spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan

Anon

How do I change my ip address?

I have called Embarq several times, and both the tech support employees were very kind. They took the time to help me, but unfortunately neither could help me. I need my IP address changed. I want a new one. Before sprint became embarq or w/e happened, I could turn my modem off and wait a few minutes, then turn it back on, and there would be a new ip address. It doesn't work anymore, and both times I have called for tech support the embarq employees were unsuccessful. So, how do I change my ip address!?!
gh4456
Premium Member
join:2004-04-07
Beverly Hills, CA

gh4456

Premium Member

Do you have a static IP - Are you using a PPPoE configuration or DHCP?

Duhhhh
@embarqhsd.net

Duhhhh to Jordan

Anon

to Jordan
If was able to shut modem off and then turn it back on and get a new IP he definitely doesn't have a static IP.

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan to Jordan

Anon

to Jordan
I am not using a static ip.

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to Jordan

to Jordan
Well... if he's a DHCP customer the DHCP sever will have associated the IP in question to the MAC address of the DSL modem.

You can try using the Release/Renew option under the WAN Diagnostics. But unless your MAC address changes, you're likely to keep getting the same IP over and over since there's no reason for the DHCP server to give you a new IP.

The only way to sure get a new IP with the same equipment is to Release the WAN IP and turn the DSL modem off for a day or so. Then it's likely someone else will end up with your IP address and you'll get a new one when you turn it on.

The other sure way to get a new IP is to Release and swap in a new DSL modem (or someone elses) temporarily. That will cause your line to get a new IP.

}Davoice
davoice

davoice to Jordan

to Jordan
PS... Jordan... Take a moment to register for the BroadbandReports website. Welcome to the community.

}Davoice

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Duhhhh

Premium Member

to Duhhhh
said by Duhhhh :

If was able to shut modem off and then turn it back on and get a new IP he definitely doesn't have a static IP.
This isn't correct. I was gone from my house for four days for Thanksgiving. I unplugged my power strip and plugged it back in when I came back home. My modem got the exact same IP address it had before I left.
MZR2
join:2006-08-12
TX

MZR2 to Jordan

to Jordan
On your modem's GUI:
Release WAN IP ---> Renew WAN IP or
Release WAN IP ---> Switch modem to bridge mode, after you get a new IP, you could reset your modem to go back to modem/router mode if you wish.

Duhhhh
@sprintlink.net

1 recommendation

Duhhhh to Maxo

Anon

to Maxo
Why is it that tech support people hear you but just don't listen to what you're saying.

Jordan said when it was Sprint he used to be able to turn off his modem and when he turned it on he got a new IP, which would be PPPoE.

Now under Embarq he is unable to do that and he stated he has talked to Embarq tech support a couple of times and they couldn't figure out how he could obtain a new IP.

This is easy - Under Sprint the customer was PPPoE and at some point due to upgrade or modem replacement he was changed to Dynamic IPoE. When he talked to tech support, twice, he would of been informed that he could not change his IP if it was a Static (he also came back and said he doesn't have a Static IP).

From the customers end, it's a crap shoot to change the IP. Your IP lease must have expired to start, which means at least 1 hour with the modem disconnected. But unless a bunch of people start doing the same thing within your IP range, youll more than likely get the same IP dynamically assigned again.

What you're facing was a system that dynamically assigns a single IP address to the MAC that is on a particular VCI. Where the old PPPoE system had a multiple overlapping IP pool for each VCI, which is why you could power cycle and get a new dynamic IP.

Incidentally, even having a new MAC address (ie, different modem) after the 1 hour IP lease does not guarantee a new IP.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Duhhhh :

This is easy - Under Sprint the customer was PPPoE and at some point due to upgrade or modem replacement he was changed to Dynamic IPoE. When he talked to tech support, twice, he would of been informed that he could not change his IP if it was a Static (he also came back and said he doesn't have a Static IP).
The switch from PPPoE to DHCP was a pre-Embarq change.
It doesn't surprise me that a Tier 1 agent, or even a Tier 2 agent wouldn't know how to do this.
It seems like a kinda silly issue to me though. Unless a malicious hacker is specifically going after you and has your IP, I don't see why one would care what their IP is.

