Columbia, MO

19 recommendations

alphapointe

MVM

Blind Photography

Click for full size
EASTMAN KODAK Z740 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
6.3mm 1/8th F2.8 ISO140

As some of you may know, I'm totally blind. I use a program called JAWS to navigate the computer. I have taken to using a digital camera to record some of the things that I "see" (with my hands) and hear. I then have someone look at them and tell me how they came out.

This is the first image that we came up with that seemed to come out well.

What do you all think?

Also, all of my pictures are taken exclusively by me, no one helps me compose or frame the shot, get correct lighting, nothing. 70% of my images from the memory card are useless according to my sighted friends. Keep this in mind.

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist

Premium Member

Under the circumstances, I don't think it is that bad at all. Has better DOF control then many of those who can actually see!

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

Edit This to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
I find this absolutely amazing. Keep this up and you'll be No. 1 on Digg. Congrats on a great image. I admire your positive attitude and creative mind.

Pretorious
Theres more behind the pic than the wall
MVM
join:2003-01-08

Pretorious to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
I wish I could shake your hand sir. This is totally amazing to say the least. I admire your image and you as much. Keep up the great work, I would love to see more from you.

B52GUNR
KM 7D love and D5 Nirvana
MVM
join:2001-03-06
Suisun City, CA

B52GUNR to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
You nailed it. It is funny you mention this, in a thread here it was asked "What would make you stop photography?" my response was death or blindness, but blindness is negotiable. I was not being tongue in cheek, as I figured that other senses kick in and perhaps enough to compensate and still enable me to do something I love to do.

It seems that I was correct, you're an inspiration to many, I'm sure.

Wyattx17
Wyatt
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Wilton, CA

1 recommendation

Wyattx17 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
That's amazing. Here is a youtube video on some awesome new technology for the blind. Seeing with your tongue!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 56D2mvN0

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Thats pretty amazing! I like the pic too!

jays2345
join:2006-05-16
va.

jays2345 to alphapointe

to alphapointe
not bad at all beats alot of my pics lol

Charliebrown5
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium Member
join:2001-07-17
Australia

Charliebrown5 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Keep up the good work and the very positive attitude.
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn to alphapointe

to alphapointe
This is off-subject, but I have been trying to get someone who is totally blind to be able to browse the internet, do e-mail, Word, etc. The person I'm working with originally was sighted but lost his eyesight from diabetes.

How is your experience working with JAWS? Did you find it easy to learn?

Thanks,

Timm

weeksben1
Premium Member
join:2004-02-26
Clarkston, MI

weeksben1 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Thats quite cool, and please keep up the great and quite intresting work.

s bassaw
join:2006-06-11
New Rochelle, NY

s bassaw to alphapointe

to alphapointe
In New York City, there is a club for just blind photographers. they had a whole demonstration about it at the Met a few months ago.. Very cool stuff.
Bigfoot
Premium Member
join:2005-07-05
Robbinsville, NC

Bigfoot

Premium Member

under the circumstances I think you did very well with your pic

Rich72
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Colchester, CT

Rich72 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Very cool - post more!

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

1 recommendation

altermatt to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
What I find fascinating is that it is a shot of something with a LOT of texture, details, etc. Do you find that those tend to be your subjects? I can see that happening because you use your hands to "see": a sighted photographer might be attracted by color or composition, while interesting texture is bound to engage you more. What do you think?

Excellent, interesting shot. Kudos.

Brianv5
Low Level Functionary
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Keyser, WV

Brianv5 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Hey, Stock Art! Keep it coming!

