how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon63452

@comcast.net

3 edits

Comcast usage "Abuse"?

Well, I got a call today from Comcast. It was a message with "time sensitive" information for me and to call an (856) area code number. Of course I call that number to learn it's their Network Abuse line or what have you, but nobody was there now. So, I assume they're going to say I'm using the service too much. My usage lately hasn't increased from what it was, even if it was high, so not sure why this is a problem now.

And to think, just last night I had those mysterious stable (not powerboost) speeds of 2.5meg/second.

Mod Note: See also these topics --->
»Booted from Comcast
»comcast upload limits?

Please refrain from negative descriptions of other participants here. We're not talking about people. The topic is related to Comcast's bandwidth abuse policies.

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
Are you downloading anything illegal that violates copyright laws? Usually they send a DMCA notice for that though. Are you hosting a public server or anything else that violates the DMCA?
--
Serenity Day - June 23rd 2006. You Can't Stop the Signal

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
reply to anon63452
No point in speculation...let us know what they say when you call back tomorrow.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

anon63452

@comcast.net
The only thing it could be is the magically invisible speed cap. I just posted this to see if this is their M.O. If they've complained to others about excessive use, is this how they went about it?

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to snipper_cr
said by snipper_cr:

Are you downloading anything illegal that violates copyright laws? Usually they send a DMCA notice for that though. Are you hosting a public server or anything else that violates the DMCA?
i thought you couldn't get busted for downloading-only sharing
--
»never pay full price for high speed again!!!

anon63452

@comcast.net
I'm sure ISPs don't care what you download, as long as they get their money. Clearly, if someone complains about copyrighted stuff they will pass that info on to you though.

WhoCares

@comcast.net
reply to anon63452
Got Same Call 3 days ago. So they back to there magical you downloading 300 times more then regular user , crap. Great , now we got to watch for more people to complain , so they can stop like last time ?

anon63452

@comcast.net
So that's how it "went down?" They called you like that? And still, who knows what is "excessive" right?

I was just worried they're going to tell me somebody is doing something wrong from my IP.

WhoCares

@comcast.net
reply to anon63452
Well i was told my usage is 300 times over regular user , without telling me what it is. Well i wish someone can tell Comcast Unlimited internet means Unlimited. This is not 10Mb a month Limit for $20 on your Cell phone EVDO.
I can imagine how many people would drop there Mobile Carriers if they start calling people with free weekend and nights and tell them you talking to much on weekend and at night you have to limit it to 300 times less.
With all the video and radio out there and more then 2-3 computers per household Comcast is totally out of day on this.

rob2006

join:2006-11-07
Austell, GA
well comcast never sayed its unlimited. on the tos. maybe you got confuse with dsl ? like bellsouth ? they careless w/e you do lol

WhoCares

@comcast.net
ok good , so if its not unlimited , what is this magical number ?

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
reply to WhoCares
said by WhoCares :

Well i wish someone can tell Comcast Unlimited internet means Unlimited.
Please, for the love of Pete, please show me where Comcast says it is unlimited. In the TOS? Nope. Advertising? Nope. Am I missing something?
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

rob2006

Austell, GA
it don't.

all i see is this

# Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other limitations Use of the Comcast network infrastructure in a manner that (i) exceeds the then current bandwidth, data storage or other limitations on the Comcast High-Speed Internet service or (ii) puts an excessive burden on the limitations of the network. Examples include: Using the Comcast network to run a Web-hosting server or any other commercial enterprise.

WhoCares

@comcast.net
reply to Big_D
said by Big_D:

said by WhoCares :

Well i wish someone can tell Comcast Unlimited internet means Unlimited.
Please, for the love of Pete, please show me where Comcast says it is unlimited. In the TOS? Nope. Advertising? Nope. Am I missing something?
Well , Since Comcast does not sets hard limit like Mobile Cell Phone Companies do, the Unlimited Internet is implied but not guaranteed.

rob2006

Austell, GA
well they don't need to set a limit. all depends on custumer and usage.

rob2006

Austell, GA
but usually if your using more then 10 gb every single day for 30 days = 300 gb /month. downstream.

also nothing in this life is unlimited. everything has a limit
some point.

anon63452

@comcast.net
reply to anon63452
I guess I'm just surprised why now it's an issue for me as I've probably been using it the same amount. They did put that caveat in their TOS about "degrading" the network so they no longer claim unlimited. Just wondering how they'll enforce this as they move to higher tiers, things like XBOX hd movie downloads,etc....if anything, the "cap" should be higher as the average user is likey using more.