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan

Anon

Personal reasons, that I do not need to discuss with anyone. All that talk about putting my modem into bridge mode, etc, really confused me. I wouldn't know where to start.

Why is this such a hassle? I miss sprint, embarq just isn't doing the job.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Jordan :

Personal reasons, that I do not need to discuss with anyone. All that talk about putting my modem into bridge mode, etc, really confused me. I wouldn't know where to start.

All of these things have absolutely nothing to do with Sprint vs. Embarq. Had you tried this very thing pre-Embarq you would have had the same results.
The problem seems to be that you want to do something (seemingly for absolutely no reason) and don't have the technical know-how to do it. Why is that Embarq's fault?

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to Jordan

to Jordan
said by Jordan :

Personal reasons, that I do not need to discuss with anyone.
Sounds like either:
a) spammer
b) hacker
c) pirate

(or a combo thereof).

Mod's please lock this thread. We don't need anon's going off into gray territory here.

}Davoice

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

No reason needs to be given. No matter what the OP is up to, the question that is being asked is not something that is illegal.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Jordan

MVM

to Jordan
said by Jordan :

Embarq is, primarily, in the business of selling connectivity. If you are getting connectivity, you are getting what you are paying for.

Forcing an IP address change when you are the user is a hassle because you are going against the network design.

On my LAN at home, I use MAC reservation for assigning IP addresses. A user can't force a new IP address unless they change the MAC address on the NIC connecting to the router.

Presumably, Embarq is using MAC authentication. The DHCP servers, by design, tend to assign the same IP address to the same MAC address, within the lease time for the IP address assignment. If your IP address lease assignment is for 7 days, you need to leave your CPE in an unpowered state for at least 7 days to, maybe, get a new IP address assigned. Whatever equipment has the MAC address the Embarq DHCP server is checking, on that equipment you would have to change the MAC address to force a new IP address with certainty.

Yes, that is a hassle. But that is the way that the Embarq engineers have designed their network. As long as they are getting you to the Internet, they are doing what you pay them for doing. Most users don't care about their IP address, so you will have to jump through whatever hoops are necessary to "game" the system.
gh4456
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

gh4456 to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan
Are you using a 3rd party router, or just the sprint router? Basically you need to change your Mac address - wait an hour and get a new ip. If you are using a 3rd party router, just use the clone IP tool and make up a MAC. If you are using just the dsl router, you could bridge it and let your computer have the ip assigned to it. If you are already doing that, you can use a prog call macshift to change your mac address on your pc. ( »devices.natetrue.com/macshift/ )

Best of luck!
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to davoice

to davoice
I'd add
d) - gamer that pissed off some admins who block by IP address

I'd also add that it is highly unlikely that you'll get a different IP address, given the dynamics of most residential DSL users (not much changing for any DSLAM), and in ANY event it would be impossible to get an IP with a different network (gateway/subnet), unless by some chance you tried changing exactly when they were re-configuring your particular DSLAM/ CO setup.
Josh8
join:2006-05-26
Dillwyn, VA

Josh8 to Jordan

to Jordan
Yeah, getting a new IP has proven to be a pain here. I've had the same IP ever since I signed up for DSL service 6 months ago. :P

Release/renew, reboot, etc. Same IP.
Expand your moderator at work

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan

Re: How do I change my ip address?

I got a new IP address recently but I'm not sure how it happened. I noticed it when I went to look at my line monitor and it was blank.

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

Dezbend

MVM

It has been awhile so I am not sure if it has changed with the conversion to DHCP, but it used to be if you changed speeds the IP address would be reassigned. Its a big pain, but you might up or down your speed for a few days and then go back...

it shouldn't affect your term as the term applies to the service not the speed, but it has the potential to mess up your bill {they billing system thinks things should stay on your account at least 30 days)

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

1 edit

Titus

said by Dezbend:

It has been awhile so I am not sure if it has changed with the conversion to DHCP, but it used to be if you changed speeds the IP address would be reassigned. Its a big pain, but you might up or down your speed for a few days and then go back...

it shouldn't affect your term as the term applies to the service not the speed, but it has the potential to mess up your bill {they billing system thinks things should stay on your account at least 30 days)
This evidently still works. My upgrade from 1500 to 3000 took place sometime between bedtime last night and this morning. The speed is right at 3000 and the original IP I pulled (and kept since signing up) changed as well. I went from the 76.1.x.x block to the 71.48.x.x block.