JRSlater8
Do or do not... there is no try
Premium Member
join:2004-08-12

JRSlater8 to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Wow! Talk about inspirational and impressive at the same time! I have deteriorating vision though nothing close to being totally blind. I'm very curious as to know how you compose images if you can't see them. What sort of techniques do you use? I am very impressed you have not allowed this to impede your photography, whether it be a a hobby or other wise.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
You are amazing to me, i wish i could meet you and tell you this face to face. Keep up the amazing work.

kidpics
Premium Member
join:2006-01-23
Tomball, TX

kidpics to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Actually, I think you might have an advantage over the rest of us - you probably "feel" more than we do! I think the more you get into this, the emotion you feel in your photos will go so much deeper than the rest of us! I think you ought to take your story and portfolio and take it to your local newspaper - I think they would find it just as amazing as we have. I can't wait to see more of your work.

you know...my grandmother was an artist (painted with oil) and eventually lost her eyesight. She regrettably quit painting after many years of squinting! But looking at your work - I wished she would have just closed her eyes and painted with her heart and soul. It probably would have been her best work ever!!!!

Thanks for sharing your photo and story. I found it very touching.

X Man
Sober
Premium Member
join:2005-09-05
USA

1 edit

X Man to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
said by alphapointe:

...70% of my images from the memory card are useless according to my sighted friends. Keep this in mind.

I have the exact same problem.

Great photo, keep up the good work!

Regards,
Mike

{edit} clarity [for M A R K ]

hally
Premium Member
join:2000-02-21
Long Beach, NY

hally

Premium Member

I like it! The different size tubular "thingies" are how you tell which keys are which I take it?

The topic caught my eye as I have a dear friend who is totally blind. It amazes me the things he can do with the computer, he does third level phone tech support for a VOIP company working out of his house. He doesn't take pictures though.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to X Man

Premium Member

to X Man
Your blind? Im sorry im lost.

kidpics
Premium Member
join:2006-01-23
Tomball, TX

kidpics to Wyattx17

Premium Member

to Wyattx17
said by Wyattx17:

That's amazing. Here is a youtube video on some awesome new technology for the blind. Seeing with your tongue!
Wow! That was amazing!!!!

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf to alphapointe

Premium Member

to alphapointe
Holy Toledo Batman!

Better picture than I've taken in years! I'm in awe of your talent sir!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
My goodness. Had you not said anything about being blind, I still would have liked the image, particularly the position that the camera was held to take it. The angle is quite unique and the detail is spot on. One can easily read the writing on the plastic ties present. The colors and everything are just right. I do hope that you take more shots. You can do nothing but improve, starting from a pretty good spot. Some seeing eyed folks, myself included, would be delighted to get a shot this good.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

2 recommendations

alphapointe

MVM

Click for full size
6.3mm 1/60th F2.8 ISO80

How about this one? Taken a few minutes ago, with no sighted help.

Sefirato
Turambar, Master of Fate
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08
Anchorage, AK

Sefirato

Premium Member

These really look great for a blind photographer to take! Nice hands (pun intended!)

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
I am blown away by the texture in the picture of the keys! Well done!!!

And I think the picture you took of your hand on the clock is a hoot -- it's not even a Braille clock -- LOL!!!

(Keep up the great work! I'm just a tad bit down the road from you, and am glad to know that there is someone else here in the land of the Mighty Mo who is trying out new things!!!)

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

1 edit

2 recommendations

alphapointe

MVM

Click for full size
12.4mm 1/30th F3.2 ISO140

Click for full size
6.3mm 1/45th F2.8 ISO80

Click for full size
6.3mm 1/15th F2.8 ISO140

The comment about the (non) braille clock gave me an idea: How about a few macro shots of the braille writer and some braille?

In case it isn't obvious, macro shots are easiest for me, as I can find the subject with one hand and shoot with the other.

EDIT: I screwed it up, in case you were wondering, the braille reads "hear sherri" and should read "dear sherri". My fingers slipped.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

said by alphapointe:

I screwed it up, in case you were wondering, the braille reads "hear sherri" and should read "dear sherri". My fingers slipped.
Luckily, the photography was still good, which is all we care about here . Once again, really enjoying this thread.

I'm especially interested in s bassaw's post about the New York city club for blind photographers; how interesting! Would like a link for that to pass along. And I wonder if they have such clubs elsewhere as well.