spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

TiVo Delayed

TiVo won't be available until Spring 2007 at the earliest.

Anyone want to dispute this?

I can't wait for it so I wish I was wrong. But I rather wait 6 more months and have it bug free then rushed and buggy like the i-Guide.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

I know no one likes the idea of spending $800 upfront, plus service fees, and cable card rental (not to mention that if it breaks you have to buy a new one), but if you wanted an HD TiVo today, you can get one.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to nascar

MVM

to nascar
Any reason why? Last minute bugfixes or more like logistics and corporate politics? For all area's or for just some?
johnspalm
join:2002-07-27

johnspalm to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

TiVo won't be available until Spring 2007 at the earliest.
Is this fact or conjecture?

Comcablrtl
join:2003-10-25
Midwest

Comcablrtl

Fact.
formulaben
join:2005-11-02
Portland, OR

formulaben

I'm thinking of another four letter word that starts with F...
scanpa
Premium Member
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA

scanpa to Comcablrtl

Premium Member

to Comcablrtl
It's true, that the main Roll-Out for the TiVo Comcast Motorola DVR Software has been pushed from Jan. 2007 till Mid / late April now.

However the Few Test Markets will only be delayed till late Jan 2007 for the Public Roll Out instead of Late Dec. 2006.

Daniel8802
join:2004-07-09
Sewell, NJ

Daniel8802

any article to back this up?
scanpa
Premium Member
Lebanon, PA

scanpa

Premium Member

This is not public released info.

this info was passed on today at work.
patspub
join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

By the time Comcast launches their TIVO service it will be next year this time. They always have make a big deal when they "Launch" anything especially new channels
58483323 (banned)
Gurt me
join:2003-06-23
Normal, IL

58483323 (banned) to nascar

to nascar
ugh.
SGR
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
East Berlin, PA

SGR to nascar

Premium Member

to nascar
Why do I have a feeling this won't be the last time this happens?

Comcablrtl
join:2003-10-25
Midwest

Comcablrtl to scanpa

to scanpa
There was never a promised release date anyways...just speculation on everyone's part. There is a version of the product ready, but Comcast wants to make sure that it is as perfect as it can be, before releasing it. I always agree with waiting until a product is better perfected, before releasing it. I think that companies should try to get new things out quickly, but not at the expense of quality. Look at the recent launch of PS3...they are burning out all over the place.

(Let's not all start bringing up the many issues with the Motorola DVRs now)

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Comcablrtl:

There was never a promised release date anyways...just speculation on everyone's part. There is a version of the product ready, but Comcast wants to make sure that it is as perfect as it can be, before releasing it. I always agree with waiting until a product is better perfected, before releasing it. I think that companies should try to get new things out quickly, but not at the expense of quality. Look at the recent launch of PS3...they are burning out all over the place.

(Let's not all start bringing up the many issues with the Motorola DVRs now)
Agreed! You don't want to make the same mistake as with the I-Guide / Motorola DVR's. Those products are obviously in their infancy. Let the TIVO software mature in the hands of Comcast and its testers. Release it to the general public when it is fit to be polished and clean.

Yeah the PS3 was rushed for the holiday season despite all the shortcomings. They really pulled a Microsoft as in "release it now, fix it later". The dang thing still sells for $900+ on e-bay. That's another conversation all together.
formulaben
join:2005-11-02
Portland, OR

4 edits

formulaben to scanpa

to scanpa
said by scanpa:

It's true, that the main Roll-Out for the TiVo Comcast Motorola DVR Software has been pushed from Jan. 2007 till Mid / late April now.

However the Few Test Markets will only be delayed till late Jan 2007 for the Public Roll Out instead of Late Dec. 2006.

Is Portland one of the test markets?! I'd love to be a beta tester, as somehow I already feel as such with this Motorola junk.
rkemmer
join:2004-02-15
Jericho, VT

rkemmer to nascar

to nascar
Almost sprung for a TIVO series 3 until I found out Comcast was going to offer TIVO programing - actually ordered it and then sent it back.

I was told by a representative (while canceling my install appointment for the cable cards) that the TIVO
software could be pushed onto my Scientific Atlanta HD DVR when it became available. I have this DVR because I'm a previous Adelphia customer going through the change-over to Comcast.

Any thoughts about their comments on the usability of the S/A DVR? I'm suspicious it was bogus info?

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to patspub

Premium Member

to patspub
said by patspub:

They always have make a big deal when they "Launch" anything especially new channels
Those BASTARDS! I wish they could just keep all their new products and service on the DL.. you know.. so no one will find out about them.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to nascar

MVM

to nascar
I'll get the Tivo if it doesn't have distracting banner ads plastered on it. The 6412 P3 and later use the same Broadcom CPU as the Tivo S3. This has my hopes up that it might be able to perform rather respectively compared to a real Tivo.

