Thieves World

join:2001-12-02
West
Reviews:
·Anveo
reply to dvdivx

Re: Comcast abuse phone call.

said by dvdivx:

Just had a call stating my account was over the limit although they did not say what the limit is. Downloaded 300+ gb this month to catch up on some stuff since my computer was dead for a while. Now I must keep the account downloads to a minimum or loose service for 1 year as per the phone call. Evidently there aren't any letters any more or one just shows up later on.
Mostly an FYI. My guess is the limit is 300gb/mo. If I had to guess. You would be surprised how fast that can get used up with streaming HD video.
Well to hit that number you have to be downloading 16 hours a day for 30 days at a rate of 1.33Mbps.

That is a ton of usage. That would mean on average your using up ~4% of the total network on that CMTS port all the time.

I'm guessing your actually using up 15% of the network all the time during Peak hours and it's affecting other users that might be calling in to complain about slow speeds.

Remember this is DOCSIS not DSL.

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
said by EnasYorl:

What do you mean?
--
Serenity Day - June 23rd 2006. You Can't Stop the Signal

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
THe whole "cable is shared" argument.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to EnasYorl
Well to hit that number you have to be downloading 16 hours a day for 30 days at a rate of 1.33Mbps.

That is a ton of usage. That would mean on average your using up ~4% of the total network on that CMTS port all the time.

I'm guessing your actually using up 15% of the network all the time during Peak hours and it's affecting other users that might be calling in to complain about slow speeds.

Exactly what I was going to say. You definitely were doing WAY more than just catching up!!
--
Do the walk
Zenwalk Linux 4.0

MathImpared

@gte.net
reply to EnasYorl
said by EnasYorl:

said by dvdivx:

Just had a call stating my account was over the limit although they did not say what the limit is. Downloaded 300+ gb this month to catch up on some stuff since my computer was dead for a while. Now I must keep the account downloads to a minimum or loose service for 1 year as per the phone call. Evidently there aren't any letters any more or one just shows up later on.
Mostly an FYI. My guess is the limit is 300gb/mo. If I had to guess. You would be surprised how fast that can get used up with streaming HD video.

said by EnasYorl:

I didn't know that Comcast had a 1.33 meg connection. Wouldn't that equal 2 hrs 40 minutes of downloading on an 8 meg line?

Does uploading count in the equation?

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
said by MathImpared :

I didn't know that Comcast had a 1.33 meg connection. Wouldn't that equal 2 hrs 40 minutes of downloading on an 8 meg line?
But that doesn't sound or look too terrible. How are people going to attack/complain then?

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

4 edits
reply to MathImpared
said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

said by dvdivx:

said by EnasYorl:

Guess you don't understand averages very well as most sites aren't going to give you a full 8Mbps (aka 1MB/s). 15% of a DOCSIS channel is 6Mbps. PS. 300GB= 2400Gbits.
My full post that you partially quoted:

MathImpared

@gte.net
said by EnasYorl:

said by Illusionist :

said by MathImpared:

said by Illusionist :

Guess you don't understand averages very well as most sites aren't going to give you a full 8Mbps (aka 1MB/s). Also 300GB= 2400Gbits.
My full post that your partially quoted:

That's right, I don't understand. That's why I asked the question.

I'm not a math wiz. How do you calculate the maximum available bandwidth on an 8/768 Comcast connection?

What is the maximum capability of a Comcast 8/768 line in one month? Upload and download included.I thought the theoretical max on an 8/768 line was about 6TB in a month.

So, are you saying that you can hit 300 gig in a month by using 4% of your maximum available bandwidth on a Comcast 8/756 line? Or is it 15%? Or is it 16 hours a day?

From what I've heard, you can come pretty close to maxing out a Comcast connection with usenet. So I'm not sure that the bandwidth capability of "sites" is the right yardstick here. There are other uses for a HSI connection other than "sites".

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 edit
Usenet provides an easy, consistent 18-23Mbps down nowadays.

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo
reply to MathImpared
said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

I'm not a math wiz. How do you calculate the maximum available bandwidth on an 8/768 Comcast connection?

What is the maximum capability of a Comcast 8/768 line in one month? Upload and download included.I thought the theoretical max on an 8/768 line was about 6TB in a month.

So, are you saying that you can hit 300 gig in a month by using 4% of your maximum available bandwidth on a Comcast 8/756 line? Or is it 15%? Or is it 16 hours a day?

From what I've heard, you can come pretty close to maxing out a Comcast connection with usenet. So I'm not sure that the bandwidth capability of "sites" is the right yardstick here. There are other uses for a HSI connection other than "sites".
Nope your not reading the numbers.

On a shared NODE with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 there is only 40Mbps available bandwidth for everyone to use.

6Mbps/40Mbps= 15% of the PIE total of 100%

86400 seconds in one day x 6Mbps= 518.4Gbits in one day.

518.4Gbits/8=64.8GBytes

Hope this helps your math.

