»www.appleinsider.com/art ··· ?id=2398

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Pretty ballsy, and how convenient to blame the government. Why not charge 99 cents and make it a download in iTunes?

hyperjoe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Gates Mills, OH

hyperjoe to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5
considering many who complain about an apple product and fill out class suits because, "days later, the better and newer came out and we were not told", I can understand the charge.

MacWin
join:2003-06-26
Imperial, MO

MacWin

At least they have a valid reason.

"I’m not going to claim to understand this next part, which really just makes no sense to me at all, but the claim Apple’s making is that it _can’t_ give you the 802.11n-unlocking software for free. The reason: the Core 2 Duo Macs weren’t advertised as 802.11n-ready, and a little law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature for one of its products. Hence, said the Apple rep, the company’s not distributing new _features_ in Software Update any more, just _bug fixes._ Because of Sarbanes-Oxley. If this is an accurate statement of Apple’s position, which as an attorney (but not one with any Sarbanes background) I find at least plausible, this is really crazy."

»backstage.ilounge.com/in ··· c2d-mac/
zeromips
Premium Member
join:2006-10-02

zeromips to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5
Meh, its only $4.99, dunno what people are getting so freaked out about.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to MacWin

MVM

to MacWin
I call BS on the SO excuse. I've downloaded plenty of software from Software Update that has enabled features that were not there before.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

said by sporkme:

I call BS on the SO excuse.
SOX is causing ripples all over the universe, the excuse isn't that far fetched. Unfortunately I deal with SOX at work and it is a PITA.

Let's parse the 'excuse' for a solution...
quote:
According to the editor, the fee stems from a law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures.
The solution is for Apple to advertise new yet currently unavailable features. Then no problem with later enabling those features via software update.

MacWin
Imperial, MO

MacWin

"Unfortunately I deal with SOX at work and it is a PITA."

Makes me glad I'm with a private company.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5
Lame garbage...

Daniel8802
join:2004-07-09
Sewell, NJ

Daniel8802

its coming from appleinsider ....

leXicon5
Pelosi, SHUT YOUR Fing Pie Hole
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5 to zeromips

Premium Member

to zeromips
said by zeromips:

Meh, its only $4.99, dunno what people are getting so freaked out about.
You do know the crowd that you're referring to right? They don't flinch when the iPod they want is $499 but whine and moan about a product they have not seen yet...
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto to leXicon5

to leXicon5
If it's a choice between not giving away any more new features and risking Federal "pound me in the ass" prison, management will kill or charge for the features every time.

Time to hoist the Jolly Roger for third party 'n' users, I think.

nolancj
join:2002-06-30
Long Beach, CA

nolancj to MacWin

to MacWin
I'm in the software business. I can see the reasoning here. It could very well stem not so much from SOX (as it's called), but also existing contracts with gov't pricing schedules. This is a legitimate concern.

SOX rules prohibit you from selling "future features" with an existing sale. For example, if I were to sell you a piece of software, I have to represent what it does TODAY. I cannot give you "future" features. Most Software companies work around this with maintenance fees. You basically cannot sell what you do not have.

So, my guess is Apple is going to sell this as a new feature. Therefore, they can't give it away.

Stupid, but blame the accountants, Enron, MCI, and all the others that SOX came from.
said by MacWin:

At least they have a valid reason.

"I’m not going to claim to understand this next part, which really just makes no sense to me at all, but the claim Apple’s making is that it _can’t_ give you the 802.11n-unlocking software for free. The reason: the Core 2 Duo Macs weren’t advertised as 802.11n-ready, and a little law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature for one of its products. Hence, said the Apple rep, the company’s not distributing new _features_ in Software Update any more, just _bug fixes._ Because of Sarbanes-Oxley. If this is an accurate statement of Apple’s position, which as an attorney (but not one with any Sarbanes background) I find at least plausible, this is really crazy."

»backstage.ilounge.com/in ··· c2d-mac/
This is a feature, something
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto to bbarrera

to bbarrera
Advertising unavailable features is ALSO a violation.

MacWin
Imperial, MO

1 edit

MacWin

"Advertising unavailable features is ALSO a violation."

Shhh the people on the front page thread might hear you and then what would they be able to bash Apple about.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2

Premium Member

What's that???

Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

Easy enough

tell Application Airport

{give me my draft N}

end tell

Someone will find a way.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to leXicon5

MVM,

to leXicon5
I'm sure there will be third party apps that do this in no time. Apple just needs to charge to cover their asses. Look at the iBook G3/G4s for example. They were not advertised to have Extended Desktop, but a OpenFirmware hack was released that enabled it without any problems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to leXicon5

Premium Member

to leXicon5
Bah im sure the day the new AEBS hits the market, that enabler will be spread via Bit Torrent in a flash.

