uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Proxy moving...

I grow tired of the proxy going down every time I travel, so it's about time to move it to a hosting site.

So, to ease the transition, which I'm hoping will be transparent, please update your conf files and replace the IP with 'rc5proxy.bbrrc5.org' (I should have done that in the first place).

Moo!
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
That's option 2, then 6, then 3, where it currently says 216.27.xxx.xx.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach
kudos:3
I'll have to remember to do make the change when I'm downstairs.
--
Making the world better, one post at a time.

DrewCapu
Giant Diehard

join:2001-12-19
California
reply to Gomez
Wouldn't the easier fix be to stop travelling?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Gomez
What is the timeframe for this?

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
I wasn't able to update my work…er…remote machines until today. They claimed to have been sending packets to the server, but your page said I had 0 blocks today - until I made the change. Then it only showed the blocks submitted after I made the change. Weird they go?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Did you have it set to fall back to the dist.net servers?

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to lunarPlexus
said by lunarPlexus:

I wasn't able to update my work…er…remote machines until today. They claimed to have been sending packets to the server, but your page said I had 0 blocks today - until I made the change. Then it only showed the blocks submitted after I made the change. Weird they go?
Nothings changed as of yet. I'll probably order the dedicated host this week. Looking at the graph, you have fairly infrequent submissions. Is it possible that they were just in queue?

If not, like tmp suggested, they may have fallen back to the dnetc proxy.
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
reply to tmpchaos
Not on purpose, but it looks like that's what happened.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Gomez
Ok the new server is provisioned. Here's the general plan.

1) Get database replication working, This should allow blocks to be dumped to the old site, and show up on the new site, nearly immediately. Reset the database on the old site, reread all the logs, resulting in a mirror.

2) Once that's working, move the web app and change the www pointer to the new server. That's the biggest issue now, so that's the majority of the battle.

3) Sync the logs between the two sites.

4) shut down the old proxy, and the old database, move the logs out of the way. At the same time, start up the new proxy, and change the DNS entry. At this point any blocks on the old site are logged, sent to dnetc, but no DB. Emails go out to people submitting to the old site, and these logs get pushed daily to the new site to get picked up by the file reader.

It should be transparent unless you happen to look at the site while I'm doing a db refresh to get things mirrored.

I'll keep you posted
--

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI
kudos:1
u da man Gomez!

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to Gomez
Hopefully no one noticed, but everything is moved, and has been running fine all day. The old proxy is chained to the new proxy, making it pretty transparent.

If you haven't done so already, please change your settings. »www.bbrrc5.org/proxy/faq.jsp . If you changed before last night, you'll need to restart the client to pick up the DNS change.

In a couple of days I'll write a cron job that looks at logs on the old proxy and sends reminder emails to those still using it. If you don't want the email, change the settings.

In the process of moving stuff, I also implemented query logging, so it's easy to see where the bottle necks are. As a result, some things have been tweaked, so everything but OS/CPU summaries should load in milliseconds.
--

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI
kudos:1
reply to Gomez
it seems to be purring along nicely. pages load super fast!. 8))
--
Join Us! :: »Team RC5

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Gomez
Whoa, nice! Thanks, that's great. No more wincing when clicking on the proxy link.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
Luckenbach
reply to Gomez
New server is wicked fast! The old server seemed to be wicked slow. The improvement is wicked cool.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
But the new one won't tell us when he's away!

DrewCapu
Giant Diehard

join:2001-12-19
California
reply to Tex Longhorn
Wicked. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. I just looked up that word on the intraweb and found... hmmm...

Wicked!!!

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
Luckenbach
reply to Gomez
"My boy's wicked smart." Said in my best Boston accent.
--

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by Tex Longhorn:

"My boy's wicked smart." Said in my best Boston accent.
Smart = "smaht", right?

Between Car Talk and This Old House, I think I'm gettin' it.
--
Iraq Coalition Deaths, Graphic | RC5 | bobrk

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
Luckenbach
That's wight.

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Isn't that more Elmer Fudd?

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
Luckenbach
Reviews:
·Pacific Bell - SBC
·Verizon Online DSL
·Verizon FiOS
I get the two mixed up.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLC3Y2QE1_o

--

Sacker
Premium
join:2004-01-09
La Vergne, TN
This one is nice and fast