MathImpared

@gte.net
said by EnasYorl:

said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

On a shared NODE with DOCSIS 1.1/2.0 there is only 40Mbps available bandwidth for everyone to use.

518.4Gbits/8=64.8GBytes

OK, so If I understand you correctly 64.8GBytes is the capability of a node in one day.

So would the theoretical capability of an 8/768 connection be 8.75/40 of that, or 14.18GBytes a day = 425.40GBytes an month?

That doesn't seem right. I've seen posts where people have been cutoff for 600+ GBytes amonth and claims of 1 1/2 to 2TBytes af bandwidth a month.

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

3 edits
said by MathImpared :

OK, so If I understand you correctly 64.8GBytes is the capability of a node in one day.

So would the theoretical capability of an 8/768 connection be 8.75/40 of that, or 14.18GBytes a day = 425.40GBytes an month?

That doesn't seem right. I've seen posts where people have been cutoff for 600+ GBytes amonth and claims of 1 1/2 to 2TBytes af bandwidth a month.

No the 64.8Gbytes is only 15% of what's available.

64.8/.15= 432GBytes for 40Mbps of constant downloading in a 24hr period This assumes your the only one downloading and that you have a 40Mbps cable modem.

.432Terabytes x 30 = 12.96TB in a month.

8Mbps/40Mbps= 20% so .20 x 12.96TB = 2.592TB max for a NON bursting 8Mbps connection.

Now a 16 Meg plan would be close to 5.2TB .

MathImpared

@gte.net

1 edit
Thanks for showing me the math, Illusionist.

So would a maxed out upload on an 8/768 line add another 243GBytes (.75/8 X 2592) to that?
Expand your moderator at work

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

2 edits
reply to MathImpared

said by MathImpared :

Thanks for showing me the math, Illusionist.

So would a maxed out upload on an 8/768 line add another 243GBytes (.75/8 X 2592) to that?
Upload max would be monitored separately but in most systems there's only 10Mbps or 1.2Mb/s upload.

So people pushing software etc. would be close to 1/10th (.768mbps/8mbps)the max of the download.

So 2.5TB of downloads in 30 days you could upload .25TB of data.

Bottom line is if you affect others you're going to get a call.

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
reply to Badonkadonk
I never understood that. Maybe because i do not know enough about the technology. But your connection is "shared" with everyone on the node. Well with DSL, your connection is "Shared" with everyone at the CO. I am not sure how it is different.
--
Serenity Day - June 23rd 2006. You Can't Stop the Signal

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

2 edits
There are very few differences. Each are shared at some point, but people that are not very technically savvy continue to spout the DSL marketing FUD about "shared bandwidth"

Cabal

@comcast.net

1 edit
reply to snipper_cr
Every 3-4 months I need to harass Comcast to deal with the local misfits who feel it's their God-given right to saturate my local node and drop peak-hour speeds to 3/4 mbps or less (great signals, great pings, 15+ mbps off-peak Powerboost).

Jeez

@comcast.net
reply to EnasYorl
said by EnasYorl:

said by MathImpared :

said by EnasYorl:

518.4Gbits/8=64.8GBytes

Jeez,

I called Comcast and they said that I have 196 users on my node. If everybody on the node is sharing a 40MB connection and if the average user has a 6 meg connection they have sold me and my neigbors 1176 (6 X 96) megs of transport, but they are only supplying us with 40 megs.

That is overselling the same pipe 29.4 (1174/40) times. It sure looks like the real problem is that Comcast is overselling their bandwidth and then they are kicking off the people who actually use it.

If my connection ever experiences slowdowns, I am going to get pissed at Comcast for selling me a 6 meg connection when really they are only providing me 1/29.4 of a 6 meg connection. I sure won't be blaming my neigbors since at any one time it would only take 4 or 5 of them (out of 196) on usenet to bring the node to its knees.

It looks like Comcast should stop overselling their nodes instead of booting the people who use them!

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
All residential ISP's oversell. If they didn't they would either be out of business or have prices so high only the rich could afford them.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Jeez
said by Jeez :

Jeez,

I called Comcast and they said that I have 196 users on my node.
thats actually less then half of what they were set up to handle.
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

4 edits
reply to Jeez
said by Jeez :

Jeez,

I called Comcast and they said that I have 196 users on my node. If everybody on the node is sharing a 40MB connection and if the average user has a 6 meg connection they have sold me and my neigbors 1176 (6 X 96) megs of transport, but they are only supplying us with 40 megs.

That is overselling the same pipe 29.4 (1174/40) times. It sure looks like the real problem is that Comcast is overselling their bandwidth and then they are kicking off the people who actually use it.

If my connection ever experiences slowdowns, I am going to get pissed at Comcast for selling me a 6 meg connection when really they are only providing me 1/29.4 of a 6 meg connection. I sure won't be blaming my neigbors since at any one time it would only take 4 or 5 of them (out of 196) on usenet to bring the node to its knees.

