that is included in the links that photobum provided for you. Do you want someone to come over and physically do it for you?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, seems to be going around..........

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

said by thewolfman:

What is the issue?

...Do you want someone to come over and physically do it for you?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, seems to be going around..........
There was a lot of information in the three links that provided by photobum. A whole lot! Pages and pages and thousand of words and hundreds of directions that include many terms and instructions that I do not understand and I am sure includes much information that has nothing to do with what I ask—I am just unable to decipher the linked info to understand that linked which is relevant to my question to rollback 2.0 to 1.5 with my bookmarks intact.

Now let me be very clear. I GENUINELY APPRECIATE his taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I also appreciate the obvious tone of goodwill in his response. And I recognize my technical and intellectual shortcomings plus some visual including those that are relevant to the issue I raise. Also I am not helped by some neurological visual limitations I have that make the linked information even more difficult to decipher. But that is my problem. I am not just complaining. Just informing!

Now Wolfman, since you are clearly by the tone of your post such a nice guy and by your post’s content clearly all knowing with nothing to do with you time, yeah, why don’t you come over and do it for me. If the situation were reversed I would do it for you. And with a smile!

And once again—photobum thanks for trying to help me! I wish was more capable of taking advantage of your kind assistance. Maybe I will with more study still figure t out though. So all is not lost. It is the helpful attitude and knowledge of people like yours that make me really appreciate this site. So once again, thanks for your response. I really appreciated it.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

I think you're trying to make it tougher than it needs to be.

Download the 1.5.0.7 installer (or whatever version you want).
Go to Bookmarks - Organize Bookmarks of v. 2.0 and file - export them to a location of your choice. Copy your profile folder, which is in Documents and Settings/(you)/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles, to a location of your choice.
Now uninstall 2.0 thru A/R Programs. Then install the version of your choice. Then copy your backed-up profile folder over to Documents and Settings/(you)/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles. Then open the browser, go to Bookmarks - Manage Bookmarks - file - import
and navigate to your backed up bookmarks, if they are not already there.

Bingo, bango, bongo-- you're done.

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

Thanks AB.

However, when I look for "Firefox 1.5.0.7 installer" I am taken to a Mozilla/Firefox website that clearly identifies itself as version 1.5.0.7. It has lots of info about that version. But when I click on download it doesn't download 1.5.0.7 but jumps me to Mozilla's FireFox 2.0 download site and link.

It's just too complicated for me. I am strictly a go to add/remove programs and click on remove things like IE 7. Bingo it is gone. And in its place is IE 6 and with all the settings and bookmarks I had on IE 6.

I think I will just at the serious level leave it alone and play with it overtime. I can live with the issues in 2.0--flashplayer not working properly with the main page videos. If I really want to see the videos I can use IE 7.

All this talks of profiles documents and settings/me/application/data/mozilla/firefox/profiles and so on is currently just too much for me! LOL!

Heck I am the only person who uses on this machine. Why do they have to make it so complicated or more accurately involving so many steps and directions and a certain prior knowledge and competency level with software and commands, profiles etc? What profile. It is just me.

But hey man thanks for the friendly info.

photobum
Fairborn, OH

1 edit

photobum

Oracle, I'm guessing here, you never said what OS...so
»releases.mozilla.org/pub ··· 2/en-US/

thewolfman
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman to Jedi Writer2

to Jedi Writer2
So there is too much information for you?? I do not know everything, I was only trying to understand what you wanted. If Firefox is just too difficult for you, maybe IE7 is more up your alley. I would gladly do it for you, all you have to do is ask for help.

This is a public forum and people are only trying to help. Maybe you shouldn't be so defense?

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37

Premium Member

said by thewolfman:

So there is too much information for you?? I do not know everything, I was only trying to understand what you wanted. If Firefox is just too difficult for you, maybe IE7 is more up your alley. I would gladly do it for you, all you have to do is ask for help.

This is a public forum and people are only trying to help. Maybe you shouldn't be so defense?
Lighten up; the OP did not get defensive until you gave him/her a reason to do so.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

to Jedi Writer2
said by Jedi Writer2:

. . Why do they have to make it so complicated or more accurately involving so many steps and directions and a certain prior knowledge and competency level with software and commands, profiles etc? What profile. It is just me.
It's no more difficult or complicated than anything else you do on the computer. But suit yourself.
If you're interested, here is where you can download any version of Firefox that pleases you:

»www.oldversion.com/progr ··· =firefox

thewolfman
Niagara Falls, NY

thewolfman

said by AB57:
said by Jedi Writer2:

. . Why do they have to make it so complicated or more accurately involving so many steps and directions and a certain prior knowledge and competency level with software and commands, profiles etc? What profile. It is just me.
It's no more difficult or complicated than anything else you do on the computer. But suit yourself.
If you're interested, here is where you can download any version of Firefox that pleases you:

There you go.........

photobum
Fairborn, OH

photobum to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

Nice link... but everybody doesn't run Windows OS.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by photobum:

... but everybody doesn't run Windows OS.
After much thought and consideration, I have decided to be in agreement with that statement.