I did have to reboot in order to gain connectivity.

EDIT: I did have to reboot the modem in order to gain connectivity.

JoeMamma
What Ever He Said
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Lewisberry, PA

JoeMamma to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan
You could always configure the modem to use pppoe and then use your EarthLink email and password. This would pull an ip from the pppoe pool instead of the DHCP pool. A few days later reset the modem and you should have a new DHCP ip.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan
It's been awhile since I've had Sprint (now Embarq) DSL, so I'm not sure if this works, but if you can change your router's MAC address, you should be good to go.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 edit

Sly to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan
My IP changed when I bridged my modem and then changed my Windows IP to be able to log onto it. While I was logged onto the bridged modem the WAN went down. The modem has no WAN connectivity when it is in this state. I messed around with the diagnostic tests and then when I rebooted, it came up with a new IP.

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan to Jordan

Anon

to Jordan
I'm sorry, but just because I do not want to give my reasoning for changing my ip address doesn't mean I'm a malicious hacker. Infact, I know absoulutely nothing about any of that.

I could reset my modem before embarq came into the picture, and I was able to get a new ip address every time.

Also, I am not using a router. The Embarq 660 series modem is connected directly to my computer. However, If I do the following:

Run ---> Command ---> ipconfig /all

It shows me that my ip address is 192.168.2.2

A fellow gamer of mine told me that this was a very well known router ip address. I do not believe I have a router. I do however have a brand new computer, a dell E521.

When I go to www.whatismyipaddress.com it shows me my ip address, which is not 192.168.2.2

---------------------------------------------------------

I also have done the following:

Run ---> Command ---> Ipconfig /release ---> exit
--->shut down modem ---> shut down computer

I waited two days

Then turned on the modem and then turned on the computer

I went to www.whatismyipaddrses.com

It still showed me the same ip address.

BTW, the embarq rep's that I talked to told me that my lease was for 3600.

That's all they told me was 3600, so me and the embarq rep concluded that it must mean 3600 hours.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Your modem is a one port router. The modem has a LAN IP (IP on the interface that goes out to the internet i.e. the phone jack interface) of the one you showed at whatismyipaddrses.com On the LAN side the modem has an IP of 192.168.2.1. Your computer has an IP of 192.168.2.2 that is given to you by the router part of the modem.
The DSLAM is reading the MAC address off your modem and is looking at that to pass you an IP address. If you bridge the modem it will remove the router part of the modem. Your computer will then have the public IP address. The DSLAM will see your computer's network card's MAC and think it's a new device and hand it a new IP.
If none of this makes sense to you then you should probably grab a beginners guide to networking book. It will explain a lot.
If you don't know how to "bridge" a modem or how to do any of the things listed you can find out how by browsing the FAQ.

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan to Jordan

Anon

to Jordan
Thank you very much!

I will check out that FAQ guide
gh4456
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

gh4456 to Jordan

Premium Member

to Jordan
said by Jordan :

That's all they told me was 3600, so me and the embarq rep concluded that it must mean 3600 hours.
Its actually 3600 seconds, which is 1 hour

You must not have a whole lot of people on DSL in your area b/c if you turned off your modem for 2 days, and then turned it back on, you would have most certainly pulled a new IP.

Jordan
@embarqhsd.net

Jordan to Jordan

Anon

to Jordan
Apparently I don't. I have turned it off for a 2 day span, and it did not give me a new ip. I have tried programs to change my ip, and numerous other things. Once the 11th rolls around, charter is sending technicians to check if our signal is strong enough for us to have charter cable. If it is, we are switching.