·Comcast Formerl..
·Home Telephone
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to pleekmo

Re: [info] It's Here! U-Verse

said by pleekmo:

said by soup du jour:

[a] bigass 2wire modem/wifi router
Hope it doesn't have a "dust bunny" problem like most computers have.
that's why god invented canned air!

soup du jour
I'm so bad... I should be in detention
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Danbury, CT
reply to ThirdShifter
the initial setup cost is $50 according to the sales girl

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to pleekmo
Pantyhose works very well as an air filter. I use it on my PC and it does the trick nicely.

Just be sure to clean it before using it as a mask.

uconn1992

join:2004-01-07
Farmington, CT
Hi - How is the TV video stream transferred to from the 2wire router to the set top boxes? Via ethernet or over coax?

cwh

join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX
said by uconn1992:

Hi - How is the TV video stream transferred to from the 2wire router to the set top boxes? Via ethernet or over coax?
ethernet or hpna over coax.

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct
well its 545 and the tech has been here since 10am

im about to go back to the dish

grrrrrrrr

updates to come

vinnie97
Premium
join:2003-12-05
US
kudos:1
reply to pleekmo
interesting, even after the state of TX offered AT&T a franchise June 2006, I still see no signs of imminent deployment in the second largest city of TX (Dallas).

I'm about to jump ship to Roadrunner + VoIP from Earthlink once my contract expires in June.

That gives AT&T 5 more months to get it done and considering I'm in a MDU, I have doubts it comes to fruition.

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct
passing 20 hours over 3 days

...and still going

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
So they are still having problems with adding new service to the existing network...or so they say?

Don't they know that you are posting updates everyday to this board? This is not good press for them.
--
Rich. My Website - ThisIsPico.Com including the AT&T/SBC Northeast/SNET Status Page and Graphs

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
said by meskinct:

So they are still having problems with adding new service to the existing network...or so they say?

Don't they know that you are posting updates everyday to this board? This is not good press for them.
well at the point i am right now

i have the dvr/reciever up in the living room

2 other recievers cant sync - the tech called the head office, they are putting an order together to accept 2 new boxes, waiting to hear back from them - im guessing

my tv in the bedroom is not connected at this point

i gave them until 4pm to hear back what is going to happen - if anything, if not he will rehook up the dish in the bedroom

internet and wireless is on - thankfully

so i wait until 4pm - if not working then followup next sat

called customer service

$50 install is waived
this months service is waived - $149

personally i think it needs to be communicated out what is going on regardless of how it looks for them - maybe they will get it right for the next customer

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
for what its worth when SNET put my DSL in way back in Jan 2000, the tech had to troubleshoot for 4 hours why it wasnt working. come to find out at the last hour, he had the phone pair and the dsl pair flip-flopped (i have an outside NID filter). at 10 til 5, he flipped the pairs and it all worked.
--
Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency.-Foghorn Leghorn

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct
well - its 837pm monday night - 4pm came and went

no word from the office on the new equipment setup/connection so the dvr is up on one tv and the dish is back up on the other

techs are coming back saturday to try again hopefully it will be completed by then

one thing i did notice - the 2wire "BAS" wireless connection is a POS - first was dropping and disappearing left and right - so i linked it to my old linksys g router and worked like a charm, i told the tech today (mon) and he suggested that it be changed to a different channel, now it is staying consitently up but speeds are all over the place. 54mb to 12 to 24 to 12 and so on

i think i will uplink it back to my reliable linksys g - at least that kept a constant 54

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to soup du jour
said by soup du jour:

personally i think it needs to be communicated out what is going on regardless of how it looks for them - maybe they will get it right for the next customer
Thank you for your candid assessment and report of how this install is going for you.

I think it speaks for itself. A 20 hour install job and it's still not working properly must be very frustrating for you as a customer.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to laprjns
said by laprjns:

said by mrRT:

Unless your willing to experience all the aches and pains of a new technology, I don't think I'd jump just yet.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....wondering how many of you remember what it was like here in the opening days...>>???
The real question is... Can MrFixit fix it?
Well if he can't my box is always open! I get some stuff from him anyway..
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to meskinct
said by meskinct:

Just be sure to clean it before using it as a mask.
Ya know that is good advice! Not insinuating anything and ya know I believe in a don't ask, don't tell policy!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
I also had created a [Uverse] in the direct forum as well. Right not just post as much info as you can get us in tagging and having the service looked at.

Phantom 2
On no he can't
Premium
join:2002-05-13

1 edit
reply to meskinct
These problems sound familiar...is SNET Americast back in business?

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
According to AT&T, it is working better than expected.

»news.com.com/ATT+to+ramp+up+IPTV···354.html

Sure it is.

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
Theres a couple of stories today about AT&T blaming Microsoft for the problems. If there's a podcast of this it would be interesting.

"AT&T Blames Microsoft Software For IPTV Delays
Friday January 26, 6:25 am ET

AT&T is blaming delays in the successful rollout of its IPTV service on glitches in the Microsoft software on which it operates. AT&T's in-home TV service was supposed to be available in 15 markets by the end of 2006; it has instead only been rolled out in 11, and in limited form. As a result, the Wall Street Journal reports that AT&T CFO Rick Lindner has decided against heavily marketing the service so as not to increase demand until the problems are solved. But AT&T stopped short of losing hope in its partnership with Microsoft or in the effectiveness of its software. AT&T CEO Edward Whitacre told analysts during the company's conference call yesterday his company was staying the course stating, "It works and it's the right thing financially." Executives on the conference call made sure to point out that delays in the IPTV service had been caused by software issues and did not reflect any problems with the network architecture. AT&T hopes to have IPTV in eight million homes by year's end. AT&T shares rose $0.16 to $36.79 yesterday after reporting earnings before the market opened."

