Search similar:

uniqs

smeck
join:2000-12-02
San Francisco, CA

smeck

Change MaxFrameSize (MTU) in Win2k, Enternet 300

Go here to change MTU:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE 10318}\000n "MaxFrameSize".

Set "MaxFrameSize" to 1492. Be sure to check "DriverDisc" for name of adapter (efficient networks blah blah).

BTW, When doing DSLReports tweak test, MTU indicated "1486"??? Anyone know why? I also did speed test, results were 1216/107... this was typical and I can't complain.
jpalminteri
join:2000-12-13
Bellefonte, PA

jpalminteri

1486 is the Max MTU with Enternet 300 and Win 2K, regardless of settings.

Coriolis3
Premium Member
join:2001-03-09
Fredericton, NB

Coriolis3 to smeck

Premium Member

to smeck
So what you're saying is that you did a reg hack to change MTU =1492 for Enternet, but it shows up as 1486 on the tweak test result? Still, that's not bad...better than 1454.

One thing I want to point out though, for Win9x/ME, it's not the "MaxFrameSize" string that you change, but the "max" string in the 000n directory that you change:
»Tweaking FAQ »MTU: Setting it with Enternet, Win95/98/98se/ME/2K/XP

So it's different for Win2k? You edit the "MaxFrameSize" instead? Did you try the instructions for Win9x/ME, except with your path? Perhaps that's why MTU was only 1486... Just some thoughts.

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

I don't believe the MTU fix will work on Win2k so it says in the FAQ too. I don't think all the registry location for MTU are known yet. I'm sure with a next release of DrTCP we will have the ability to do so. Until then RASPPPoE seems like a good alternative.

Bob Carrick

join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
That is correct the largest MTU you can achieve in Win2K or XP (I've tested the version with XP support) is 1486. The 6 bit difference to 1492 is not at all noticable is sustained through-put tests.

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Bob, is the registry key always {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}? And what is that 000n for?? I don't recall that entry in Win2K -- isn't that for Win98??

What is the exact key in Win2K that controls the MTU for EnterNet? If it is known, it should be in the FAQ's here.

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
I should have tested it in Win2K and I didn't so 4D36E972-E325-11CE-08002bE10318 this was what I found for Win2K and am waiting for confirmation from Efficient Networks.

smeck
San Francisco, CA

smeck

In case anyone's interested, the "n" in 000n is a reference to what I beleive to be a random key number under {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE 10318}. In my registry, it is "0008"

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks, smeck. So the "CLSID" or "GUID" number ({4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE 10318}) is correct and specific for EnterNet? Is there really a space between the E and the 103...?

Are there more than one 000n number under this key?

Sorry, I don't have EnterNet so I have to ask these stupid questions...

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
There is no space, not on my system anyway.

Bob

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan

Let me know when this is completely understood, and I will add it to the FAQ's.

smeck
San Francisco, CA

smeck

Oops, no space between E and 103. I happen to have a total of eight keys under CLSID. I assume that the CLSID number is the same for all enternet 300 win2k installs?

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Do you know what the other seven keys are for?

Again, sorry, but I would love to figure this out so we can put this in the FAQ's. Neither Pinan or I have EnterNet or PPPoE, so we have to rely on what we can get from you guys...

Could you actually export that entire Registry key and attach it here?? Thanks.

smeck
San Francisco, CA

smeck

The other seven keys relate to misc. adapters and ports on my system. As I mentioned earlier, to determine the correct key, look for "DriverDisc" item which specifies the adapter's name.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to Pinan

MVM

to Pinan
Then, Pinan, the best I can tell, this is the setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE 10318}\000n
MaxFrameSize = "1486"

- where n = the key containing this entry:
DriverDisc = "Efficient Networks..."

[Note: space between the E and the 103... is due to a bug in the forum.]

Is this ready for the FAQ's???

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

I'll enter it, and we'll see what happens. I'm sure posters will advise us if it does not work for some.

Thanks all.:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Added to FAQ 11/10/01
jpalminteri
Bellefonte, PA

jpalminteri to R2

to R2
The following are what I have in my registry for Win 2K Pro for Enternet 300. The max MTU I was able to achieve was 1486 and I was told that this was the max although I was never given any complete explanation.

In the registry look for

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{1815221 B-613F-4229-A730-98B6600C34AC}]
MaxFrameSize=1486 which is REG_SZ

The other entry of interest is [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002B E10318}\0008]
MaxFrameSize=1486 which is REG_SZ

There is also a config file named ntsp3oe2 which I include for completeness:

The only paragraph that should be edited is the one that pertains to Max Frame Size. It should be noted again that this parameter is not numeric, but a character string both here and in the registry.

