spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ColeStorm
join:2001-07-20
Minneapolis, MN

ColeStorm

This is complete and utter BS

Verizon shares are only $3 off their 52 week high and about $6 off their 52 week low. These dumb ass analysts need to come to sites like this and see how happy people are with their Fios connection. This is complete BS. I am a Verizon shareholder and the ONLY thing keeping me in this stock is the hope of a pay-off in the future. Until then I will collect my %4.5 dividend and feel good everytime I read a glowing review here.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by ColeStorm:

Verizon shares are only $3 off their 52 week high and about $6 off their 52 week low. These dumb ass analysts need to come to sites like this and see how happy people are with their Fios connection. This is complete BS. I am a Verizon shareholder and the ONLY thing keeping me in this stock is the hope of a pay-off in the future. Until then I will collect my %4.5 dividend and feel good everytime I read a glowing review here.
And I think that's where their issue lies, they don't want hope, they want guaranteed payoff and as I can see, they aren't seeing it right now.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to ColeStorm

Premium Member

to ColeStorm
Those articles are written mostly for day traders.

Investors buy and hold stocks that will move over the long term. Sure, the day traders will sell, but the investors will hold this one.

As you said, the stock carries a %4.5 dividend, and is a solid company. Institutionals also love stocks that pay a dividend. I see them holding VZ over the long term.

I don't see Verizon slowing fiber deployment at this point. Seidenberg knew from go that FiOS deployment would impact the stock price, and so far the impact is small considering the coin they're laying out. It took a lot of balls to go in the direction they did, I don't think a few bucks here or there on the price is going to make them balk.

I hope the stock would drop some more, I would love to pick up a couple shares on the 52 week low and let it sit....

MadMANN3
Premium Member
join:2005-08-19

1 recommendation

MadMANN3 to ColeStorm

Premium Member

to ColeStorm
said by ColeStorm:

Well, not ALL reviews are glowing:

»[northeast] I'm tired of Verizon FIOS BS!

»Verizon order "on hold" because they didn't lay the fiber?

»Is this typical of Fios tech suppt?

»Lost order... grrrrrrrrr.

I posted these links to another forum as an example just to show that FIOS has just as many problems as any other service.

However, I do think that they are jumping the gun with this story. To say that they are "doomed" is a little extreme. Even I know that!

One thing is for sure, if Verizon DOESN'T keep doing what they are doing with FIOS, they are sure to bankrupt their POTS system. They are damned either way. They either don't deploy fiber and definitely sink, or they deploy fiber and either become successful or die trying.

Personally, I don't think Verizon is going anywhere as a company. Even if their land services fail, in my opinion, they are the best wireless provider in the market. That in itself could carry them a long way as long as they don't loose their ass to the point of no return with this project.

There's a long road ahead, ck8. But as a human being, notwithstanding my obvious profession, I wish you luck in your financial endeavors. May you retire comfortably!

Fios Love
@swbell.net

Fios Love

Anon

Who cares? Vz Cash-Flow Alone is Enough

Click for full size
They don't need wall street -- look at their $7 BILLION cash flow! They might need to slow down a little -- but they'll be fine.
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr to ColeStorm

to ColeStorm

Re: This is complete and utter BS

said by ColeStorm:

I am a Verizon shareholder and the ONLY thing keeping me in this stock is the hope of a pay-off in the future.
Isn't that the point of buying stock?

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to MadMANN3

Premium Member

to MadMANN3
Dont make me go back into that hell hole of a comcast forum and begin pulling your complaints. I'd never finish.

Comcast is slow in the evening, it goes out when it rains, customer support is hell and in India. Technicians like to use customer beds for sleep too.

Every example you cited before are just examples of small mistakes and process problems. Comcast and for that matter most other ISP's have bigger issues.
deadzoned
Premium Member
join:2005-04-13
Cypress, TX

deadzoned to MadMANN3

Premium Member

to MadMANN3
I think it would be impossible to find a case in which people don't complain about something. People complain, that's what they do. Nothing is perfect and nothing is smooth from beginning to end of any process or service.

Anyway, I think you are right, these guys seem to be calling something a certain way a little too early in the game.

Verizon is ahead of the game and will see huge gains if they continue their current strategy. Investors screaming for immediate profits based on what's being spent is definitely going to be a factor. It remains to be seen if they can prove to their investors that this will pay off in the future.

The current state of Broadband stinks in this country and I am not sure much will change any time soon. When you take that into account, I could see Verizon failing because they seem to be the only major player that is willing to at least "attempt" to deploy Broadband in the right way, even if it is in a really limited way right now.

