how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mickeymouse9

join:2005-01-08
Plano, TX

Comcast disconnects for using P2P

Comcast has over the past 2 days has implemented a system to disconnect the cable connection if using P2P in my area.

I did some change in settings (upload & download rate, connecting cable modem directly to computer) but I have confirmed that Comcast DOES disconnect. The cable modem lights are blinking as though it is working but traffic to and from internet does not get through.

I had to reboot the cable modem, D Link VOIP Accelerator (DI-102), Dlink wireless modem, Sunrocket Gizmo to get it going again.

Apparently all ISPs are going to put the clause in the agreement for "excessive use". Such a clause met with some difficulty in France but looks like US has started already implementing it.

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

2 recommendations

Sorry, gotta call on this one.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mickeymouse9

You have some indeterminate cable modem, and a wireless modem? And a Sunrocket "Gizmo"? The only item you gave a specific identity to was the D-Link DI-102. But no information on how it all interconnected, or even which P2P application you are using.

You need to learn how to properly formulate a problem statement, including properly identifying the models of the equipment, and how it is interconnected.

Or did you just mean for this to be a rant?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

peerimpact

join:2005-11-07
Londonderry, VT

1 edit

1 recommendation

Plug straight into the cable modem and see if your connection drops .

Many routers choke on too many connections being open .

Can you tell us what p2p client you are using?
If it is using protocol encryption?
What ports you have open for the p2p client?
Do you use uPNP with the p2p client ?

ISPs tend not block any p2p traffic but they might shape the traffic if they identify specific p2p traffic on the network.

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Big_D

said by Big_D:

Sorry, gotta call on this one.
Agreed...
»Rants, Raves, and Praise

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to peerimpact

said by peerimpact:

Plug straight into the cable modem and see if your connection drops .

Many routers choke on too many connections being open .
He is right. I can only open so many connections on my router. If i open up too many, it will eventually freeze up my connection.
--
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

How do you open " too many connections on your router "?

Frankly, I believe you are FOS, blaming Comcast for your own inadequacies in setting up your P2P service.

Q

mickeymouse9

join:2005-01-08
Plano, TX

2 edits
reply to mickeymouse9

I hope this is BS myself !! Unfortunately it is not !!

I have been using P2P for about 3 months now and have not had a single issue.

My connection in the order:
Cable Modem - Dlink DCM 202
DLink VOIP Accelerator - Dlink DI 102
Wireless Router - Dlink WBR 1310
Behind the router is the Computer (wired) and SunRocket Gizmo.

Using BitComet 0.70. No PeerGuardian.

I am going to try to directly connect the computer to the cable modem and try it again. I will post the results.

Praying that it will work and it was my router that could not handle so many connections. Is there a paramter to tweak for the router?

I am sorry about the previous abrupt post. I was frustrated and pissed and given wrong information !!

The settings on the Wireless Router are:
Enable uPnP - Yes
Enable Wan Ping Respond - Yes
Enable Gaming Mode - Yes
Enable Multicast Streams - Yes
Firmware 1.01 - Dec 2005

cwagner17

join:2003-03-13
Hatfield, PA

3 edits

Check your router log. Every D-link router I have owned would reboot for no reason. The WBR-1310 is essentially a Di-524 repackaged in a new case. This could be the disconnects you are experiencing. Best test is to bypass the router and see what happens.

Also check this thread out:
»DI-524 rev.D. Upgrade choice: DI-624 rev.D or WBR-1310 ?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to mickeymouse9

said by mickeymouse9:

Is there a paramter to tweak for the router?

Enable uPnP - Yes
Enable Gaming Mode - Yes
Firmware 1.01 - Dec 2005
I don't know about your router. No setting in mine. I tweak the client. Using BitTornado, and limiting peer connections to just 60. Only run on download at any given time. I'd halve the peer connections for two downloads; but I have never really had to run more than one at a time.

With some routers, or modems (older models), the peer connections may need to be reduced; or even the upload BW choked at the client.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

robct
rob

join:2004-04-09
Waterbury, CT
reply to mickeymouse9

same thing happening to me. every morning i wake up now with internet not working - have to restart modem for it to work again.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to Quaoar

said by Quaoar:

SOHO routers are basically just NAT boxes. In order to provide the translation it needs to create a table entry for every connection (so it knows which conversation goes to which PC on the inside). If that table fills up, or you try to open too many connections too quickly all bets are off on how the router will deal with it.

-Eric

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

I've been using Comcast and P2P for over 3 years and have never had any disconnects due to them.

Yes, I've overloaded many SOHO routers with too much traffic; but I solved that problem by building linux gateway boxes and by purchasing (and implementing) enterprise cisco routers and switches.

[alright, the switches are not exacly today's models, but I did not shell out thousands of $ for them either ]

grazed

join:2006-10-15
Havertown, PA

2 edits
reply to mickeymouse9

quote:
I hope this is BS myself !! Unfortunately it is not !!
don't assume.

quote:
Using BitComet 0.70.
welcome to unfinished, mediocre beta software.

quote:
Enable uPnP - Yes
Enable Gaming Mode - Yes
Firmware 1.01 - Dec 2005
all that this tells us, is that you need to update your firmware.

quote:
I have been using P2P for about 3 months now and have not had a single issue.

well, if that is so, then don't assume and try to analyze a situation such as stating something like this...

quote:
Comcast has over the past 2 days has implemented a system to disconnect the cable connection if using P2P in my area.

