how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

korndawg

join:2006-10-24
Garner, IA

[IA] Motorola Signal Booster?

Has anyone used this product, and if so, did u have any success? I am real close to getting KXLT-DT from my roof antenna (in Garner) and was just wondering if this would help pull it in. When I turn it to the station, I can see the picture but there is way too many artifacts in it to be able to watch. Hoping this may be a solution.

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
Basically, the best way to say it is - Garbage in, garbage out. Unless you have some very poor coax between the antenna and your TV a signal amp will just amplify the bad signal.

IF you can't pull a certain stain in you either need to reposition your antenna or getter a higher gain antenna. It is possible enough that the signal is borderline enough that a amp may help, but it would need to be close to the antenna feed point to get the best effect.
--
INFLOW-WI

korndawg

Garner, IA
reply to korndawg
I have a couple unknown variables. For one, I don't know if the cable i have is RG6 or RG59, and I also don't know what kind of antenna I have. Both were already installed when I bought the house. The length of the cable is atleast 35 ft so I don't know how much that is hurting it. The position I have the antenna at now is bout the best I can get it while keeping KTTC-DT and KAAL-DT signals happy.

By the way, my antenna looks a lil like this: »www.pctinternational.com/channel···age.html.
The 3018 model and it is pointed to the northeast. I know thats not my exact antenna so it will be hard to buy a new one without knowing whether or not it'd be a better one.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
How old is your house?

NetDroid2

join:2004-08-16
Excelsior, MN
reply to korndawg
I don't know if this will help but if your looking for OTA HD try this website: »www.antennaweb.org
If nothing else you can at least see how far away the stations are from your location.

I don't have HD at the moment but when I do it looks like a helpful site.

JBark

join:2003-06-26
Spring Valley, MN
reply to korndawg
This avsforum post is more geared towards people in Rochester, but it does have tons of info about the towers around here.
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···t=392947

So right now you don't have any sort of preamp or amp on your line? An amp won't do much, but a preamp installed up near the antenna can help quite a bit. I installed a preamp on my antenna, and now I can reliably pull in WEAU-DT at around 100 miles. But I've got about 100 feet of cable between the antenna and my TV, so that preamp helped quite a bit.

For lots of technical info, you can search here:
»www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

You'll see 2 things for KXLT-DT that are hurting you. It looks like they aren't quite a full power yet (55 vs ~200), and the directional transmitter is biased to the west and north.

korndawg

Garner, IA
reply to korndawg
I've searched antennaweb and according to them, I should even be getting KXLT-DT, but I know others in Garner is. As far as distance, I think its 65 miles. Right now, I have no preamp or amp and was hoping this motorola signal booster is what I may need.

korndawg

Garner, IA
Ok, according to antennaweb, this is what I should be receiving for digital stations:
KTIN-DT: 242° 45.2mi
KAAL-DT: 30° 42.9mi

But after adjusting my antenna I'm able to get these (with signal strength)

KXLT-DT - 51%
KAAL-DT - 79%
KTTC-DT - 82%
KTTC2-DT - 82%

Now on Sunday, KXLT-DT came in but was way too pixalated to watch due to a poor signal but tonite, it was fine. Any idea why this may have changed? Should a preamp help my cause into making the signal stronger or more stable?