The other major players seem content with stop gap measures and strategies, which is good for profit in the short term but bad for everyone in many ways in the long term.

That's the thing I never understood about this whole thing. It's like the Cable/Phone companies don't care at all about the state of Broadband in this country. I mean do they not see anything positive in looking forward and deploying next-generation Broadband right now so we can start becoming a Major Broadband Player as a Country again? How can this not lead to a windfall in profits for them? I thought you had to spend money to make money in the business world. Is that not true anymore?

operagost
join:1999-08-02
Spring City, PA

operagost to ihatedslr

to ihatedslr
Not the only one. Sometime the dividends are good.

MadMANN3
Premium Member

MadMANN3 to NOCMan

Premium Member

to NOCMan
said by NOCMan:

Dont make me go back into that hell hole of a comcast forum and begin pulling your complaints. I'd never finish.

Every example you cited before are just examples of small mistakes and process problems. Comcast and for that matter most other ISP's have bigger issues.
Yeah and Comcast alone has 30 MILLION + customers. Fios has about 400 THOUSAND. I could have pulled more, but I've got a life, too.

My point is, is that every service has their problems. As FIOS grows in customer base numbers, so will their complaints. It's just the nature of the communications business in general.
Comcast is slow in the evening,
Fios can be slow too:

»[northeast] FIOS service lame in my area!!
customer support is hell and in India.
HaHA! You're kidding right? They are NOT in India! Their support is all in America. Just because some support people have an accent doesn't mean they are in a foreign country. As far as the actual support goes, see one of the links I posted about Verizon's tech support. Support problems can and will be an issue for ALL communications companies. Again, it's the nature.
Technicians like to use customer beds for sleep too.
There are bad apples in every bunch. They got caught and were fired. I personally saw a Verizon tech take a piss in someone's yard in broad daylight, too.
it goes out when it rains
That's not a nationwide issue. I could just as easily say that FIOS goes out when a squirrel chews on the fiber or when it storms, FIOS can go out when their backup power goes out.

With the rain issue, if it happens to several hundred or thousand people spread out all over the country, there are plant or drop issues that need fixed individually in those individual sytems. It's not a natural issue like it is with satellite TV service. I and hundreds of thousands of others experience not even a hiccup, just as the majority of FIOS customers haven't experienced any service problems.

I'm not bashing any service here. If you prefer FIOS over cable, that's fine. Or if you had issues that were not resolved by Comcast and you decided to switch, I don't blame you. All I am saying is that problems exist with ALL services. In the end, it's going to come down to price, reliability, and customer service no matter what kind of wire is feeding your house. If they could find a way to feed broadband to your house with a string between two tin cans, it wouldn't matter as long as it performed well.

As I have already stated, I think they are way ahead of themselves by saying that FIOS is doomed.
Dentonite
join:2006-07-17
Denton, TX

Dentonite

Well, now it appears Comcast is actively trying to exterminate it's customers in Chicago. Speed, service, and price are all important. But I think my biggest concern is to find a broadband provider that will just let me live. I'll stick with FiOS, thanks.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

3 recommendations

BosstonesOwn to deadzoned

to deadzoned
The reason it won't lead to a cash windfall is because we keep outsourcing our country for cheaper prices and a quick buck.

Here is the sad state of affairs, we can't graduate enough technical people, we can't because we outsourced every minor tech job to another country in hopes of picking up quick cash, no one gives a rats ass about the future any more its all for today, and that is not going to change until a disaster, whether it be natural or man made , makes people realize that money is not what life is about. People now a days are afraid of hard work.

This land was built on the hard work of all of our forefathers, whether they were immigrants or not makes no matter, it was hard work that made this country great and it is slackers that will tear it down.

Here is where it shows. Kids today I would say since 1981 or there abouts age group, are so short sighted that they can't see the forest for the trees. They all want to either work for $50 an hour sitting on their ass or they don't want to work at all and let mommy and daddy pay for it all. The ones that do want to work, are small and have 2 parts. One side works to better their life and feel good about themselves after a hard days work. The others work only so they can live to go out and party today.

Its a major problem. They are running up debt at record rates. Their parents are also running up debt at record rates.

I see it every day. I was laid off but had the foresight to build a nest egg while I was working (anyone married will know never let the wife see that account or it gets spent to high hell) wife spent up most of it buying presents for people I don't even know. She's only 23 and she some how relates this to living this great life style.