I did some change in settings (upload & download rate, connecting cable modem directly to computer) but I have confirmed that Comcast DOES disconnect. The cable modem lights are blinking as though it is working but traffic to and from internet does not get through.

...without having any experience in the P2P background.

PS - isp's are THROTTLING bandwidth on common P2P ports. not terminating your connection.

most likely, it sounds like you are having some remote routing issues.

liew

@maxonline.com.sg
reply to mickeymouse9

Re: Comcast disconnects for using P2P - p2p TVants?

what technology they are using?

I just tried a online p2p TV software - TVants, which can stream and watch online TV channels. Mainly chinese channels. But I do see some channels likes ESPN.....

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18
reply to Quaoar

Re: Comcast disconnects for using P2P

said by Quaoar:

Frankly, I believe you are FOS, blaming Comcast for your own inadequacies in setting up your P2P service.

Q
Simple, the mass amount of traffic that bittorent uses uses up either the routers cpu or memory... Causes it to lag out or reset, it can be avoided by lowering the max number of connections/storms in bittorent.

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA
reply to mickeymouse9

said by mickeymouse9:

DLink VOIP Accelerator - Dlink DI 102

My money is on this puppy being the root cause of the problem.

It makes a half-hearted attempt at queueing the traffic. Probably just runs out of buffers and locks up. Try it without this in the picture. Do some basic troubleshooting and eliminate what you can.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Morty7

said by Morty7:

said by Quaoar:

Q
Simple, the mass amount of traffic that bittorent uses uses up either the routers cpu or memory... Causes it to lag out or reset, it can be avoided by lowering the max number of connections/storms in bittorent.
I agree, I would also suggest he takes a look a windows. Windows xp sp2 introduced a 10 half open connections limit. This can some times be the issue especially if the client is set up wrong.

It can be can sometimes be related to how many people are on the torrent, and if its using the public dht network, they can flood you off the swarm if you have weak equipment.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

*Puts on tin foil hat*

Hit Me With All Ya Got!

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to mickeymouse9

i run file share 24/7 and never get disconnected
--
»never pay full price for high speed again!!!

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA

1 edit
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

By the reading it looks like a rant.

said by newtodsl123 :
but I have confirmed that Comcast DOES disconnect

How?

--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

lightzout
Premium
join:2005-07-29
San Anselmo, CA
reply to mickeymouse9

The d-link "disconnect" problem for this modem was well known a few years ago in gaming circles as it was blamed for many unhappy Battlefield and World of Warcraft players as well as p2p users. The problem appeared to be related a very fast power cycle at random times. It would be very hard to see unless you are logging events. I called dlink and they sent me a new one without any debate giving me the impression they were getting a lot of similar calls. I have since used a belkin router and now an apple without any "disconnects" whatsoever. Furthermore, if Comcast were doing such things I think the smarty pants net guys would know by now. The OP is paranoid. Maybe he doesn't want to get busted for downloading "Bosom Buddies" re-runs?

Expand your moderator at work

ditka_b
Premium
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL
reply to fonzbear2000

Well you should be getting that letter from the RIAA AND MPAA any day congrats:)

Expand your moderator at work

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA
reply to mickeymouse9

said by mickeymouse9:

I had to reboot the cable modem, D Link VOIP Accelerator (DI-102), Dlink wireless modem, Sunrocket Gizmo to get it going again.

Actually, this tells you that it's almost certainly a problem on your end.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to mickeymouse9

I also call BS. I have run p2p when on Comcast (before
we were switched over to TWC/RoadRunner), and I never
got disconnected while using p2p, nor did I have my
traffic throttled.

BT is one of more connection-intensive p2p apps out
there, and can easily overload network equipment, which
could make it look like they were disconnecting you.

But Comcast will pass on DMCA notices that they
receive from copyright holders, so watch what you
share - and BT is currently the main network that
their enforcers are trolling through looking for
infringement.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Destiny Of The Daleks)

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
reply to priller

said by priller:

said by mickeymouse9:

Actually, this tells you that it's almost certainly a problem on your end.
Him power cycling his equipment causes the Comcast's P2PNukeilator3000 program (running at the Comcast command bunker in Cheyenne Mountain) to reset! Yeah, that's what is going on...
--
Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali invites you to wear a burqa for peace.

Wills9

join:2001-01-03
Port Charlotte, FL

1 edit
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

You have some indeterminate cable modem, and a wireless modem? And a Sunrocket "Gizmo"? The only item you gave a specific identity to was the D-Link DI-102. But no information on how it all interconnected, or even which P2P application you are using.

You need to learn how to properly formulate a problem statement, including properly identifying the models of the equipment, and how it is interconnected.

»www.sunrocket.com/support/equipment/gizmo/

It's called a damn Gizmo.
--
I have a shaved head, a goatee, and tatoos. Don't you realize the rules don't apply to me.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium
join:2005-01-03
reply to cwagner17

said by cwagner17:

Every D-link router I have owned would reboot for no reason.
Me too. I have an el-cheapo Belkin wireless router from Wal-Mart. Works 100x better than any D-Link.
--
"I invented it, Bill made it famous." --David Bradley, the inventor of Ctrl+Alt+Del.