SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

2 edits

1 recommendation

SoonerAl

MVM

Setup a Vista Secure Shell (SSH) server...

Click for full size
FWIW department...

Some folks may want to setup a SSH server on a Vista desktop for secure remote access. I was able to get copSSH installed successfully yesterday on a Vista Ultimate (RTM) desktop using private\public keys for client authentication.

»www.itefix.no/phpws/inde ··· on=22:22
»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· sta.html

In order to successfully run the copSSH installer program on the Vista machine I logged on as a user with administrator privileges and had to set compatibility mode and run the installer program, including the activate and deactivate programs, with administrator permissions. See the screen shot.

Also note you need to add a port exception for SSH to the Vista Windows Firewall on the server PC and any router between the server PC and the public internet.

Vista compatibility information...

»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· ity.mspx

I also installed the Tunnelier SSH client program on one a laptop running Vista Ultimate (RTM). I followed the same strategy concerning compatibility mode, etc. Here are mini-How-To's concerning Tunnelier and creating a private\public key pair with the Tunnelier Keypair Manager.

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ier.html
»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ier.html

UPDATE...20 December 2006...

Note that the Remote Desktop (RDP) 6.0 client has an issue when using a loopback address and port 3390. You may see this error message...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· sage.jpg

The work around is to use port 3391 or higher...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· nt06.jpg

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul

Premium Member

Great stuff, I always enjoy your remote access posts

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to SoonerAl

MVM

to SoonerAl
I'm extensively using ssh to remotely manage OSX and Linux boxes, and am looking for an SSH server for Windows 2000 Server, WinXP and WS 2003. I'd like a free solution without the hassle of Cygwin, as my clients are non-profits and keeping expenses low is important.

Can you recommend a short list of free SSH servers? Obviously copSSH is one and I see it conveniently packages OpenSSH and cygwin. Agent-less public key authentication is supported and that is how I connect to OSX and Linux boxes.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and recommendations.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

Besides OpenSSH/cygwin the only other free SSH servers for a Windows platform that I have tried were OpenSSH for Windows and freeSSHd. I tried an early version of freeSSHd but had issues with getting private\public key pairs to work right.

»freesshd.com/index.php

I don't know if its actively maintained, etc or not. As you know all maintenance of OpenSSH for Windows stopped over two (2) years ago making that a non-starter as far as I am concerned...

Once I found copSSH I have stuck with that particularly since it is actively maintained and updated as OpenSSH/OpenSSH/cygwin are updated...

Good luck...

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I installed yesterday and it is working well so far. Wish enabling public key only logins was easier, otherwise I'm satisfied.

joncellini
join:2001-04-19
Beaverton, OR

joncellini to bbarrera

to bbarrera
said by bbarrera:

I'd like a free solution without the hassle of Cygwin, as my clients are non-profits and keeping expenses low is important.
There is a port of OpenSSH that runs under the Interix portion of SFU. IIRC SFU is now a free download from Microsoft. I have used it in the past and had good luck with it - keyed authentication works fine as does keyboard interactive. Since you think Cygwin is a hassle I'm not sure if this would be any less hassle for you.