RIRWIN1983
join:2005-08-30
Columbus, OH

RIRWIN1983 to russotto

to russotto
then how did directv get away with sellng its hr-20 hddvr that had the connections for ota,network,ect... but did not work because they needed to be enabled via software updates once they got the outher bugs fixed.

tokevino
Rain
join:2001-12-03
AZ

1 recommendation

tokevino to leXicon5

to leXicon5
Normally, a company would just force your to buy a new draft-n card for $30~40, if not more.

$5 is reasonable to let Apple recover the costs of transaction and accounting and keep the share holders happy as well.

Don't listen to what front-pagers have to say: they have no idea what they were talking about.

furlonium
join:2002-05-08
Allentown, PA

furlonium

Of course not - nobody else's opinion matters but the zealots, right? And if this were Microsoft's happenings, would the people in the MS forum expect everyone to keep quiet? HELL no, there would be 15 pages of comments of "M$" bashing.

tokevino
Rain
AZ

2 edits

tokevino

said by furlonium:

Of course not - nobody else's opinion matters but the zealots, right? And if this were Microsoft's happenings, would the people in the MS forum expect everyone to keep quiet? HELL no, there would be 15 pages of comments of "M$" bashing.
Amount people who bash, more MS fans than Linux or Apple fans combined...probably at 1000:1 ratio...

furlonium
Allentown, PA

furlonium

said by tokevino:
said by furlonium:

Amount people who bash, more MS fans than Linux or Apple fans combined...probably at 1000:1 ratio...
Hey - that ratio sounds about right for the amount of Windows users vs. Linux/Apple users

tokevino
Rain
AZ

2 edits

tokevino

said by furlonium:
said by tokevino:
said by furlonium:

Hey - that ratio sounds about right for the amount of Windows users vs. Linux/Apple users
Nope: Mac has roughly 4 to 5 % right now, linux has about 1%, could be higher or lower; so let's say 6% of Mac and Linux users combined, that's a ratio of 15~16:1. (94:6)

furlonium
Allentown, PA

furlonium

said by tokevino:

Nope: Mac has roughly 5 to 6 % right now, linux has about 1%, could be higher or lower; so let's say 6% of Mac and Linux users combined, that's a ratio of 15~16:1. (94:6)
From the commercials I've seen, aren't you Mac people supposed to have a sense of humor? Maybe pick up on a little sarcasm? Right on, jolly-o!

You can count me in with the 94% and the 1%, as I dual boot with Slackware.

tokevino
Rain
AZ

tokevino

said by furlonium:
said by tokevino:

Nope: Mac has roughly 5 to 6 % right now, linux has about 1%, could be higher or lower; so let's say 6% of Mac and Linux users combined, that's a ratio of 15~16:1. (94:6)
From the commercials I've seen, aren't you Mac people supposed to have a sense of humor? Maybe pick up on a little sarcasm? Right on, jolly-o!

You can count me in with the 94% and the 1%, as I dual boot with Slackware.
I guess I do miss-count myself....

I am in the 94%, the 5%, as well as the 1%.... Oh, wait! I have 2 94%s, 2 5%s, and 2 1%s....

lol
ross7
join:2000-08-16

1 recommendation

ross7 to leXicon5

to leXicon5
Frankly, it's analogous to Telcos charging a "Regulatory Recovery Fee". It is totally made up, doesn't relate in any demonstrable way to real cost, and/or costs are so tenuously associated and nebulous, they amount to zilch. Furthermore, "n" capabilty is an existent feature of the hardware that has been previously disabled, not added, and the hardware has already been paid for. It's like wanting to charge an additional fee to purchasers because a new use has been found for any existing, already purchased product. How many purchasers of handheld "massage" devices are going to be charged for the unadvertised x-rated capabilities inherent to the hardware when users apply it to the "right" software patch?

tokevino
Rain
AZ

1 edit

tokevino

said by ross7:

Frankly, it's analogous to Telcos charging a "Regulatory Recovery Fee". It is totally made up, doesn't relate in any demonstrable way to real cost, and/or costs are so tenuously associated and nebulous, they amount to zilch. Furthermore, "n" capabilty is an existent feature of the hardware that has been previously disabled, not added, and the hardware has already been paid for. It's like wanting to charge an additional fee to purchasers because a new use has been found for any existing, already purchased product. How many purchasers of handheld "massage" devices are going to be charged for the unadvertised x-rated capabilities inherent to the hardware when users apply it to the "right" software patch?
IT is IT, accounting is accounting. You didn't advertise it? then the feature didn't exist. Just like you always expense R&D costs regardless what you did.
Expand your moderator at work