For the record I also recommend that anyone using PPPoE should use it through a router in order that the router can properly accommodate the environment. By that I mean your LAN should use an MTU of 1500 and the router will convert it to 1492 before transport on the WAN port. This is the only implementation I have heard of that really works well and it is the one I now use. Enternet 300 is a backup only.

I hope this helps!!!

;***************************************************************************
; NTSPPPoE.INF
;***************************************************************************
[version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class = Net
ClassGUID = {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider = %Msft%
LayoutFile = layout.inf

[Manufacturer]
%NTS% = NTS

[ControlFlags]
;ExcludeFromSelect = PCMCIA\COMPAQ-ETHERNET_LAN_CARD-049B

[NTS]
%NTSPPPOE.DeviceDesc% = NTSPPPOE.ndi,NTSPPPOE

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NTS Ethernet LAN card
;
[NTSPPPOE.ndi]
AddReg = PARAMS.reg, NTSPPPOE.reg
Characteristics = 0x1
BusType = 8
CopyFiles = NTSPPPOE.CopyFiles

[NTSPPPOE.Copyfiles]
ntspppoe.sys,,,2

[NTSPPPOE.ndi.Services]
AddService = NTSPPPOE, 2, NTSPPPOE.Service, common.EventLog

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Override config
;
[NTSPPPOE.ndi.LogConfigOverride]
LogConfig = ETH.LogConfigOverride

[ETH.LogConfigOverride]

; Parameters for NT
;
[PARAMS.reg]
; NTSPPPOE Driver and Service
;
[NTSPPPOE.reg]
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, UpperRange, 0, "ndis5"
HKR, Ndi\Interfaces, LowerRange, 0, "ethernet"
HKR, Ndi, Service, 0, "NTSPPPOE"

; NetworkAddr needs to be set by Install, not optional, so Opt. set to 0
HKR,Ndi\params\NetworkAddress,ParamDesc,,NetworkAddress
HKR,Ndi\params\NetworkAddress,default,,"444553547777"
HKR,Ndi\params\NetworkAddress,type,,edit

;MaxFrameSize
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,ParamDesc,,MaxFrameSize
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,type,,int
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,default,,1486
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,min,,576
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,max,,1486
HKR,Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize,step,,1

;LcpEchoTimeout
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,ParamDesc,,%LcpEchoTimeout_key_text%
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,type,,int
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,default,,546
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,min,,18
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,max,,5460
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoTimeout,step,,18

;LcpEchoRetries
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,ParamDesc,,%LcpEchoRetries_key_text%
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,type,,int
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,default,,3
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,min,,1
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,max,,10
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpEchoRetries,step,,1

;LcpMRU
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,ParamDesc,,%LcpMRU_key_text%
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,type,,int
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,default,,1492
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,min,,256
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,max,,1492
HKR,Ndi\params\LcpMRU,step,,1

[NTSPPPOE.Service]
DisplayName = %NTSPPPOE.Service.DispName%
ServiceType = 1 ; %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType = 3 ; %SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl = 1 ; %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary = %12%\ntspppoe.sys
LoadOrderGroup = NDIS

[common.EventLog]
AddReg = common.AddEventLog.reg

[common.AddEventLog.reg]
HKR, , EventMessageFile, 0x00020000,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\netevent.dll,%%SystemRoot%%\System32\drivers\ntspppoe. sys"
HKR, , TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 7

[DestinationDirs]
NTSPPPOE.CopyFiles = 12

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Localizable Strings
;
[Strings]
Msft = "Microsoft"
NTS = "NTS"

NTSPPPOE.DeviceDesc = "NTS Enternet P.P.P.o.E Adapter "
NTSPPPOE.Service.DispName = "NTS Enternet P.P.P.o.E LAN Miniport Driver"
LcpEchoTimeout_key_text="LcpEchoTimeout"
LcpEchoRetries_key_text="LcpEchoRetries"
LcpMRU_key_text="LcpMRU"
[text was edited by author 2001-11-10 19:21:39]
jpalminteri

jpalminteri to Pinan

to Pinan
This is what I have in my registry that is akin to what is in the current FAQ's. It may help!!!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002B E10318}\0008\Ndi\params\MaxFrameSize]
ParamDesc=MaxFrameSize
type=int
default=1486
min=576
max=1486
step=1

I have tried all the ones I posted at 1492 and still get 1486. Apparently an OS limitation or perhaps NTS's with Win 2K.

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

Thank you much. All of this helps. I included this thread in the FAQ tonight.;)
[text was edited by author 2001-11-11 01:52:56]

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to smeck

MVM

to smeck
For completeness sake, I will list the information as posted on Bob Carrick's site for WinXP. WinXP should be similar to Win2K. Since Bob does post here and since he refers people to his site regularly (including me), his information may be of significant relevance and importance.
16. How do I change the MTU of EnterNet in Windows XP?