It looks like Comcast should stop overselling their nodes instead of booting the people who use them!
I have over 400 users on my node and never have a issue.

Most users are web surfers/mail users. That's less then 0.128Mbps most of the time.

Relax my friend. DOSCIS 3.0 is coming at some point. And Channel bonding 40+40+40+40.....

CISCO FAQ
»www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk···02.shtml

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Jeez
"It looks like Comcast should stop overselling their nodes instead of booting the people who use them!"

Oh God!

Do you really think a power company has enough capacity to deal with everyone turning on every light and every appliance in their house at the same time?

Do you Think Macdonald's has enough Burgers if everyone in town walked in at the same time.

Do you think a Bank could provide every depositors life savings on the same day?

Everyone has to oversell.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Expand your moderator at work

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West

4 edits

Deleted by Illusionist.

Jeez

@comcast.net
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"It looks like Comcast should stop overselling their nodes instead of booting the people who use them!"

Oh God!

Do you really think a power company has enough capacity to deal with everyone turning on every light and every appliance in their house at the same time?

Do you Think Macdonald's has enough Burgers if everyone in town walked in at the same time.

Do you think a Bank could provide every depositors life savings on the same day?

Hob
Theres a big difference. The electric company only charges us for the electricity we use, MacDonalds doesn't sell us all the same burger and the bank is not lending us all the same dollars. Comcast charges us all for the same bandwidth 30 to 60 times over and calls it sharing. How is it sharing if they get all the money?

According to Comcast:

overselling = sharing

and according to the RIAA

sharing = theft

So:

overselling = theft.

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

(Homer) Mmmmm....Burger! (oh wait, that was a burger king promotion.)
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

EnasYorl
Thieves World

West
Reviews:
·Anveo

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Jeez
said by Jeez :

said by hobgoblin:

Oh God!

Hob
Theres a big difference. The electric company only charges us for the electricity we use, MacDonalds doesn't sell us all the same burger and the bank is not lending us all the same dollars. Comcast charges us all for the same bandwidth 30 to 60 times over and calls it sharing. How is it sharing if they get all the money?

According to Comcast:

overselling = sharing

and according to the RIAA

sharing = theft

So:

overselling = theft.
Your Logic is flawed.

Comcast Owns the Network.
You agreed to Comcast TOS.
You don't have to take the service.
If you want guarantee's get business class service to pay for a SLA.

Cindrox

@comcast.net
reply to Jeez
I received this same call. These "abuse reps" are complete morons who cant follow simple instructions. I have called them 3 times now in response to there calls. The first time I told there answering machine to call after 4:30pm they instead ignored that and called at 3:12pm when i was at work. The second time i told them just call my cell phone and gave them a proper number. They instead just call my house again at 8:45pm when i was not home. In response to that call i told them don't bother calling anymore i will not be wasting my money for there long distance number or wasteing my time talking to a machine and to just send me an email. Let see what there response to that is.

The only thing i have managed to find out was from a tech at 1-800-COMCAST, She informed me that the call has something to do with email but that was all she could tell me any more since they wont let her view the details. I find that funny considering i do not use comcast's email server's and instead use servers that i pay for and can actually filter spam on. I also know that i do not have any virus's, i have been monitoring the traffic at my router and there is nothing being sent in or out except for the traffic i know about. I really want to here what excuse these assholes give me when they finally email me.

I cant wait till there done installing FIOS here, i am so sick of Comcast and there bullshit.

Jeez

@comcast.net
said by Cindrox :

I received this same call. These "abuse reps" are complete morons who cant follow simple instructions. I have called them 3 times now in response to there calls. The first time I told there answering machine to call after 4:30pm they instead ignored that and called at 3:12pm when i was at work. The second time i told them just call my cell phone and gave them a proper number. They instead just call my house again at 8:45pm when i was not home. In response to that call i told them don't bother calling anymore i will not be wasting my money for there long distance number or wasteing my time talking to a machine and to just send me an email. Let see what there response to that is.

The only thing i have managed to find out was from a tech at 1-800-COMCAST, She informed me that the call has something to do with email but that was all she could tell me any more since they wont let her view the details. I find that funny considering i do not use comcast's email server's and instead use servers that i pay for and can actually filter spam on. I also know that i do not have any virus's, i have been monitoring the traffic at my router and there is nothing being sent in or out except for the traffic i know about. I really want to here what excuse these assholes give me when they finally email me.

I cant wait till there done installing FIOS here, i am so sick of Comcast and there bullshit.
I never received a call, but I can sure see why you are getting pissed. Their abuse process sounds maddening.

I'm just amazed that Comcast treats their customers like they are treating you and some of the other users here. It reminds me of Lilly Tomlin on the old Laugh-in show.

Where I work we got a call from Verizon because one of our machines had a spambot. Verizon called our tech about it and helped him fix the problem. They did not cut us off and threaten us like Comcast does.