My biggest concern is can the Motorola box handle all the Tivo bells and whistles? They are going to probably use some of the hard drive for the operating system because 16MB flash firmware is just too tiny for all of the pretty Tivo screens and features.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

My biggest concern is can the Motorola box handle all the Tivo bells and whistles? They are going to probably use some of the hard drive for the operating system because 16MB flash firmware is just too tiny for all of the pretty Tivo screens and features.
It will probably be able to handle it just fine. You are aware that regular TiVos use part of the hard drive for the OS, right?

Personally, I'm wondering whether the cable company's TiVo will have the home media features that a "real" TiVo does.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin to mbernste

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

I know no one likes the idea of spending $800 upfront, plus service fees, and cable card rental (not to mention that if it breaks you have to buy a new one), but if you wanted an HD TiVo today, you can get one.
Euughh, that's a tough pill to swallow. $800 up front, $300 for 3-years up front, $3-4/mo for two CableCards, $5/mo for HD activiation. All that for a box you probably aren't going to keep for 3 years...yeah thanks, but no thanks, TiVo.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Last I heard, Comcast doesn't charge extra for an HD box if you get their digital tier. Since I transferred my lifetime service from my old Series 2, it only cost me $1,000 total which seems reasonable considering the hardware in the machine. I'm only paying $5/month for 2 cable cards, but at least there's one less box I have to deal with in my home entertainment configuration, plus it allowed me to move the existing HD box to my other HDTV where I have a dual tuner Series 2. This way I can record up to 4 things (3 on digital cable, 1 analog) at the same time while watching a 5th pre-recorded show, the only problem is when's the last time there were 4 things on at the same time worth recording?
scanpa
Premium Member
Lebanon, PA

scanpa to rkemmer

Premium Member

to rkemmer
It is Bogus, this is only currently being coded / ported to the Motorola DCT series of HD DVR.

Late 2007 is the timeframe for the deal with SA-Comcast for TiVo Software.

I would expect it more around Early to mid 2008 however.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

This was released to the public:

»multichannel.com/article ··· =comcast

Kamaz
join:2006-01-26
Elizabethtown, PA

Kamaz to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Agreed! You don't want to make the same mistake as with the I-Guide / Motorola DVR's. Those products are obviously in their infancy.
Wait I sec, I'm about to sign up for Comcast triple play with the dual tuner Motorala HD-DVR. Whatever the problems are, are they bad enough that I should hold off on signing up?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

No, theres just small bugs and quirks that you work around. You have plenty of support here, and if you google "How to use a Motorola DVR" you'll find tons of information at the first hit.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to Kamaz

to Kamaz
said by Kamaz:
said by cypherstream:

Agreed! You don't want to make the same mistake as with the I-Guide / Motorola DVR's. Those products are obviously in their infancy.
Wait I sec, I'm about to sign up for Comcast triple play with the dual tuner Motorala HD-DVR. Whatever the problems are, are they bad enough that I should hold off on signing up?
It is really buggy and sometimes unreliable. But, would I return it. Nope!

I try to report every bug to Comcast and hope they listen and fix it.

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker to nascar

Premium Member

to nascar
said by nascar:

This was released to the public:

»multichannel.com/article ··· =comcast
TiVo's can download software over the internet....the 6412 has a cable modem built in....so isn't it common sense that they could use that modem to pull listings down over the internet....(in case anyone is wondering what I am talking about read the article)

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

They don't need to use the internal modem. Software and Firmware are delivered via the cable in an out of bound frequency.

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker

Premium Member

said by nascar:

They don't need to use the internal modem. Software and Firmware are delivered via the cable in an out of bound frequency.
well it said in the article that they are having trouble getting tivo guide data to the cable boxes themselves through the headend....so I did not understand why they do not just enable the cable modem for guide data to download off the internet like standard tivo's do....

celeritypc
For Lucky Best Wash, Use Mr. Sparkle
Premium Member
join:2004-05-15
Caldwell, NJ

celeritypc

Premium Member

said by Loker:

said by nascar:

well it said in the article that they are having trouble getting tivo guide data to the cable boxes themselves through the headend....so I did not understand why they do not just enable the cable modem for guide data to download off the internet like standard tivo's do....
No, what the article said is that sending the data over the cable infrastructure was a hurdle in the development of the Tivo software (they never had to do it before) but the tests were going well.