1) Go to "Start" menu -> Click "Run" -> Type "Regedt32.exe" -> Click "OK"
2) Go to this Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-08002bE10318}\00 10\Ndi\params\MaxFra
Note: The 0010 may be different for you depending on how many pieces of hardware you have installed, but it will be one of those 00 numbers
3) Double click on "max" and change the value from 1454 to 1492.
4) Close RegEdit
5) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
6) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
7) Click on "Network Connections"
8) Right click on the "Local Area Connection" icon for your EnterNet listed as "Efficient Network Enternet" -> Choose "Properties"
9) In "General" tab click "Configure"
10) Click "Advanced" tab
11) Click "Max Frame Size" -> Change to MTU you desire
12) Click "LCPMRU" -> Change to match the MTU you changed in step 11
13) Click "OK"
14) Done!
You will note:
  1. I believe "MaxFra" is inadvertently truncated.
  2. the 000n key is variable.
  3. the key that smeck and I listed is incomplete -- the ...\Ndi\params\ is missing.
  4. jpalminteri lists two separate keys -- ...\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ and ...\Control\Class\. While this may appear to be a discrepancy, I will venture to guess that it is not. This is because the instructions Bob list from his #6 to #12 likely accomplish the same goal as jpalminteri's registry change. Bob is using the Network "Control Panel" interface to modify the registry and jpalminteri is doing it directly.
  5. Bob lists the registry value to be changed as "max", where as the "max" value does not appear in jpalminteri's original instructions. Is it "max" or "MaxFrameSize" -- or both -- that needs to be edited?
    [Edit: it appears that "MaxFrameSize" is the key, and the "(Default)" and "max" values should both be edited, correct?]
  6. Bob lists the "max" entry as "1492" -- but as has been pointed out, the actual limitation is at 1486 regardless of whether you exceed this number or not. Is there a "minus 6" from the number you have entered, or is this irrelevant??
  7. Bob inadvertently lists "ControlSet001" as the correct key. While this may be the correct ControlSet on HIS machine, it does NOT have to be the correct ControlSet on YOUR machine. The "ControlSets" are NOT specific for your NIC or your PPPoE client or your Dial-Up Adapter -- that is what the 000n key is for. The ControlSets are simply alternate versions that your registry can use. Setting the "CurrentControlSet" effects the "active" ControlSet -- so the key as jpalminteri lists it will work most of the time. If you wish to be compulsive, set this entry in ALL of your ControlSets.

I just hope this helps AVOID confusion if someone looks at both of these sites and sees different recommendations. I hope I have adequately clarified the reasons for the differences as best I could -- but I still have a couple of questions above that need to be answered.

Thank you jpalminteri and Bob Carrick for your input.

[text was edited by author 2001-11-11 10:24:06]

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
I try not to send people to my site, I try to post the info from my site here if needed. I don't mind you taking my info and appriciate the credit where credit is due. Also I like the notes that makes it clearer for people.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks Bob. I always try to give credit and your site is an excellent source of information.

Hmmm... I note jpalminteri's most recent addition:

[...\MaxFrameSize]
ParamDesc=MaxFrameSize
type=int
default=1486
min=576
max=1486
step=1

So, MaxFrameSize is the KEY and the values are "(Default)" and "max" -- correct??

You have to understand I am working without the benefit of either Win2K/XP or EnterNet. I am just trying to make it as clear as possible so that the FAQ's can be followed without generating more questions...

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
"max" is what you want to change. Default I assume you can change but no need. I left mine at 1454 and it still allowed me to change my MTU to 1492 (- 6 for what ever reason).

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan to R2

to R2
Thanks again guys. I'll work all of this into the FAQ.

Now for XP.;)

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

XP should be the same as Win2K, correct?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

I would think, given that it's based on the same platform. But it would be nice to confirm this aye?

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
Seems to be the same yes.

Bob
jpalminteri
Bellefonte, PA

jpalminteri to R2

to R2
R2,

As near as I can figure the values you mention come out of the config file that I posted. In order to try to achieve 1492 I manually changed all possible settings to 1492 in the config file as well as the registry. 1486 is the max, regardless of any forced settings. XP should be the same, but I wouldn't be surprised that in a later release it got changed to 1492. This appears to be the logical max for a PPPoE connection in any configuration.

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to smeck

to smeck
No for XP it is also 1486.

Bob

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan to Bob Carrick

to Bob Carrick
said by Bob Carrick:
Seems to be the same yes.

Bob
Was this for me Bob? As in XP and 2K are the same?