how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yahtzee
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

[Word] Way to sort address labels alphabetically?

I have 5 pages of address labels (30 labels each page) that i would like to be able to sort alphabetically. Also, i would like to be able to put them all into one file instead of having them saved as xmaslabels1.doc and xmaslabels2.doc. Are either of these possible? Many thanks.
--
If ever offered a breath mint - take it.

jp0469
JP

join:2000-12-13
Rochester, MA
kudos:1
Best bet is to set up your addresses is Excel in alphabetical order and then use the mail merge feature of Word to import them into a label template. That's how I have mine set up.

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
said by jp0469:

Best bet is to set up your addresses is Excel in alphabetical order and then use the mail merge feature of Word to import them into a label template. That's how I have mine set up.
Can you give me some more info and maybe a template of some sort? Thanks.
--

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to jp0469
Also, is there a way to merge them out of Word in their current state and into Excel to avoid having to retype all of them?
--

jp0469
JP

Rochester, MA
reply to yahtzee
Click for full size
Excel layout
Click for full size
Word template
Create a Excel layout like mine above and fill in the info. Next, open Word and select Mail Merge from the Tools menu. Follow the wizard to first select your label type (Avery 8660 for example). Select the data source as the Excel spreadsheet that you created and choose the fields similar to the ones in my template above. Finally, complete the merge and a new document should open with all the info filled in. The wizard should guide you through but if you need more detail, just ask.

JP

jp0469
JP

Rochester, MA
reply to yahtzee
said by yahtzee:

Also, is there a way to merge them out of Word in their current state and into Excel to avoid having to retype all of them?
Not sure about that one. Copy and paste would be slow too but believe me, next year it will go sooo fast by having the Excel file already created.

jp0469
JP

Rochester, MA
reply to jp0469
Also, you should just type a few addresses in at first and try the merge just to make sure you have it set up correctly.

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to jp0469
said by jp0469:

said by yahtzee:

Not sure about that one. Copy and paste would be slow too but believe me, next year it will go sooo fast by having the Excel file already created.
Thanks...one more question...i have some names that are in the "The Smith Family" format....how would you recommend all of the names to be set up?
--

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
also, i have some that have "and family" or and children". My main goal is to be able to sort alphabetically so that, throughout the year, we can add names but also check the list to see if they are there already....
--

jp0469
JP

Rochester, MA
reply to yahtzee
I don't have mine like that but I do have a suggestion. Create another column called "Last Name". Don't use that column in your actual labels but rather just use it as a means to sort your Excel spreadsheet. In your example you would just enter "Smith" in that cell and that would keep The Smith Family sorted along with the other "S" names.

yahtzee
Premium
Richmond, VA
Outstanding...i have retyped all of my addresses. I went to do a mail merge and i see what you mean about keeping the "last name" field out of the picture....should i just save two excel spreadsheets, one with the last name field in it and one without, or is there a way to deselect the "last name" field in the mail merge? Thanks again.
--

jp0469
JP

Rochester, MA
Glad it's working out so far. If you don't add the last name field to your label template, then it won't show up on the labels but you can still use that column (in Excel) to sort your contacts. Hopefully that makes some sense.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
reply to yahtzee
I use the free Avery design software. You can setup a database to store the addresses. I'm sure they will print in order. You might find something else that'll work also. »www.avery.com/us/software/index.jsp