I've got a buck that says Jedi Writer2 See Profile does, though.

photobum
Fairborn, OH

photobum

said by AB57 See Profile

I've got a buck that says Jedi Writer2 See Profile does, though.
[/BQUOTE :

I agree.

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2 to thewolfman

Premium Member

to thewolfman
said by AB57:

Thanks for your patience and good natured repeated attempts to help and educate me. Your link was the ticket to what I wanted. Firefox 2.0 is now gone and version 1.5x is back.

By the way that is good multipurpose link for the future.

Sir Raleigh
MVM
join:2001-07-31
Raleigh, NC

Sir Raleigh

MVM

Oracle, I've been lurking in the background, not wanting to throw in any more confusion, but I would like to ask a question, if you don't mind?

I'm not going to try to talk you into going back to Fx 2.0, so don't worry about that, this is just out of my own curiosity.

If you could, would you please tell, as best as you can, what type(s) of problem(s) you had with version 2?

This information could be useful to others in the future.

If you'd rather not, that's okay, too.

Thanks.

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

After upgrading to 2.0 if I try to play the MSN video player from a video link on the MSNBC website main portal page the player loads and starts to play by beginning to unfold the MSN Butterfly symbol at which point it stops and freezes. If I click on any of the video links associated with the player's menu there is no response. BUT if I click on the upper right hand corner of the frame of the frozen video player where it says "Get more videos" it takes me to archived videos that if I click on them the MSN video player plays them. And if I expand the library selection if it includes any of the videos that were listed on the frozen MSN video player they play.

And yes I've downloaded Flashplayer 9 and installed it, uninstalled it and reinstalled it and so on to no effect.

All that changed was the upgrading to FireFox 2.0 which simultaneously coincided with the problem I've described.

I've since succesfully gone back to Firefox 1.5x but the same problem exists so I guess I can no longer lay the blame at the feet of FireFox.

By the way I really like FireFox. My only compmlaint about it in the past was it seemed like they were upgrading it every two weeks which required new plug-ins or extensions which was a hassle. They could make the upgrade a lot easier and user friendly IMO.

But overall I definitely preferred it to IE which until FireFox I had used since about 1998. But the newer versions of firefox outperformed ie--BUT IE 7 IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT OVERALL TO IE 6. IT HAS BUGS OF COURSE. AND WHY YOU MAY ASK AM I SHOUTING--I AM NOT--MY KEYBOARD IS ACTING UP AND WILL CORRECT ITSELF AFTER I REBOOT. (I HOPE)

Yep, reboot and all is well.

Sir Raleigh
MVM
join:2001-07-31
Raleigh, NC

Sir Raleigh

MVM

LOL about your keyboard...

Thanks for your reply. I'll admit that playing video's, or not playing video's, I should say, has been one of the more popular topics here.

I'm sorry to hear that going back to 1.5.x.x didn't fix your problem.

If you'd like to try Fx again sometime in the future, feel free to post back and we'll try to help.

Thanks again for your reply.
Bharat
join:2006-10-28
Cypress, TX

Bharat to Jedi Writer2

to Jedi Writer2
the fresh install guide works for rollbacks as well as upgrades and re-installs

Jedi Writer2
Premium Member
USA

Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

The earliest versions of FireFox definitely often did not like it if you upgraded over the top of the old version. It wanted you to uninstall and do a new fresh install --but that seemed to cease to be a problem as the versions moved past 1.0 or thereabouts.

It is only the current version that I've had any problems it is probably not directly a FF problem--but who knows.

It definitely would be an improvement on the upgrade process if they made it so you didn't have to reinstall, search for or have rendered inoperative all the plug-ins or extensions, etc. It would be nice to have it a modular package.
mark_y_k
join:2004-06-30
Pound, VA

mark_y_k to Jedi Writer2

to Jedi Writer2
what i did was uninstall 2.0 then i went to »oldversion.com/ and clicked on mozilla and downloaded 1.5.7 and it only took me a couple of minutes and all my bookmarks and extensions were still there

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

You can also go here: »releases.mozilla.org/pub ··· eleases/ to find older versions of Firefox.

Firebird or Phoenix builds anyone?

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000

Premium Member

said by Santa Fe:

You can also go here: »releases.mozilla.org/pub ··· eleases/ to find older versions of Firefox.

Firebird or Phoenix builds anyone?
or here: »www.oldversion.com/progr ··· =firefox

rtherocks
Premium Member
join:2002-09-28
Zebulon, NC

rtherocks to Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

to Jedi Writer2
I am having problems with my FF the other day when I opened it and went to my bookmarks thay were all gone this has happend befor any ideas how to get them back?Also it will not let me add any bookmarks now as well.

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

bcool to Jedi Writer2

Premium Member

to Jedi Writer2
said by Jedi Writer2:

It definitely would be an improvement on the upgrade process if they made it so you didn't have to reinstall, search for or have rendered inoperative all the plug-ins or extensions, etc. It would be nice to have it a modular package.
I quite imagine we'll see the easier uninstall/reinstall procedures in the future as Firefox evolves. I'm sorry Firefox isn't doing it for you just now but hey you gotta go with something that ain't gonna give you an ulcer.