Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

[General] RV082 vs DSLR Line Quality Test.

Brief history: I replied to this topic: »[Connectivity] Line Quality showed bad packet loss between certa

and noticed I wasn't getting a good LQT result although I had no connection issues. So for a little help/advice I posted this topic: »[Connectivity] Is it me or Comcast?

Now if you follow the topic through you will see I have determined it is my router that is causing the results of the Line Quality test I am seeing.

Seeing as this is not a Comcast issue I'll try here.

I have further tested using an older SX41 router(1.52.10 firmware) and it passes the test as well. So the test passes fine bypassing the RV082 and connecting directly, using an older SX41 router and had a few friends test as well, all passing behind routers.

So now I am trying to determine if the RV082(1.3.2 firmware) is working as advertised or might have an issue. For further testing I went to DNSstuff and ran a trace route to my WAN IP. I got a proper response from a simple echo request(I do have the RV082 to set to NOT block WAN requests) however in the analysis following the test it says:

Analysis:
Number of hops: 13
Last hop responding to ICMP: 13, UDP: 12, TCP: 12.
The destination appears to block unwanted UDP packets.
The destination appears to block unwanted TCP packets.

So it would seem the router is blocking unwanted UDP and TCP packets, which I assume is proper. My first thought was that perhaps the LQ test might be using more than simple ICMP type 8 but after a short chat that does not appear to be the case. Now I'm thinking since the RV082 has a Rate Limit feature it might be failing part of the Line Quality test due to that feature.

For comparison:
LQT behind RV082: »/lineq ··· /2135806
LQT bypassing router: »/lineq ··· /2135852
LQT behind SX41: »/lineq ··· /2136243

Does anyone have any insight to this or can verify what I am seeing using a RV series router?

Fwiw I do not wish to discuss the merits or value of the Line Quality test or whether traffic shaping or rate limiting at the ISP level might be causing the problem. As can be seen by the test results it is clear the test passes fully except when behind the RV082. I'm not really trying to solve a problem but learn how things work.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Look at my results for DSL which are identical to yours: »Line quality packet loss?.

It is the RV082 causing this. It would seem that when the router is pinged at a high rate, it chokes. I thought maybe it was something in the DoS protection, SPI, or when using a dual WAN, but after disabling those and testing again, I had the same results.

I have 1.3.3.4 firmware on my RV082.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

jbob

Premium Member

Ah yes. Chatting with YeOldeStonecat and says the 1.3.6 firmware will be out next week. I just downloaded the 1.3.5 today so guess I'll wait now.

edit: ...added
And as my post suggests could this be the rate limiting feature of the router actually doing what it's supposed to do?
I do see that comment about "rate limit" in my Wallwatcher logs quite often.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l to jbob

MVM

to jbob
Unfortunately, I don't have any LQ results from immediately after installing my RV082 last May. In fact, I don't think I had run ANY LQ tests on this router until I noticed those tests with failures so I can't say if this router could pass the LQ test with any of the older firmwares.

Edit: Ha! I long ago edited Wallwatcher to ignore ratelimit entries in the router log. I've never seen another router failing LQ tests in this fashion so I don't understand the purpose of the ratelimit feature.

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

I did get verification of the same bad LQT results from someone using a RV082 and the 1.3.5 firmware. Not sure if they are gonna post.
jbob

jbob

Premium Member

I don't want to drag my own thread off topic but FYI. The 1.3.3.6 firmware is now showing on the Linksys FTP site:
»ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network

Not sure if it might help with this issue or not.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to jbob

MVM

to jbob
If ratelimit is supposed be a feature that stops the router from responding to a rapid rate of pings, then it seems to me that it should be able to be disabled when either DoS or Block WAN Request is Disabled.

From the help file:
Denial of Service (DoS)
Protect internal networks from Internet attacks, such as SYN Flooding, Smurf, LAND, Ping of Death, IP Spoofing and reassembly attacks.

Block WAN Request
This feature is designed to prevent attacks through the Internet. When it is enabled, the Router will drop both the unaccepted TCP request and ICMP packets from the WAN side. The hacker will not find the Router by pinging the WAN IP address. If DMZ is enabled, this function will be disabled.
I wonder if this is a bug in that DoS protection for Ping of Death seems to fit what ratelimit might be used for, but it can't be disabled.

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

Surprise, surprise. Just reflashed my router down to firmware version 1.1.6.14, reran LQT and here are the results:
»/lineq ··· /2137107

Looks like it is firmware related. I'm gonna flash to the newest 1.3.3.6 here in a few and try again.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to jbob

MVM

to jbob
Well it looks as though the 1.3.x versions of the firmware have a bug. Maybe the "DoS" protection can't be disabled.

Did you test 1.1.6.14 with DoS enabled or disabled?

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

2 edits

jbob

Premium Member

I tried the test with DoS enabled on the older firmware.

Next tried it with the latest 1.3.3.6 firmware. Failed! Same results.

Maybe this is something we need to hit Linksys/Cisco about. Maybe the difference in the older Intel CSR1.1 vs CSR 2.2 firmware. i.e. between the 1.1 vs 1.3 firmware.

Edit...text added
petieboy
join:2006-12-22
Toronto, ON

2 edits

petieboy

Hmm.. I'm experiencing the packet loss issue on 1.3.3.5. Before I attempt to flash to the older Intel CSR1.1 firmwares, can someone let me know - briefly - what the major differences are?

We're using the RV082 for an office environment with about 8 workstations and 3 VPN tunnels, and 1 SIP provider. The packet loss is affecting our VOIP.

Thanks in advance.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l

MVM

CSR1.1-based firmwares have less capabilities that the newer CSR1.2.2-based ones. In addition to the improvements that have been added since the 1.1.x.x firmwares, the basic throughput capabilities have more than doubled since Linksys began using the newer Intel binaries.

Edit: If you revert back to the older 1.1.x.x firmware, do NOT try to rebuild your router's configuration by importing any configuration files you have saved for the 1.3.x.x firmwares. Apparently doing so will permanently damage your router.

Fr0zen
join:2002-10-22
Chicago, IL

Fr0zen to jbob

to jbob
This is a good thread, because my RV082 has issues when it's ping'd rapidly. In fact it's so damn bad my rsync transfers short out!! Where can I get the older firmware?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

I think any version you might possibly want to use is here: »ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

Fr0zen
Chicago, IL

Fr0zen to jbob

to jbob
I downgraded to 1.1.4, what do you know? I am able to rsync transfers now without any issues. The new firmwares are laggy and inefficent in my humble opinion.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

I think some of the 1.3.3.x versions have better (smoother) load balancing capabilities than the 1.x versions.

Fr0zen
Chicago, IL

Fr0zen to jbob

to jbob
Wow, this old firmware is the best. No more dropped SSH sessions, ftp session, vpn sessions, or rdp session, oh and not to mention rsync trasnfers. It has 0 hickups. Bandwidth seems to be better too.