spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

speeder2k

join:2003-04-13
Philadelphia, PA

[Speed] NE Philly / Abington = 25 mbits!

I'm in far NE, philly, testing a 700mb file from newsgroups, downloading at average of 24mbits with 600kbits upload (while downloading). Friend in abington getting the same.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by speeder2k:

I'm in far NE, philly, testing a 700mb file from newsgroups, downloading at average of 24mbits with 600kbits upload (while downloading). Friend in abington getting the same.
Is it a sustained 24Megs? If not, you're both just experiencing PowerBoost.

speeder2k

Philadelphia, PA
downloaded the whole 700mb file at that speed...

speeder2k

Philadelphia, PA
and i'm downloading an WMV HD showcase file from Microsoft right now at 18-20mbps.

ret369
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Warminster, PA
In bucks county, Pa also download at a sustained speed of between 20 to 27 Mbps/2.66 to 3.66 MBps

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
It could be something Comcast is testing on the system. If it is, enjoy while you have it.

kuje

join:2003-01-01
Philadelphia, PA
reply to speeder2k
I'm also in NE philly and do not have the new speeds

downthesun

@comcast.net
I'm in northern NJ and I'm getting the same speed and its constant.

coaxluver

@comcast.net
reply to speeder2k
has anyone looked at their config file to confirm

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to speeder2k
Im in 19152 and no speed upgrade for me.

alalper
Premium
join:2000-08-20
Philadelphia, PA
said by gate1975mlm:

Im in 19152 and no speed upgrade for me.
Likewise here (19152).

hbreg
Premium
join:2000-11-09
Feasterville Trevose, PA
reply to ret369
said by ret369:

In bucks county, Pa also download at a sustained speed of between 20 to 27 Mbps/2.66 to 3.66 MBps
Most likely because Comcast is in the process of upgrading the systems to the 16/1 speeds in anticipation of FIOS being installed all around.

In lower Southampton we have had the new speeds now for 2 1/2 months. Between the upgrade and Powerboost the speeds are insane. Newsgroups usually average between 14-18mb.

Not sure how the OP is getting those speeds because nobody on any Philly system has reported getting the upgrade only Powerboost. Abington I believe got it so it makes sense for the friend, just not for the OP.

--
I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out. -- Judge Harold T. Stone

Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
ive had it also in upper bucks for some time now. personally i believe more people are able to get it but something hinders the ability of modems to download the proper configurations. thats why i believe modem swaps often activate the new configurations. (just a thought i have tho)

hbreg
Premium
Feasterville Trevose, PA
said by rody_44:

ive had it also in upper bucks for some time now. personally i believe more people are able to get it but something hinders the ability of modems to download the proper configurations. thats why i believe modem swaps often activate the new configurations. (just a thought i have tho)
I don't doubt about the modem not downloading the config file. I know I doubted until I power cycled and saw the new config file.

I think Comcast is system by suburban system upping the speeds but my original thought was about the OP who lives in Philly that he got the upgrade and seems to be the only one.
--
I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out. -- Judge Harold T. Stone

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
i think its system by system also. possibly even node by node within systems. but i believe philly will also get it. i suspect one by one they will now start posting. im waiting now for the first that comes and says i got a new modem and now my speeds are 25000 down. when in fact the modem isnt at fault but a cache issue is the real reason. (again just thinking outloud)

hbreg
Premium
Feasterville Trevose, PA

1 edit
said by rody_44 See Profileim waiting now for the first that comes and says i got a new modem and now my speeds are 25000 down. when in fact the modem isnt at fault but a cache issue is the real reason. (again just thinking outloud)

Followed by the "I didn't get it yet here" or "no increase in zip so and so"

--

flashlites
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Trenton, NJ
reply to speeder2k
I came here looking for a thread that may explain the speed increase I noticed last night. I'm in Central NJ, and I was downloading a game update. I was so shocked I downloaded it three additional times. It took 6 minutes for a little over 700MB, and showed 3.2MB/s when complete. I almost screamed. I didn't want to jinx anything, but if this is permanent, I may just stay with them, and not go with FIOS from Verizon (they're starting to solicit).
--
Nope, it's just me.

speeder2k

Philadelphia, PA
reply to speeder2k
newsgroups are still fast as heck.

Modem got this file:
CM TFTP Boot file: d11_m_sb5120_silver_c01.cm

the only weird log entries are:

REG: Capability type incorrectly negotiated by CMTS

and

PROG: SW Download File name the same as currently run.

Also, i've been able to reach 25 megs only in multi-part downloads (flash get or newsgroups), single download speed doesn't reach that.

Lastly, i'm on northeastave node, which hops to willowgrove then chestnut hill (and etc) to go outside of comcast.

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

It could be something Comcast is testing on the system.
AKA PermaBoost™
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Big_D:

said by Chris 313:

It could be something Comcast is testing on the system.
AKA PermaBoost™
Wouldn't that be a hoot if they actually came out with that and called it exactly that?

Big_D
Premium
Augusta, GA
LOL, I just hope my tm holds up so I can get royalties!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Big_D:

LOL, I just hope my tm holds up so I can get royalties!
If you really want to, you should go and copyright the name. Then you could get Comcast for "copyright infringement"

Jinsi

@comcast.net
reply to speeder2k
What speed tier do you have?
I have silver and I'm getting 12 mbps.

da sponge

join:2005-04-12
Philadelphia, PA
Silver in philly (19130) and i'm seeing the same permaboost speeds

Big_D
Premium
Augusta, GA
said by da sponge:

permaboost
ahem... PermaBoost™
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

sedorox

join:2006-06-23
Williamsport, PA
reply to speeder2k
19090: No updates as of yet (just north of Abington. I'm on base package with a SB5100 modem (thinking about switching to the one they gave us with Digital Voice))