Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

The One Page Linux Manual

downloadManual do Linux.zip 59,958 bytes
(Manual do Linux.pdf)
A friend emailed me this, its a PDF containing a summary of useful Linux commands. I thought other Newbies (line me ) would find it usefull

kkb
Object of the Panopticon

join:2000-06-11
Colorado
Thank you, from a fellow newbie.

Post Modern$

join:2001-09-18
Springfield, MA
reply to Maranello
Thank you from another newbie...

PM

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
reply to Maranello
No problem, anything I find that might help out I will post. I like cheat sheets

davidsmind
The Eye's Mind
Premium
join:2001-07-04
Canada
Meh RANT! I dislike the idea of a cheat sheet, considering you all have cheat sheets on your machine already, it's called 'MAN'. Don't get me wrong man is not very nice looking nor does it explain everything, but whatever man leaves out 'INFO' takes time to include in a nice lynx like UI. The other problem with cheat sheets is that they don't go into detail on the danger of using certain commands, as ROOT you can kill your system with most of the commands listed on there. If you are a N008 use cheat sheets at your own demise.
--
"Why doesn't Lynx display TrueType fonts?"

ETHunter$
Destroyer Of Worlds

join:2001-01-11
England
David..I understand the concerns you have posted, but for those just getting into Linux then perhaps the best way to learn how NOT to do something is to crash the system and so learn the right way..

Hard lessons are remembered, soft ones oft forgot..

davidsmind
The Eye's Mind
Premium
Canada
Still I find the lack of willingness of the wee *nix ones sad really, plus I still think a manpage is a lot more accurate. Another beef with the one page Linux manual is that its two pages! All joking aside Things like the xconfigurator are dangorus, not only two your software but can destroy your monitor and video card aswell. SO HEED MY WARNING! take what's on this sheet more as a checklist for things you should learn more about, hell print it out and check off the things you've read the MAN and INFO pages for. (OT) Btw it's great to see you (back?) on this forum, ETHunter.
--

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
said by davidsmind:
Still I find the lack of willingness of the wee *nix ones sad really,
First dont read this thinking Im angry at all... Im not. I do understand where you are coming from, honest. I would never use any of the items listed on the PDF before I know what it does. Its just nice to have a cheat sheet handy so your not flipping through 2000+ pages to find a command. Believe me when I say its killing me not knowing what Im doing yet. I downloaded the Mosfet Liquid and its sitting in my home folder in all its tar.gz glory waisting space because I have absolutely no clue how in the world to install it (yes I did read the read me... still clueless). Did windows spoil me? YES. It was so easy to download an exe and double click it. The only typing you have to do in Win98 is "msconfig" (and ctrl+alt+delete ) so Linux is a very new and confusing world for me. I just figured out how to download updates (rpm's) from Mandrake the other day. It took me three days to get my Linux partition to connect to the internet through the D-Link router. I bought the books (hell spent more on books than I did the OS) I visit every Linux related page to pick up on as many facts as I can. I am determined to learn this. I am far from being "unwilling"

Zuhaib
King Of Fools
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2000-06-29
San Francisco, CA
reply to davidsmind
David, Cool it.. =D
When you are a Linux NewBie, moving from a World that is run by GUI (Be that Mac or Windows), it can be very hard. When i made the Move to Linux, I did it after using windows for a long time, and wanted to see what was all this talk about this "Hackers" OS.
Now, i started Linux with Corel(sp?) at First, then to RedHat. I never used a Book or a Cheat Sheet, just trial and error (I have reinstalled Linux More times then Windows! But then again, all the reasons for it was because i was playing with some new "Toy"). But when i tell someone to get in to the Linux World, A sheet like that is not Bad, or is a Book. Most people i tell them to go out, Buy a New Hard Drive (It is much more Better to Install another OS on a new Hard Drive), Book. I learned without any real book, my only book was "man" and linuxdoc.org.
Some people need different ways to learn thing, and just because you did one way, dose not mean it is going to work for you.
--
I am Pakistani
And No! I do not own a 7/11! And my NAME is not Apu!

davidsmind
The Eye's Mind
Premium
Canada
I'm sorry if any of my past post sounded like flame, for that was not there intended purpose. Most of my comments were not made spesifically for you Maranello, nor were they to be ingnored by you. All I was really trying to say is that using that sheet would probebly get a n008 nowhere, and I mean nowhere! If they are logged in as a normal user and type 'rpm -Uvh packagename' as the sheet suggests, they get lovley messages like these:

"error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm"

I wouldn't recommend this sheet for newbies, but I would reccommend this for people who have been using Linux for a few months. That's all i'm saying.
--

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
I do understand what your saying and I didnt take it like a flame

Crypto5
Premium
join:2001-01-07
Saint Charles, MO

reply to davidsmind
Dave. Chill. I've been doing this professionally for almost a decade. You know what? Cheat sheets rock. I've got one for vi RIGHT HERE ON MY WALL AT WORK.

If you're sole purpose is to internalize every possible syntax for every command installed on your box, then fine. yell at people for using a cheat sheet.

