signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

UD Agent issues on WinVista RC2...

Well, I can get UD Agent to run on WinVista RC2, but there are problems:

The only way for it to work is to go into the executables properties and set it to run in administrator mode, and I also have it set to be compatible with XP SP2. Thing is, once I do that and have it installed where it loads during the OS startup, the startup hangs and gets stuck when trying to load Agent. It took me just a few minutes to figure out for sure that it was UD Agent that was the problem.

So what I have done is deleted the UD Agent executable shortcut that sits in the programs -> Startups folder so that it doesn't try and start up with the OS. Then after all is booted, I load it manually later. Don't know why it is like this, and I sure hope our good friends who write the code get some time to accomodate Vista, but those are the issues I have been experiencing.

Vista is pretty good, but it does drag down slow when I am multitasking a bit, mostly the one problem is the file system hangs up, other than that, and a lack of some software and driver incompatibility, it is nice.

Anyone know how they are doing on a version for Vista?
--
I don't claim to be a genius. Sure, I used to be one of those dorks, but I lost my IQ, so forgive me my occasional addled mistake! At least I admit to my errors, which are frequent, I am old... God save America!

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

Early info in is scattered at the moment.

Vista is something they may have to address though soon

I'm glad to hear you figured a way to configure..you're a smart cookie

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Not really, but I'm a goofy nacho.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Well, I can get UD Agent to run on WinVista RC2, but there are problems:
I now have UD Agent running on Vista RTM. I had to re-register the agent, which some others have had to do with all versions of Vista tested so far.
The only way for it to work is to go into the executables properties and set it to run in administrator mode, and I also have it set to be compatible with XP SP2.
This indeed seems to be the case for now. The agent runs fine in XP SP2 compatibility mode, but is unable to finalize a WU, send it back to UD, or obtain a new WU. Setting the agent to run as administrator does solve this.
Thing is, once I do that and have it installed where it loads during the OS startup, the startup hangs and gets stuck when trying to load Agent. It took me just a few minutes to figure out for sure that it was UD Agent that was the problem.
This is the new UAC (User Access Control) in Vista. Since the agent must run with elevated privileges (as administrator) interaction is required to allow this to continue. In the system tray (right-hand side of task bar) there is an icon after startup for 'blocked programs'. Right-click, select 'blocked programs', select UD Agent, then 'Allow'.

I'll try to do some more experimenting and see if this can be "fixed" by lowering security (not recommended), but for now:
•Current UD installer works with Vista
•UD Agent must run with 'run as administrator' enabled
•UD Agent startup with windows startup requires user action to allow execution as administrator

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

Added to our FAQ as bookmark - while we work thru..and possibly resolve issues that may occur with Windows Vista:

»Team Discovery UD FAQ {Archived} »UD Agent & Windows Vista Issues? (RC2, et al)

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Thing is, if you want to be able to boot up into regular non safe mode, you *may* (at least it is the case for me) have to remove the shortcut in Programs -> starup programs. Then after you reboot each time, hand start the app.

We will have to see how post RC2 does...
--
I don't claim to be a genius. Sure, I used to be one of those dorks, but I lost my IQ, so forgive me my occasional addled mistake! At least I admit to my errors, which are frequent, I am old... God save America!

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by signmeuptoo:

Thing is, if you want to be able to boot up into regular non safe mode, you *may* (at least it is the case for me) have to remove the shortcut in Programs -> starup programs. Then after you reboot each time, hand start the app.

We will have to see how post RC2 does...
RTM (Release To Manufacturing) is the production release being burned to CD for distribution come January.

With a post-RC2 beta as well as with RTM the startup seems to continue completely, except for the items that are not trusted (such as those that want to run as administrator). An icon will appear in the systray when this happens and clicking on this will provide an opportunity to allow those "blocked" programs to start.

Of course it might just be easier to remove it from the startup shortcut and start by hand with each reboot.

UAC (User Access Control) will cause some pain for a while. There's been no word over at grid.org (or UD) about an updated agent for vista but we can only hope there will be something soon.