MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure

2 recommendations

mouseferatu

MVM

[FP] Board Only Thread re: The Purchase of Two New Blades

This is a BOD only thread, please.

The Board has two issues that we should discuss, so that we can bring a vote to the entire membership of the Foldinator Project.

1) A proposal should be drafted to purchase two (2) new Intel core 2 duo blades to replace/upgrade aging equipment.

See: »Re: Keep your eyes open - Tis the season to upgrade(Frys)

2) We should probably deploy said equipment in the manner proposed by Pinhead.

See: »Re: Keep your eyes open - Tis the season to upgrade(Frys)

The entire thread is here: »Keep your eyes open - Tis the season to upgrade(Frys)

Discussion is open concerning the particulars of both aspects of this.

RPM Jack
MVM
join:2001-07-19
USA

RPM Jack

MVM

I wholeheartedly support purchasing two new blades, and that configuration is acceptable. I would prefer to buy an acceptable configuration now rather than wait X amount of time to determine the "perfect" configuration; the IT world changes too much and too quickly to wait for the perfect configuration.

I have no objections to the proposed distribution of the new systems, although I am uncertain that it provides enough cost relief to usa2k.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to mouseferatu

MVM

to mouseferatu

Re: [FP] Board Only Thread re: The Purchase of Two New Blades

I endorse the proposal.

LATER, ... we can work out the rest
NOW, ... this looks like good bang for the buck.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to mouseferatu

to mouseferatu

I don't have a problem with any of that.

I will say as an FYI that I am going out of town for most of the second half of December, with no 'net access, so if there is any treasurering that needs to be done with regards to these purchases, we can either get it done in the next few days, or wait until I get back... just something to keep in mind. I'm not sure how much of a hurry everyone is in to get this particular ball rolling, or if it is OK to wait a couple of weeks.

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs to mouseferatu

MVM

to mouseferatu
I endorse the proposal, in general, also.

While I have no problem at all with Pinhead's distribution, I will say that if we could secure just one new operator with one new board, I am always happy to keep the boards I have running until their legs fall off. It's true that three of the boards have now been running for well over three years, but I think that there's some life left in them. If no new operator can be found, of course a new, replacement board will increase production. (I just don't have the space to add another board.)

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
MVM
Im not sure

1 edit

mouseferatu to Sarah

MVM

to Sarah
I know that we are hitting the holidays, Sarah, and we will need to work to everyone's convenience. I just didn't want to start this any later... the open thread has been in the FP forum long enough for folks to comment if they wanted to.

I think the important thing is to be sure that everyone on the BOD is on the same track, and that we get a proposal out for folks to vote on.

We are talking about a sizable investment, and want to be sure that the majority of the FP members feel that their money is being well allocated.

Edit: Grammar

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind

1 edit

Gizmo to mouseferatu

MVM

to mouseferatu
I have no objections to the proposed purchase and deployment of the new equipment.

TwoFrogs
Times Fun when You're Having Flies
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Redlands, CA

TwoFrogs to RPM Jack

MVM

to RPM Jack
said by RPM Jack:

I have no objections to the proposed distribution of the new systems, although I am uncertain that it provides enough cost relief to usa2k.
Upon further consideration I have to say that I agree with RPM Jack See Profile's observation. Jim (usa2k See Profile) has certainly given much more than any one of us in terms of dedication of time, electricity, physical space, and attention to the project. Sending two new boards to Jim would alleviate some of that burden. Even if some of his boards were retired I think that there would be a net gain in production. As I said earlier, I think that the boards I have will keep on chuggin' along for some time.

mouseferatu
MVM
Im not sure

mouseferatu

MVM

That could be a viable option, TwoFrogs See Profile. It would, however, leave you running the older blades, which are certainly the most expensive to run in terms of return per blade.

At a later date, we will need to address the ultimate redeployment or disposal of the ones that are taken out of commission.

I will try to put together a reasonably worded proposal this afternoon so you folks can decide what you want to revise or change before it goes to the membership for a final vote.
mouseferatu

mouseferatu

MVM

Sorry for the delay... I had a very long work day (and evening) today.

I would think that something to this effect could be voted on by the entire membership:

Proposal: That the Foldinator Project (FP) buy two new blades, Intel Core 2 duo,
to upgrade equipment being currently run by the FP.

Each member member would need to send a "yes" or "no" vote to two BOD members- I will be around for the next few weeks, and am sure that one of you also will be.

It would be good if we either got this out for a vote by this weekend and left it open until January 3, or waited until the 2nd of January, so that folks have a chance to vote sometime other than between Christmas and New Year's Day. Many folks may be out of town then.

Comments and improvements on that proposal are welcome, please, as is any input on a preferred date to hold a general vote.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by mouseferatu:

Proposal: That the Foldinator Project (FP) buy two new blades,
Intel Core 2 duo, to upgrade equipment being currently run by the FP.

Simply put, and I say we propose it.

RPM Jack
MVM
join:2001-07-19
USA

RPM Jack

MVM

Sounds good - I support the proposal. I agree, many people will be out of pocket next week, so I support keeping the vote open until after January 2.

mouseferatu
MVM
Im not sure

mouseferatu

MVM

If we have no changes or revisions that require discussion, this meeting will close Friday, December 22, at approximately 7:00 PM EST.

That proposal will go to the membership for a vote on December 23, 2006, to remain open until 9:00 PM EST January 3, 2007.

The membership can send one vote, "yes" or "no" to me, and one to usa2k See Profile.

Gizmo
MVM
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

Gizmo to mouseferatu

MVM

to mouseferatu

said by mouseferatu:

Proposal: That the Foldinator Project (FP) buy two new blades, Intel Core 2 duo,
to upgrade equipment being currently run by the FP.

Do we need to put a price tag on this proposal?

If not, let's run with it!

mouseferatu
MVM
Im not sure

mouseferatu

MVM

»Re: Keep your eyes open - Tis the season to upgrade(Frys)

If we are looking at something like the set-up mentioned in the first post, we would be at approximately $490/ blade without the power supply.

Do we need to state something like ".... buy two new blades, Intel Core 2 Duo, costing no more than $550 each", etc.?

Obviously, we can not spend more than we have, or more than will allow us to have some reserve to handle op needs for emergency replacement parts. I figure however we put things, we should keep to a simple proposal so folks are sure what they are actually voting for.

If Sarah happens to get around a computer, perhaps she can give us an account balance. But, I think that she is on vacation, and may be unable to do so at this point.

Gizmo
MVM
In Your Mind
ARRIS NVG589

1 edit

Gizmo

MVM

said by mouseferatu:

I figure however we put things, we should keep to a simple proposal so folks are sure what they are actually voting for.
No need to change your original suggested proposal. Keeping it simple is okay with me.

meeow
I'm a little spacey
MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

meeow to mouseferatu

MVM

to mouseferatu
opps