How when it's my hard work that got this so every one else can blow it on me ? Hate to say it but that is what most of Americas youth is doing. Then leaning on daddy or mommy to pay it up after they screw up. And this is what is coming into power in this country in large numbers.

Look at who we owe debt to. Countries that are taking the small interest over longer periods of time. Knowing full well that we are destroying ourselves by trying to get stuff cheaper.

Let's face it does a welder in the midwest need to make $50 an hour when the houses around him cost 90 to 150 k ? Does he need to drive that $60 k escalade ? Every one wants to live like a rockstar and don't realize it takes more then those to make the world go round.

Don't get me wrong I am all for shooting for the moon when you do things, but geez if your not hitting the damn moon live with in your means.

By the way the reason they don't care about the state of the "broadband union" is because their investors want ROI the biggest they can get so they can buy the $10 k dress for their 19 year old wife when they are 60. It's a never ending cycle of greed and every day we dig ourselves deeper and deeper.

Its plainly evident by the console scalpers , the ticket scalpers , and every other form of quick bucking we have come to know and use. People are doing it with real estate and cars , now add consoles and other items that people cause hype over.

Really is a sad state of affairs when you sit and realize that we are bankrupting our own country and damaging it's future for our kids all because we want to live the easiest life. Kind of sickening when you actually look at it happening and realize not much can change that fate.

We call ourselves civilized and other nations 3rd world countries because they don't have the luxuries we have, are we really civilized compared to that tribe in Africa ? I mean really we fight or shoot and kill over a console while those people live and die without so much as seeing tv or a computer. Who are we to judge what is and is not civil.

/me gets off his soap box , picks it up and throws it in the dumpster

MadMANN3
Premium Member

1 recommendation

MadMANN3

Premium Member

BosstonesOwn:

Good post.

kyramilan
join:2006-11-26
Pensacola, FL

kyramilan to Dentonite

to Dentonite
said by Dentonite:

Well, now it appears Comcast is actively trying to exterminate it's customers in Chicago. Speed, service, and price are all important. But I think my biggest concern is to find a broadband provider that will just let me live. I'll stick with FiOS, thanks.
No, Comcast just refuses to pay the Daleys graft to get Chicago to look the other way as the deploy new stuff.

madderhatter
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Tallahassee, FL

madderhatter to BosstonesOwn

Premium Member

to BosstonesOwn
Bankrupting our own country ? This has been going on for the past ~100 years, only under changing guises , and it will continue. Fight and shoot over a console - what about fighting and killing over alcohol during prohibition ? We're certainly not committing genocide like all those civil people over in Africa are either.

I think I even heard Ward Cleaver saying this same stuff about "these kids nowadays" on more than a few episodes of Leave it to Beaver ... and that was about 50 years ago.

kyramilan
join:2006-11-26
Pensacola, FL

kyramilan to Fios Love

to Fios Love

Re: Who cares? Vz Cash-Flow Alone is Enough

said by Fios Love :

They don't need wall street -- look at their $7 BILLION cash flow! They might need to slow down a little -- but they'll be fine.
Ummm, cash flow is NOT $7 billion but $22 billion. The $7 billion was profit.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to madderhatter

to madderhatter

Re: This is complete and utter BS

Yeah bankrupting our own country ! we did it with the manufacturing industry and look what happened , it dragged us down for quite some time. We outsource or lowest it jobs to other countries. Meanwhile we then complain we can't get good service.

Killing over alcohol was completely different at the time it was illegal just like drugs are at this point. That point is moot now try again.

Define civil ? and look at what you use as a definition. They commit genocide much like we did to indians over the years. So who are we to call any one civilized ? Don't believe everything your told.

yeah but those kids were not complete wastes of space. They at least went out and did things when bored.

Now we have a major problem with obesity among our children to I know that was a major problem back then.

The point is we farm out our work for a quick buck that didn't happen until this century.

MadMANN3
Premium Member

MadMANN3 to Dentonite

Premium Member

to Dentonite
said by Dentonite:

But I think my biggest concern is to find a broadband provider that will just let me live. I'll stick with FiOS, thanks.
Can you elaborate on that?

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Cheese

to Cheese
If you want a *guaranteed* ROI, you don't invest in stocks. You don't even invest in corporate senior debt. You instead invest in government-backed securities (primarily T-bills/T-bonds). However, VZ's 4.5% dividend is actually *higher* than that of short-term (seven-year) T-bills (the disadvantage VZ dividends have is that they are taxable). But for longer-term ROI (even seven years; remember, I'm comparing VZ return to T-bills) I'd much rather invest in VZ than the United States, even though the dividends are taxable.