WhoCares

@comcast.net
reply to rob2006
said by rob2006:

well they don't need to set a limit. all depends on custumer and usage.
You right , its much cheaper for Comcast to have a Grandparents who barely using there connection with single computer. or me , Family of 4 with 5 computers , working from home 50% of the time and using all i can find for FREE on inet including FREE RADIO , FREE VIDEO , FREE PICTURES , FREE NEWS and paying extra $40 for extra ips and bandwidth. sure i can see whats wrong with that picture.

b1gdr3
I Blame Your Mother

join:2001-07-28
York, PA
reply to anon63452
Again we have people that think they should pay one price and leech to their hearts content

bandwidth isn't free to Comcast, and this isn't a buffet
--
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.

anon63452

@comcast.net
reply to anon63452
Oh, just to be clear I am not complaining about Comcast saying I'm "overusing" bandwidth. Just curious as to how, if this is a first warning and they don't have a hard limit...well, I won't know if I've broken their imaginary line until they shut of my connection, right?

Who knows, maybe they are calling me for a different reason (they didn't call back yet). Just last night my connection was a steady insane speed. Tonight it is a steady around 19 Mbps (over 2MBps). Perhaps they think I uncapped my modem or something...or it was just a strange coincidence and they are fiddling with their network as these speeds are amazing. Heh, or they just want me to pass the iamgianry line quicker!

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to b1gdr3
said by b1gdr3:

and that's why comcast charges $45/month for use of their bandwidth
--
»never pay full price for high speed again!!!

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18
said by fonzbear2000:

said by b1gdr3:

and that's why comcast charges $45/month for use of their bandwidth
Yes, to a reasonable limit.

Morty7
Premium
reply to anon63452
said by anon63452 :

Heh, or they just want me to pass the iamgianry line quicker!
Ok, this issue has been brought up many times before.

Just because you have a faster car, DOESN'T mean you will drive farther.

anon63452

@comcast.net
Ummm, of course but you will arrive sooner. My speed has tripled for some reason hence if I wished I could download three times as much in the same time period as before.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to anon63452
said by anon63452 :

Well, I got a call today from Comcast. It was a message with "time sensitive" information for me and to call an (856) area code number. Of course I call that number to learn it's their Network Abuse line or what have you, but nobody was there now. So, I assume they're going to say I'm using the service too much. My usage lately hasn't increased from what it was, even if it was high, so not sure why this is a problem now.

And to think, just last night I had those mysterious stable (not powerboost) speeds of 2.5meg/second.
I'd be pretty suspious of a request to call a non 800 number.
I'm sure comcast can afford all the inbound toll-free numbers they need to talk to any of their customers about their accounts.

Morty7
Premium
said by tshirt:

said by anon63452 :

I'd be pretty suspious of a request to call a non 800 number.
I'm sure comcast can afford all the inbound toll-free numbers they need to talk to any of their customers about their accounts.
The abuse number is not a 1-800 number, and it isn't customer service.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
reply to anon63452
From what I've seen Comcast has a tendency to crack down on their higher bandwidth users right before a speed upgrade.

So what part of the country are you in?

(Everyone wants to know where to expect the speed boost! )
--
Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali invites you to wear a burqa for peace.
Expand your moderator at work

slo mo

@gte.net
reply to WhoCares

Re: Comcast usage "Abuse"?

I wonder if they are calling the people who use only 1/300 of the average amount of bandwidth and giving them refunds?

PloKoon
Bumper Sticker Doctrine

join:2002-01-06
Cherry Hill, NJ
reply to AthlGrond
said by AthlGrond:

From what I've seen Comcast has a tendency to crack down on their higher bandwidth users right before a speed upgrade.

So what part of the country are you in?

(Everyone wants to know where to expect the speed boost! )
(856) is southwestern NJ
--
Real change happens when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing.