spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Naediel

join:2003-02-08
Chalfont, PA

IP Address Resolves to an out of State Hostname

So, this is quite strange. I'm in Bucks County, PA and my IP address resolves to a Connecticut hostname.

c-67-x-x-x.hsd1.ct.comcast.net

I just find is very odd and has been bothering me for a while now. Or should I not be bothered at all by it?

I was thinking of trying to get a different IP address by releasing the IP on the router and renewing, but it keeps getting the same one.

hbreg
Premium
join:2000-11-09
Feasterville Trevose, PA
said by Naediel:

So, this is quite strange. I'm in Bucks County, PA and my IP address resolves to a Connecticut hostname.

c-67-x-x-x.hsd1.ct.comcast.net

I just find is very odd and has been bothering me for a while now. Or should I not be bothered at all by it?

I was thinking of trying to get a different IP address by releasing the IP on the router and renewing, but it keeps getting the same one.
Are you having any kind of issues as far as speed or latency? If not I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it really does bother you then you should try to change it.

To change your IP see this FAQ.
--
I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out. -- Judge Harold T. Stone

Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot.

Naediel

join:2003-02-08
Chalfont, PA
reply to Naediel
Oh, right, forgot you had to change the MAC address. Thanks.

And I don't think it is really causing any problems, but it still bothers me, heh.

DreamWraith
Premium
join:2004-04-07
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to Naediel
I have this happen quite often. i live in washington, and i will randomly resole to a minesota hostname.

I dont really pay much mind to it though, it doesnt affect anything i do.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Business..
·Cingular Wireless

3 edits
reply to Naediel
The PTR record contents (reverse DNS) for any IP address is rather arbitrary (and in some cases non-existent). Comcast will shift available IP addresses as needed to meet network requirements, and sometimes the PTR record contents are not updated right away (if ever).

The PTR record for my Covad dedicated line pointed to Atlanta, GA before I had it changed to point to one of my registered domain names (which does not include any geographic reference unless you also do a whois to see where the domain name is registered).
--
Outsourcing is not the same as Offshoring!
Test your firewall. | Smell the flowers.