The rest of the world uses them on a regular basis. I sure do. Every admin I know has at least one cheat sheet.

If you want to call people newbies, that's fine. But if they are newbies, then they probably dont know what a noob is, and they DEFINITELY cannot decrypt your leetspeek "N008".

If you want to be a jerk, do it on IRC with your l337 h4x0r friends. The sheet was posted as a helpful tip, and this forum has no room for either 13375p34k or arrogance.

[text was edited by author 2001-11-08 17:31:00]

Eric
Animals Rule This Land
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-29
I see trees.
Well stated bellers.

grantwal

join:2000-11-01
Hixson, TN
reply to Maranello
Thanks for the cheat sheet!

I know I need to know all the commands, but at this time I'm trying to gather the courage to do a full repartition on my HD. I'm currently trying to get a good Win ME compatable Linux so I can get my feet wet without blowing out a bunch of my M$ files. Once I'm confident that I can get around in Linux I'll jump in with both feet.

Until then all the help I can get is welcomed with open arms.
--
Grant Wallace
Hixson, TN
Happy @Home user since April 2001

Let's face it, none of us are getting out of this life alive.

davidsmind
The Eye's Mind
Premium
Canada

reply to Crypto5
Why do you think I am not "chill", those past posts were friendly warnings nothing more. You have totally mis-interpreted what I said, a cheat sheet for vi is somthing completly different then a "One Page Linux Manual". I have seen many-a-N008 (yeah so what I use H4X0R S933K, I have been for quite some time now, and I don't intend on stopping) come here with high hopes, then they screw up there systems and blame there OS. The one thing I wanted to get across was "NEWBIES" should not look at this sheet as some sort of all inclusive refrence manual, In fact they shouldn't look at it at all, there are many a thing on there that can be seriosly detrimental to one's computer. Having said that, I loved this sheet and printed it out on my wall, *BUT* I still think it's no good for newbies.

I hold no anamosity for you Maranello for posting this so called "One Page Linux Manual", or Bellers for critisizing me or the writer of this cheat sheet:). I don't think any of you are wrong I just think this kind of document should not be taken without warning ^_^
--

[text was edited by author 2001-11-08 14:09:56]

hullboy
Premium
join:2000-12-21
Oakland, CA
reply to Maranello
That's good man!

...from another newbie who just recently woke-up (from Windows)

Thanks!

haze9

join:2000-09-28
Syracuse, NY
reply to Maranello
Cheat sheets? I had "DOS for Dummies", "Windows for Dummies" and I'll take all the Cheat sheets for Linux that I can get. I really don't want to memorize all these commands if i can just look them up real quick. I have read some "man" pages and understand (sort of) what I'm doing but like I said, I just can not memorize all those commands.

Crypto5
Premium
join:2001-01-07
Saint Charles, MO
I guess I should weigh back in with something constructive instead of just being a jerk. I owe it to this place.

When asking "how many UNIX commands must I learn?" There is a simple (If a bit Zen-like of an) answer:

As many as are required to get your work done

For an end user who will just be web browsing and listening to mp3's, you wont need many.

Keep in mind your newest UNIX Brethren, the OS X users, who dont even have a link to get to the command shell in the deault OS X installation. They have to dig for it. So you see, there are *some* unices for which a command prompt may not be necessary at all!

On the other hand, I probably use quite a bit more UNIX commands in my daily doings than most end users.

On the other other hand, I know that some of the real gurus in here, like Friedl, have forgotten more UNIX than I'll ever know.

I guess what I'm saying is this: If your goal is to become an expert, you probably should learn as many commands as possible, if that's what you desire from UNIX. But as UNIX becomes a viable end-user operating system, there are more and more people who dont usually want to learn every possible command line arg that can be piped through sendmail. They just want a computer that doesnt call Redmond every 10 minutes. Will you give them URL's to helpful cheat sheets? Or will you forever spurn them as n008s?

In closing, UNIX commands are not Pokemon.

You don't have to catch them all.
--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
said by bellers:
As many as are required to get your work done
This is right on the money. I suppose that memorizing boatloads of UNIX commands might make one a hit with the ladies in some circles, but it sure as hell never worked for me.

Learning concepts is a lot more important than learning details, because you can always look up which option does this or that. In addition, once you start working on multiple platforms, each of which might work a little differently, remembering that it's -a instead of -b is a minor benefit.

When I was a UNIX newbie in 1981, I spent my time reading the UNIX man pages at night before bed. Not only did this insure no distractions from any kind of "social life", but it also gave me a big-picture idea of what kinds of commands were out there. I didn't even think about memorizing options - it would have been pointless. Instead I simply noted what kinds of facilities were available, so later on I would say "Hey, I know I saw a command for something like this". Then I'd be able to look it up and be the clever fellow. One of the jokers in the VAX room got me a T-shirt that said "system manual".

Your brain can only hold so much stuff, so I'd much rather know the difference between the various kinds of disk partitions than know which fdisk options requested them.

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl / Software Consultant / Tustin, California USA / »www.unixwiz.net

Ionut1

join:2001-05-31
Cleveland, OH
reply to Maranello
Hey this manual have 2 pages not 1.