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct

RAVENESS! U-Verse Installation Completed!

Click for full size
12 inches high!
Click for full size
speed test
22 hours and 3-1/4 days later - ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!

1 DVR in the living room - hooked thru a VCR/dvd combo
1 receiver in the bedroom - hooked thru a VCR/dvd combo
1 receiver in limbo until i get a third tv

speed test on elite (6 down - 1 up)is pretty sweet

current internet access:

1 desktop on wired connected
1 desktop on wifi connection
2 laptops on wifi connection

still going thru the wireless g linksys router

for some reason i lose connection to the linksys and need to go into the settings to reset it to connect.. hummmm

i did notice that the desktop loses the internet if a cable gets unplugged and ipconfig renew'in doesn't work and need to reboot to get it going again, but it is staying on pretty consistently

the physical set up is:

coax coming in from the telephone box, leading into a 3-way splitter in the basement splitting out to 3 coax cables

coax into the "rg" (2wire router) ethernet to desktop

coax to living room tv (new run)

ethernet to the bedroom tv (new)

coax to the 3rd setup (waiting for tv)

hardware supplied:

1 DVR & remote
2 receivers & remotes
1 "rg"
3 new coax runs
1 wifi pcmcia notebook adapter (wireless-g)
1 wifi usb desktop adapter (wireless-g)
coax "securers" don't know what they call these things
twist ties

well it has been a fight - but all seems well in the world

Rick
Premium,MVM
Waterbury, CT
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the got it working for you.
22 hours for an install though..wow. At least it was considerate of them to waive 200.00 in fees though.

Mind if I ask what your monthly bill will be...before and after any specials they've given you?

You previously posted that this is what you were planning on going with..

"u200 package

190 channels vs 120 dish
3 receivers with one dvr
2 mos hbo/cinemax free
same internet elite 6/1
new dsl modem and wifi router"

We recently got switched from adelphia to comcast in the last couple weeks and i'd like to compare what you now have to Comcast's pricing here for something comparable. I think our comcast pricing is about the same as it is in Danbury.

Hopefully, the competition will be good for all, cable and uverse users alike.
--

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct

Re: [info] It's Here! U-Verse

$35 for internet elite
$54 for tv - u200
$62 for phone - all distance package

$151 monthly

this is a month to month plan on the u-verse, no commitments - which is a good thing

service monthly before was $149/mo

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct
down with comcast... LOL (but seriously, i will never ever do anything with comcast again)

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
Hooray! Wow, it really does work. Thanks for posting all of your saga. One more small thing that maybe you could do...post the modem stats? I'm curious to see what you are synced at and what the line is capable of.

I'm jealous!
--
Rich. My Website - ThisIsPico.Com including the AT&T/SBC Northeast/SNET Status Page and Graphs

Rick
Premium,MVM
Waterbury, CT
reply to soup du jour
said by soup du jour:

$35 for internet elite
$54 for tv - u200

$151 monthly

this is a month to month plan on the u-verse, no commitments - which is a good thing

Does the price you listed for tv include the 2 premiums after the 2 mo. free?
Does it include all your equipment?

and, can you drop the all distance package in favor of something like vonage voip or is the phone service a requirement?

thanks

--

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
said by Rick:

said by soup du jour:

$35 for internet elite
$54 for tv - u200

$151 monthly

and, can you drop the all distance package in favor of something like vonage voip or is the phone service a requirement?

thanks

this is for everything right now - the hbo/showtime is for 2 months - it is an extra $24 a month after to keep

all equipment is included - it is leased so when the service goes, the dvr/receivers and remotes go too

i never checked with the phone scenario, i have it because the wife makes international calls - good question tho i may need to research that.

soup du jour
Premium
Danbury, CT
reply to meskinct
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by meskinct:

Hooray! Wow, it really does work. Thanks for posting all of your saga. One more small thing that maybe you could do...post the modem stats? I'm curious to see what you are synced at and what the line is capable of.

I'm jealous!
here is the 2wire stats...

visitor

join:2001-07-26
Manchester, CT
reply to soup du jour
said by soup du jour:

i never checked with the phone scenario, i have it because the wife makes international calls - good question tho i
may need to research that.
Nice posting... glad to hear after all that they did get it working.

If phone service is required it is a deal breaker for me. Everyone in my house has a cell phone and there is really no need for the land line...

$89 for 200 channels and their fastest internet package is right about what I pay Cox for 5/1 and expanded basic cable. The AT&T would be the better package since it has more channels, and includes a DVR on one of the tubes. For that matter I'd probably go with 1.5/384 or whatever the slowest internet package is and save a bit.
--
One minute... and Clarkson still sux!

cwh

join:2006-05-14
San Antonio, TX
reply to soup du jour
said by soup du jour:

said by Rick:

said by soup du jour:

$35 for internet elite
$54 for tv - u200

$151 monthly

thanks

this is for everything right now - the hbo/showtime is for 2 months - it is an extra $24 a month after to keep

all equipment is included - it is leased so when the service goes, the dvr/receivers and remotes go too

i never checked with the phone scenario, i have it because the wife makes international calls - good question tho i may need to research that.
A land line is not required not required for u-verse service. And u-verse voip should be showing up in the near future...

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT

1 edit
reply to soup du jour
27 Meg down/2 up...nice! Enjoy.

Now, if only it would allocate bandwidth on the fly (more internet speed when TV not in use) we'd be talking ultra cool.