All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DarkThrone5
join:2000-12-14

DarkThrone5

PSIservice.exe

Just noticed that I had this running earlier today.

Says it's -

Protexis Licensing Service

The only thing that I can think of is, I recently bought the download of Oblivion's expansion Knights of Nine.

In either case, I do not think that this service should have been added to start at boot up at all.

Any thoughts on this?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

All I could get from google is it seems it could be part of panda software, likely their antivirus.

DarkThrone5

DarkThrone5

Hi!

Thanks, but I do not have Panda installed. (years ago on another system)

What gets me is that this service is set to run at every start up (well disabled it now)

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob to DarkThrone5

Premium Member

to DarkThrone5
You might try something like Process Explorer that will show you where the executable is at. That might help with a clue if it is in something besides the Windows/System32 folder.

DarkThrone5

DarkThrone5

Hi

Thanks. It is in the Windows/System32 folder.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Do the properties of the file itself say who the developer was?

Also if your familiar with the registry editor, do a search in the registry to see if any keys come up associated with it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to DarkThrone5

Premium Member

to DarkThrone5
said by Windows IT Research Library :

Protexis Licensing Services combine a robust and highly-configurable licensing management system with industry-proven, anti-piracy, digital rights management. These services offer a broad range of end-user licensing and product activation options to enable a wide variety of usage models including per-use, termed rentals, and periodic renewals.
Your suspicion that it was probably installed as part of a downloaded game is probably correct.

DarkThrone5

DarkThrone5

K, looked at the date when Knights of the nine was purchased. 12-22-2006

This file is dated on 12-12-2006

I just cant see why the added service was set to boot up everytime. If I would've known this, I just would've ordered it on cd.

So, any security issues with this that anyone knows of? Anything to be concerned with?

Also, I appreciate the time that all of you took to post and find out info on this. Thank you!

Michael.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro

NetFixer

Premium Member

Probably not a security issue, it is possibly a DRM driver (which might have still been installed if you had bought the CD).

Does the game work with the service disabled?

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to DarkThrone5

Premium Member

to DarkThrone5
Probably interferes with CD burning or something like
that. It reminds me too much of Starforce.
rotty97
join:2005-06-30
Australia

1 edit

rotty97

wrong thread

DarkThrone5

DarkThrone5

K, found out what program put it there.

Corel Paint Shop Pro XI

With the service disabled, Paint Shop wouldnt start at all. With it enabled, it worked correctly.

There was an update that I did do for it around Dec 22nd or so.

MQ
@com.ar

MQ to DarkThrone5

Anon

to DarkThrone5
If you have installed Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI, and you have upgraded the installation using the patch available to level 11.11, this patch installed the PSIservice.exe, without any previous authorization........., after doing it I found this process running in my computer, so, what I did was to restore the system to a point a few days earlier using system restore, the Paint shop came back to level 11, and later I erased from the Paint Shop directory all files with the date I installed the patch, no more PSIservice running in the background, very bad idea to install that kind of process without making a question.

NetWatchMan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-13
Alpharetta, GA

NetWatchMan to DarkThrone5

Premium Member

to DarkThrone5
You can get a SHA1 hash analysis of it here using our tool:
»www.mynetwatchman.com/tools/sc

Amoung other things, Seccheck will tell you how many other people have reported the same hash...we have currently collected hash dumps from nearly 10,000 systems..I'd say if 20 or more have reported then it's probably OK, otherwise I'd definitely investigate more.

DarkThrone5

DarkThrone5

Thanks!

i've since uninstalled it, deleted the service, and reinstalled. so far, i'm going to make do without their screwed patch.

They should at the least disclose this service.

Mwewe
join:2001-03-22
Berkeley, CA

Mwewe

I stopped the PSIservice and my Paint Shop Pro XI v 11.11 still runs perfectly. Then I searched my computer for files begining with PSI* which is apparently Protexis Licensing's program naming convention.

In addition to the PSIservice.exe file, there's a psikey.dll file in System32, and I can see lots of entry points in its export table dealing with renewing trials of varying length, registering trials, purchasing, etc. I suppose it's part of their trial download program. And it may also activate when you upgrade. There's a matching psiclient.dll in Paint Shop Pro's directory. These three files appear to be the Protexis protection system.

Are you running a trial version of PSP? I have no problem running my program with the service disabled and not running.

I changed it from disabled to manual startup mode and restarted Paint Shop Pro, but the PSI process still didn't start so I've left it in this mode. Now my system operates with one less service running. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mwewe